First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
What do you think a quaife or similar LSD would cost ballpark, for purchase and install? I thought I read somewhere, the new Z LSD is of the clutch pack variety. So maybe a case could be made for a Sport with better performing aftermarket LSD.
The diffs are probably gonna run at least a grand, then figure a few hours of labor on top of that. It's not terribly expensive, but it's not one of the first mods I'd want to install, especially when it should be coming straight from the factory on a 400hp, twin turbo, RWD car.

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
And the Q50 didn't jump from VQ37 to VR30 either, Nissan is shooting themselves in the foot.

I bet they are thinking "Well if Toyota can charge 50k....."
Let’s not forget that PRE-pandemic - the Supra could be had for BELOW MSRP. Even during the beginning of the pandemic - when I was shopping for a CTR - which I couldn’t find at MSRP - the Supra WAS available for a few grand below MSRP - thus making it the better ‘bargain’. Once the market returns to normal - the Z and Supra will go back to not holding their value very well and I’ll look to pick one up on the used market for cheap (Granted - my current Z will tank in value as well haha).

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
This too, I think we were all expecting. Spoiler alert: Z lost to everything they put it up against - but it sure as shit looked like a million bucks losing.
This car is about more than just straight line speed, though I’m sure different tires would fix that. The new Z is much more well rounded than those cars. What percentage of Z buyers are taking them to the drag strip or doing track days I wonder?

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
What percentage of Z buyers are taking them to the drag strip or doing track days I wonder?
Likely a single digit percentage ... unless you count the boy racer brigade who will complete wreck it by sticking a massive wing on the back, lowering it, angling the wheels, etc. just to hoon around the streets, but that's more likely to happen as second/third-hand ones come up for sale.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
She actually knew how to take it to the dealer at the maintenance intervals, she even forked over the prepaid maintenance (which transferred over to me via CPO)

Before the Z4 I was one of those that wouldn't touch a Euro with a 10 foot pole because of how unreliable they are. A buddy of mine has a crippling AMG addiction and he's thrown so much money out the window it's not funny.

I figured "CPO, low miles, has records, pre paid maintenance, Bumper to Bumper warranty (that saved me multiple times) - How bad could it be?!"

When it goes down, it's down for a month - I put more miles on loaners than I did my own car.
It goes down often because it's fragile.
It's not the motor you have to worry about, it's everything else surrounding it.
I couldn't work on the damned thing myself 1/2 the time, BMW really does have a lot of custom tools for dumb shit.
Too electronic for it's own good.

It was great when it ran right, that wasn't often.
Btw, I highly recommend 3k oci for VR30, regardless of any trips to Mexico. I think you were on the money do
This car is about more than just straight line speed, though I’m sure different tires would fix that. The new Z is much more well rounded than those cars. What percentage of Z buyers are taking them to the drag strip or doing track days I wonder?
Agree 💯

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Today was a big letdown - I mean, this was to be the ‘Supra Killer’ and put Nissan back into ‘relevancy‘ - but it looks like it is not. The one thing that does come to mind and watching several videos (like we all have) on the Z - it looks like Nissan is making this more of a ‘tuner’ car than what the 370z was in that money was spared in things such as the exhaust - bc we all know we will wind up modifying that into something from Fast Intentions or similar brand.

Regardless - I am thinking if I were to look at the new Z - I would lean more toward the base model and look to spend the $12K to modify it to my liking - such as exhaust, wheels and tires and bigger brakes; and probably have quite a bit leftover for performance mods on top it.
Don't forget to add a mechanical diff to that list.

XinaZ

First Name
Xzavier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Occupation
Detailer for Tesla

stock exhaust and cats. On 93 tune.
3.53 0-60
11.61 1/4

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Let’s not forget that PRE-pandemic - the Supra could be had for BELOW MSRP. Even during the beginning of the pandemic - when I was shopping for a CTR - which I couldn’t find at MSRP - the Supra WAS available for a few grand below MSRP - thus making it the better ‘bargain’. Once the market returns to normal - the Z and Supra will go back to not holding their value very well and I’ll look to pick one up on the used market for cheap (Granted - my current Z will tank in value as well haha).
The C8 killed what hype the Supra had, But then it became unobtainium. The Z was supposed to be the final nail in the coffin but Toyota counted that real quick with a stick and today's pricing sure is hell didn't help.

300ZTT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
The C8 killed what hype the Supra had, But then it became unobtainium. The Z was supposed to be the final nail in the coffin but Toyota counted that real quick with a stick and today's pricing sure is hell didn't help.
I'm not sure if C8 ever "became" unobtainium. I think it WAS unbotainium from the start.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I think a lot of people are missing the point. I'm fine with the Z's performance, but at that price point ($50k) I'm not, especially compared to the competition at that price point. At $40-45k I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy a performance model.
But see we think your missing the point. It’s more enjoyable to drive than the Supra…a number of reviews have now said so.

we said it all along…there will be 10% of people who want to track it…and for those people sure it might not be the right choice, but for the 90% who want it for enjoyment it is

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
What do you think a quaife or similar LSD would cost ballpark, for purchase and install? I thought I read somewhere, the new Z LSD is of the clutch pack variety. So maybe a case could be made for a Sport with better performing aftermarket LSD.
I paid $2300 out the door for an Eaton TruTrac HLSD in my Titan.

That was about 3 years ago and it works awesome.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Thanks for that, I promise I'm not some armchair racer lol

Screenshot_20220516-182955.png
Was this on the dyno? 😂😎
Just screwing with you.

Real talk though, fuel dilution is a real problem on DI motors like vr30. And by that I mean the fuel dilutes the oil at a quicker clip than port injection. Solution is more frequent oci. 3k is perfect.