OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Im sure Nissan is well aware of the Supra being underrated. I was hoping the Z would be underrated in turn. That was a pretty hard pull after getting jumped and that car is the automatic at that. Its hard for me to hear now ATM, but it seems the Z took a little time to kick down.
I'm assuming the STI just rolled up on the Z, lined up a "race" and beeped his horn to play with him and then after a second the Z driver probably said "F it" and hit the gas. I will say however with the 370Z 7AT there is about a 0.5-1 second delayed throttle response. However, if you use the paddle shifters to drop a gear or two the throttle response is much more instantaneous. Keep in mind though this is easily fixed with a tune for the 370Z. I'm going to assume the new 9AT will be more responsive from factory and if not a tune will fix that.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
Im sure Nissan is well aware of the Supra being underrated. I was hoping the Z would be underrated in turn. That was a pretty hard pull after getting jumped and that car is the automatic at that. Its hard for me to hear now ATM, but it seems the Z took a little time to kick down.
Or he could be just not in Sport Mode at the time when he decided to give it the beans?

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Or he could be just not in Sport Mode at the time when he decided to give it the beans?
Kickdowns in non-sport mode are pretty slow even on the OG 8ZF, so the 9ZF, if he wasn't in sport mode would incur a slight delay, but the paddles, def handle the kickdown better if he downshifted manually. Regardless, seems like the turbo's spool nicely and the shifts are pretty quick for the car to be moving that well against a STI.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Looking good, strong pull indeed, basically walked away. The manual may or may not be as fast as Sport mode, it’s a good AT.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43732...prototype-gap-a-subaru-wrx-sti-on-the-highway

wondering if they pulled some inspiration from this forum for the article -

First, saw this - "Judging from the color, the lack of center caps, and the placement of black tape, this Nissan appears to be the exact same development mule we saw getting launched hard late last year. Regardless, Nissan's test drivers apparently like to party."

which, sure, perhaps he just pieced it together like I did, but then

"Got a tip or question for the author about taking Subarus to Gapplebee's? You can reach them here: [email protected]" was all @bboypuertoroc

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43732...prototype-gap-a-subaru-wrx-sti-on-the-highway

wondering if they pulled some inspiration from this forum for the article -

First, saw this - "Judging from the color, the lack of center caps, and the placement of black tape, this Nissan appears to be the exact same development mule we saw getting launched hard late last year. Regardless, Nissan's test drivers apparently like to party."

which, sure, perhaps he just pieced it together like I did, but then

"Got a tip or question for the author about taking Subarus to Gapplebee's? You can reach them here: [email protected]" was all @bboypuertoroc
This is great publicity for the Z. The STI and old 370Z have long battled for the last decade of who is faster. Even with when the new STI comes out I'm more than sure the new Z will walk it.

But side note the term 'gapplebees' is a common meme in the racing scene. ?

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR
Got to be honest, not that impressed. The STI is a 4 cylinder car designed for the corners not a roll race set up so a 400 HP 6 cylinder should pull away in roll scenario. However I don’t take much from these videos without a lot of info from the other car

OP
OP
Andaesthetics

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Got to be honest, not that impressed. The STI is a 4 cylinder car designed for the corners not a roll race set up so a 400 HP 6 cylinder should pull away in roll scenario. However I don’t take much from these videos without a lot of info from the other car
Let me tell you why you should be impressed. The STI doesn't just have a 4-cyclinder, but a turbo 2.5L 4-cyclinder putting out 305HP 290TQ and a 0-60 around 5 seconds if not under stock. Now with 3 basic bolt-ons and a tune the STI can put down 320+whp and tq easy(~400HP to the crank). That's not slow nor is an STI necessarily designed for corners. Yes it has a wing, but it's hardly what I'd call a "track car". You'll see far more STIs modded and doing dig/roll racing than you will ever see on a track. Just do a search on YouTube of 'Subaru STI racing'. They are very capable in a straight line, especially when modded.

Now let's say the STI in this video is indeed modded (likely because when he down shifts it pops quite a bit and the exhaust is fairly loud which is an indication of mods and probably a tune). In terms of power, a modded and tuned STI would be close to a stock 2023 Z. I'm not saying it's amazing, however, seeing how much and how easily the Z gains space between the presumably modded STI is indeed impressive.

The WRX STI is also a major competitor to the Z.
- JDM sports car
- Starts around $42k, which is exactly around what the new Z will be
- new STI model coming in the next year seeing as the new WRX just released

Now what will really be impressive is seeing if it beats the Supra, of course. I'd also like to see how it does against the 5.0 V8 Mustang.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Damned thing ain't even out yet.....serving up Gapperoni and Cheese already lmfao

As a "Mexican Citizen" myself, I love this video - I hope like hell that test driver doesn't lose his job, deserves a raise if you ask me......this is going to build hype.

They need to drop one off during TX2k22 :cool:

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
The STI is hardly what I would state "designed for the corners.." stock they understeer pretty bad. They handle excellent on loose gravel or snow though. My friends 19 STI with an intake, exhaust and a light tune was putting 330ish whp

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I kind of agree. WRX's and STI's aren't exactly known as being a roll racer. I had a 2016 GTI DSG, tuned, and in the VW community (big beef between WRX/STI and GTI/R) it's well established that a moderately tuned GTI/R can put cars on a fairly expensively modded WRX/STI, on a roll. On a dig, yeah, WRX/STI all day. Heck, isn't a stock G37x just as quick as the STI? 104-105mph in the 1/4?

Anyways, I am not so sure how much was the Z even trying? As he pulled away, the Z didn't really seem to be going significantly faster than other vehicles around him.

Anyways, STIs don't impress me.

pakmanz35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Infiniti G37xS
I kind of agree. WRX's and STI's aren't exactly known as being a roll racer. I had a 2016 GTI DSG, tuned, and in the VW community (big beef between WRX/STI and GTI/R) it's well established that a moderately tuned GTI/R can put cars on a fairly expensively modded WRX/STI, on a roll. On a dig, yeah, WRX/STI all day. Heck, isn't a stock G37x just as quick as the STI? 104-105mph in the 1/4?
Stock G37x - from what I've seen are 99mph-102mph in the 1/4. They're pretty heavy

EDIT: Car and Driver review posted a 102mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a16579116/2009-infiniti-g37x-coupe-instrumented-test/

Offtopic
Elantra N and Kona N are dynoing 280whp and 295wtq. DCT transmission and weigh around 3300lbs. Not bad.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
You say that but a single turbo Z got walked by my little 4 cylinder back when it was just extremely basic bolt ons.

STIs ain't Evos but a modded one will give plenty of cars a run for their money. Seeing the stock Z put a bus or two on it was pretty impressive.

Edit: Oh, look what I found...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Stock G37x - from what I've seen are 99mph-102mph in the 1/4. They're pretty heavy

EDIT: Car and Driver review posted a 102mph
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a16579116/2009-infiniti-g37x-coupe-instrumented-test/

Offtopic
Elantra N and Kona N are dynoing 280whp and 295wtq. DCT transmission and weigh around 3300lbs. Not bad.

Most stock G37x coupes run 102-104.
An STI would just barely Nick it, if the STI driver was really on top of his shifting.

Nonetheless, that's relatively slow these days.

I predict a 1/4 mile trap speed of at least 111mph for the new Z 9AT. The 9AT will easily pull away from even a moderately modified STI.