Z Wi-Fi won't connect to my house

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
So, I finally got a chance to poke around at the infotainment system a bit. The car comes with a free 4 or 5 months of some subscription or another, which I may not continue after the trial expires, but I like the idea updating software and such.

Today I tried to connect my car to my home Wi-Fi, and I couldn't. I have a long password, and the car shut me down by allowing only a short password.

Anybody else bump into this?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
So, I finally got a chance to poke around at the infotainment system a bit. The car comes with a free 4 or 5 months of some subscription or another, which I may not continue after the trial expires, but I like the idea updating software and such.

Today I tried to connect my car to my home Wi-Fi, and I couldn't. I have a long password, and the car shut me down by allowing only a short password.

Anybody else bump into this?
Can you set up an extra wifi channel that uses a shorter password, like WEP?

It's common to have this issue with some devices that don't comply with some of the newer security protocols.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can you set up an extra wifi channel that uses a shorter password, like WEP?

It's common to have this issue with some devices that don't comply with some of the newer security protocols.
I'd prefer not to weaken my network just so the Z can connect.

All my other Wi-Fi devices (including my water heater!?) work. Seems like a Nissan-specific issue.

I think I'll bug Nissan to fix it, but I expect to get nowhere.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I'd prefer not to weaken my network just so the Z can connect.

All my other Wi-Fi devices work (including my water heater!?) work. Seems like a Nissan-specific issue.

I think I'll bug Nissan to fix it, but I expect to get nowhere.
If my hunch is right, it's not a bug. It's actually a chipset the Z uses that doesn't support advanced wifi security.

Do you have an app on your phone to manage your wifi? You can setup a WEP channel and turn it off from your phone when you're done connecting to the Z.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If my hunch is right, it's not a bug. It's actually a chipset the Z uses that doesn't support advanced wifi security.

Do you have an app on your phone to manage your wifi? You can setup a WEP channel and turn it off from your phone when you're done connecting to the Z.
Oh yeah. I tried the phone as a hot spot. That worked easily. The phone is set up as WPA2/WPA3. WPA2 allows up to a 63-character passphrase. On my phone it's shorter, so I was able to enter it into the Z. I think the Z is just incorrectly limiting the passphrase length. Bug.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Oh yeah. I tried the phone as a hot spot. That worked easily. The phone is set up as WPA2/WPA3. WPA2 allows up to a 63-character passphrase. On my phone it's shorter, so I was able to enter it into the Z. I think the Z is just incorrectly limiting the passphrase length. Bug.
Bug, eh? We'll see about that.....

BTW, did anything happen when you got the Z online? Any updates get pushed?

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)