your short list of cars?

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
My #1 was a C8 but I was a victim of greedy dealership bullshit.

Right now I'm locked onto the new Z.

Wouldn't mind a Supra but I like to drive with windows down/music up plus, I still have PTSD from my N54's reliability. I actually don't mind the ZF8 - it's just as snappy as any DCT I've driven.

If the Z is stupid, C7 or a 6th Gen SS 1LE are the only other cars I'd want to own......if I was a glutton for punishment I guess I'd go find another E89 Z4 lol

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
My #1 was a C8 but I was a victim of greedy dealership bullshit.

Right now I'm locked onto the new Z.

Wouldn't mind a Supra but I like to drive with windows down/music up plus, I still have PTSD from my N54's reliability. I actually don't mind the ZF8 - it's just as snappy as any DCT I've driven.

If the Z is stupid, C7 or a 6th Gen SS 1LE are the only other cars I'd want to own......if I was a glutton for punishment I guess I'd go find another E89 Z4 lol
I'm embarrassed at how much I've spent maintaining a N54, but when everything runs right it is one hell of a ride. I've thought about getting a 2nd one either in the form of a 135is or a 1M, but the latter is unobtainable for me at this point. No way I'm spending that much on a car with a N54 after what I know. I just need mine to keep ticking until I get my Z so that the 335i is no longer my daily and then I can go bananas with it.

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
B58 is superior to the dreaded N54. It’s a closed deck block. All the issues of the N54 got resolved. 20k miles now with zero issues, regular oil change between 3,500-5,000 w/ 5W-30/40.

Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI (Sold)
My backup cars in case the Z doesn't happen are:

2022 m240i X-Drive
MK8 Golf R
2022 Supra 3.0

Not necessarily in that order. With the current supply chain & political b.s. going on, it is the WORST time to buy a car, as everyone knows. Sold my GTI last week at an inflated price. If I'd sold it before the end of 2021, I'd have gotten more $$, but just wasn't ready to let it go. Even now, I am sad ?. I have an urge to replace it with another, even better Golf, ie the MK8 R, but afraid I will regret it after I see Zs running around on the streets this Summer, or God forbid, the Fall. The m240i is heavy AF but otherwise a lot of car for the money as long as it isn't full of options you don't need. It shares the awesome B58 engine with the Supra.

Supra is on the list too. Thing is, you can get an m240i now and into 2022 at MSRP. MK8 Golf Rs will be hitting dealerships in a couple more weeks, many of them already pre-sold. I have heard of $5k markups on Rs, at some dealers. Supras are marked up, as we know. However, all this shall pass. Supply chain b.s. will also pass. Car makers love money, so they will make lots of cars to fill the gap. By late 2022 prices will (probably) be back to normal and there will (probably) be plenty of supply. If one can wait that long. Anywho, we will Z what happens.

But I know many of you are holding out for a Z, come Hell or High Water, and I respect that. ?

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
Supras are marked up, as we know.

But I know many of you are holding out for a Z, come Hell or High Water, and I respect that. ?
You can get Supras at MSRP if you are willing to travel. Same with the Z, must be willing to travel.

bybepl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cayman S
Occupation
IT
So to be more specific what exists?

Not much...

Requirements that include:
-rear wheel drive
-under 10 lbs per horsepower / torque
-under 50k

What is there?

Not Miata, not brz, not golf R, not civic type r, not Wrx sti

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
B58 is superior to the dreaded N54. It’s a closed deck block. All the issues of the N54 got resolved. 20k miles now with zero issues, regular oil change between 3,500-5,000 w/ 5W-30/40.
Yes, they definitely made some improvements with the B58. I'm not sure how often being open deck factors in to N54 failure, even up to 800hp, but I like that they addressed crank hub failure, moved timing, and switched back to a mechanical waterpump for the B58. It doesn't seem like it has any of the fuel pump or injector issues either that some have, and I'm guessing it will be easier/cheaper to maintain long term being single turbo. I'm sure other improvements were made as well.

My biggest gripe is really just the frequency in which many of the gaskets wear out and the time involved to replace them. Not sure what they did on the B58 to remedy that. Wastegate rattle and having to change plugs/coils often doesn't bother me. A lot of the parts on the car now are covered by FCP Euro, so some of the future cost will be minimal.

I actually find a lot of the other issues with the N54 to be blown out of proportion or at the very least they don't match my experience, much like I'm sure you find B58 oil consumption blown out of proportion since it doesn't seem to match yours.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My backup cars in case the Z doesn't happen are:

2022 m240i X-Drive
MK8 Golf R
2022 Supra 3.0

Not necessarily in that order. With the current supply chain & political b.s. going on, it is the WORST time to buy a car, as everyone knows. Sold my GTI last week at an inflated price. If I'd sold it before the end of 2021, I'd have gotten more $$, but just wasn't ready to let it go. Even now, I am sad ?. I have an urge to replace it with another, even better Golf, ie the MK8 R, but afraid I will regret it after I see Zs running around on the streets this Summer, or God forbid, the Fall. The m240i is heavy AF but otherwise a lot of car for the money as long as it isn't full of options you don't need. It shares the awesome B58 engine with the Supra.

Supra is on the list too. Thing is, you can get an m240i now and into 2022 at MSRP. MK8 Golf Rs will be hitting dealerships in a couple more weeks, many of them already pre-sold. I have heard of $5k markups on Rs, at some dealers. Supras are marked up, as we know. However, all this shall pass. Supply chain b.s. will also pass. Car makers love money, so they will make lots of cars to fill the gap. By late 2022 prices will (probably) be back to normal and there will (probably) be plenty of supply. If one can wait that long. Anywho, we will Z what happens.

Bro... when I bought my 2016 GTI, even during dieselgate, Golf R were going for full MSRP, and difficult to find too.

Snake

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0, 2009 E93 335i
Occupation
Sales
I'm embarrassed at how much I've spent maintaining a N54, but when everything runs right it is one hell of a ride. I've thought about getting a 2nd one either in the form of a 135is or a 1M, but the latter is unobtainable for me at this point. No way I'm spending that much on a car with a N54 after what I know. I just need mine to keep ticking until I get my Z so that the 335i is no longer my daily and then I can go bananas with it.
You hit the nail on the head bud, the N54 is sweet when running right!! My wife drives the 335i as a daily and that thing is always in the shop. I’m sure there is an issue with the injectors or the fuel pump now , so we will see how much longer it’s in the the stable. I keep telling her to dump it but the girl likes her convertible BMW. Told her it stood for Broke my wallet ? but she’s a stubborn one.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
..if no z, then wait for:
1. '17+ F80 M3 6MT
2. '15+ GTR
3. 6MT GT4

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
I was problem free at 20k as well, it had 80k when I got rid of it.

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
I was problem free at 20k as well, it had 80k when I got rid of it.
Gen 1 of the B58 were ok. Gen 2 is where it’s at. Should of gotten the Toyota version. ?

I don’t know if you know but the b58 in the Supra was stripped down and tested by Toyota. Toyota told BMW these parts did not meet Toyota standards. BMW went back to reengineer those parts to meet Toyota’s standards. There aren’t much engine issues in the Supra community with the b58. They are holding 700-800hp stock block and internals. Transmission needs an upgrade but that’s about it for stock engine. There are many forge components and closed deck design helps.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
CIO
Gen 1 of the B58 were ok. Gen 2 is where it’s at. Should of gotten the Toyota version. ?

I don’t know if you know but the b58 in the Supra was stripped down and tested by Toyota. Toyota told BMW these parts did not meet Toyota standards. BMW went back to reengineer those parts to meet Toyota’s standards. There aren’t much engine issues in the Supra community with the b58. They are holding 700-800hp stock block and internals. Transmission needs an upgrade but that’s about it for stock engine. There are many forge components and closed deck design helps.
I fully understand, believe it or not I actually like the Supra and respect it - I was one of the many unfounded haters.......until I drove one.

The ZF8 in that car is 90% as snappy as any DCT, sounds wonderful, has the power, has the look....best of all it's a BMW under the skin this means it's crazy cheap to get gains. B58 is the new N54.

I'm just not a fan of the handling compared to other stuff I've driven (that car feels every bit it's weight) or the buffeting with the windows down and the ridiculous side overhangs (these were the major deal breakers for me)

If we didn't live in Covid and C8s weren't unobtainum, I still find it a hard sell to go Mk V over C8 - for 3.0 money there's options.

For me, I loved my 370Z.....It just needed more power to be "perfect" in my eyes - This is why I'm so excited for the new Z. It's a perfected 370Z.

Only other cars I loved more was my FD or my Z4 (when it actually ran right lol) Hell, if the E89 was as reliable as a Nissan - I woulda never gotten rid of it. The motor was actually the solid bit - everything else around it is what failed.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I love hearing fans of certain brands keep saying "oh no, they've gotten much better than before" every generation. Referring to their relatively new vehicle being more reliable than the old versions.

Been hearing this for nearly 30 years now. Always turns out the reputation for poor reliability always shows up eventually.

Metal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom
So just a little update cause I havent seen the car mentioned in here.
My short list is now down to one alternative. If I dont get the Z, I'm going to get a lightly used ATS-V.
Manual, Rwd, twin turbo V6, slightly faster than supra on recorded lap times, luxurious, dependable (moreso than the other luxury sports in the class), and from everything I've heard the chassis feel and handling is off the charts.