Whose Z reviews are you most looking forwards to? / Embargo lifts on 5/16. Which reviews will you watch first and why? Go....

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
There should be a first-drive event at some point in the next 3 or so months - whose reviews are you most eager for, and why?

For me SavageGeese would be near the top of the list - he's honest (he even found much to critique about his personal M3 a few years ago), goes into detail about all aspects of both street and track driving, and delineates technical details at greater depth than just about anyone else. However, he basically eviscerated the 370Z in his "farewell" review last year so I have serious doubts he'll be getting an invite to the first-drive event lol. Nissan would have to be supremely confident in the new Z to let him anywhere near it.

Jason Cammisa also does some thorough work, if you can get past his "American-hyper" delivery style. Redline is good for all the more mundane stuff (is the glovebox damped and lined?). The Throttle House duo is fun and usually has something insightful to add, and one of them at least is a very good driver (track instructor). Oh and Engineering Explained - his takes can be interesting.

I'd love to see a Jack Baruth review - remember him from TTAC?

Most of the rest seem to love just about anything they review (don't bite the hand that feeds you ...), so I don't give their praise very much weight. The major magazines tend to be that way with their initial takes as well, but get closer to the truth a year or so later in their comparison reviews.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Agreed with all of the above, especially Savage and Redline—I want the good with the bad and everything assessed as much as possible so there aren't any surprises.

Doug DeMuro does a great job of this, too. Raiti's Rides is sometimes a little silly, but I appreciate how in-depth he goes when assessing a car as well.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
First and foremost, I want Randy Pobst to get times at Laguna Seca, and his inputs of course! See if he can get under 1:40.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Throttle House track comparison to Supra and/or M2 and/or ???
C&D Lightning Lap
yes! i enjoy their review/versus vids

OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Agreed with all of the above, especially Savage and Redline—I want the good with the bad and everything assessed as much as possible so there aren't any surprises.

Doug DeMuro does a great job of this, too. Raiti's Rides is sometimes a little silly, but I appreciate how in-depth he goes when assessing a car as well.
Yes Doug is good at getting to a car's foibles, and he's honest about them, even if his style of delivery can be a bit exhausting (easy on the coffee, there, Doug...). But his reviews are sometimes late to the party, he doesn't always get first access, probably because he's so upfront about issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DevonK

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Throttle House track comparison to Supra and/or M2 and/or ???
C&D Lightning Lap
Love the lightning lap and the Randy Pobst work for Motor Trend, but neither are going to appear within the next 6 months so they won't be of much help in making an early purchase decision.

Straight Pipes - not a big fan, seems geared to the 18-25 demographic. I have yet to hear them be substantively critical about anything they have driven. (Throttle House is limited in its criticisms as well but not to the same extent.)

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Love the lightning lap and the Randy Pobst work for Motor Trend, but neither are going to appear within the next 6 months so they won't be of much help in making an early purchase decision.
Not making any early purchase, so I can wait. He’s the best reviewer I go by for my use, his extensive racing experience.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
Chris Harris.. He actually drives these cars to its limits. He wasn't all too impressed with the 370Z.. I would like to hear his feedback on the new Z, considering this is after all still a 370Z underneath it all.

Jason Cammisa.. I always love the work and videos he puts out.. almost feels like a documentary in a good way.

Randy Post.. like Chris, I would also like to hear his input coming from a professional driver.