First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I've been thinking gloss black for the trim as well, but I'm diggin body-colored too. It's an interesting look with the black A pillar. Either are better than the stock gray/silver.

1638936875407.png

1638939545020.png

1638939592460.png

Much thinner on the Z, but it's not a bad look...

1638940241511.png
that could work.
im thinking some company would make a carbon fiber replacement or overlay.

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
I've been thinking gloss black for the trim as well, but I'm diggin body-colored too. It's an interesting look with the black A pillar. Either are better than the stock gray/silver.

1638936875407.png

1638939545020.png

1638939592460.png

Much thinner on the Z, but it's not a bad look...

1638940241511.png
Everyone says the silver looks dated. I feel the opposite and think going gloss black looks less modern. But body color? I think @Haste is on to something. This could be it for me. I have a habit of liking to be able to go back to stock, so I'll probly pick up an extra set of katanas to have color matched.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Keeping mine stock but, it doesn't look bad blacked out.......all my focus is going under the hood.

Heavy Dupree

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 AMG C63S, 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Retired
Dollars for doughnuts, Seibon will make these in carbon fiber.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
curious to hear anyone's opinion on the quality and look of the katana thats seen it in person. pics may not do it justice.

i plan to go black or bronze wheels, but depending on the car color, if the rims matched, it could look pretty sweet...

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
curious to hear anyone's opinion on the quality and look of the katana thats seen it in person. pics may not do it justice.

i plan to go black or bronze wheels, but depending on the car color, if the rims matched, it could look pretty sweet...
Pics definitely don't do it justice—I really like the way it comes across in person. And this was on the Proto trim, which one could argue would be the most contrasting in terms of color scheme. I think folks should experience it close-up before making any final decisions.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I wonder how easy it is to pop it off and back on. Most days I like the body-colored katana, on Fridays I rock a bronze one to match the wheels, on Saturday I have a funeral so I'm going with a black katana.

Just going to have a whole wall of katanas in my garage ?

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
I wonder how easy it is to pop it off and back on. Most days I like the body-colored katana, on Fridays I rock a bronze one to match the wheels, on Saturday I have a funeral so I'm going with a black katana.

Just going to have a whole wall of katanas in my garage ?

If it's anything like the current Maximas & Altimas, be prepared to be spend a couple of hundred each side. The mount tabs behind those moldings break if you breathe on them wrong. The katana is made up of 2 moldings on each side.
Imagine spending $1000 on 4 moldings. Nuts.

Only time will tell how Nissan will price these parts.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If it's anything like the current Maximas & Altimas, be prepared to be spend a couple of hundred each side. The mount tabs behind those moldings break if you breathe on them wrong. The katana is made up of 2 moldings on each side.
Imagine spending $1000 on 4 moldings. Nuts.

Only time will tell how Nissan will price these parts.
While very easy to remove, that's how the roof mouldings are on my current car. The plastic tabs break rather easily when removing them or just over time. Granted, they are over 10 years old, but I had the driver's side fly off my car on the interstate this past Feb. BMW wanted $400+ per side, unpainted, so I found a used, factory painted set on EBay for less than $200 shipped. I have a spare passenger side now in case that one ever decides to catch flight as well.

Just messing around, but if I were to really have different katana sets I'd wait and source them locally from wrecked cars or look online for used parts and pay a lot less.

Last edited:

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
While very easy to remove, that's how the roof moudings are on my current car. The plastic tabs break rather easily when removing them or just over time. Granted, they are over 10 years old, but I had the driver's side fly off my car on the interstate this past Feb. BMW wanted $400+ per side, unpainted, so I found a used, factory painted set on EBay for less than $200 shipped. I have a spare passenger side now in case that one ever decides to catch flight as well.

Just messing around, but if I were to really have different katana sets I'd wait and source them locally from wrecked cars or look online for used parts and pay a lot less.

If they are like the current moldings, sourcing them from wrecked cars will be pointless since they break when removed. 3m double sided tape could be a cheap fix

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If they are like the current moldings, sourcing them from wrecked cars will be pointless since they break when removed. 3m double sided tape could be a cheap fix
Ah, I get what you're saying now. I wasn't thinking the tabs breaking on Nissan's current design would cause permanent damage to the trim. My car has these clips that hold the moulding on, so if they break you just replace them and the actual trim piece is unharmed.

1639074303507.png

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
that's weird...
i didn't know bmw's are known for using cheap plastic parts :rolleyes:;)
Definitely not under the hood ?

It's amazing to me how they manage to overengineer some parts to a fault while simplifying others to a fault. At least in this case the trim piece itself was not ruined by tabs breaking off of it... but the clip design didn't help it since it finally landed and was run over a million times.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Definitely not under the hood ?

It's amazing to me how they manage to overengineer some parts to a fault while simplifying others to a fault. At least in this case the trim piece itself was not ruined by tabs breaking off of it... but the clip design didn't help it since it finally landed and was run over a million times.
tbh...my z4 was fun to drive, but couldn't keep it from breaking down