First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I might consider adding "Z" to the tires, but not "Nissan".
They don't pay me to advertise for them. :cool:
if you're driving one...your already advertising

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
Since I have an order for a Z Proto I am thinking of getting that stenciled on my tyres instead of Nissan Z.

Just looking for opinions on which you would you go with "Z Proto" or "Nissan Z".

I swear I thought I saw a car with Z Proto stenciled on it but can't find it. Maybe I just imagined it lol.

qellman32

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023-24 Nissan Z Performance (Black/Black)
Occupation
DoorDash Dasher
I've actually been working on a few ideas, including "Nissan Z" tire stencils. So, I have a mock up of the logos pulled from screenshots. I haven't formed them to the tire shape yet, so they're not final.

Nissan Logo.jpeg

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
I have emailed a store near me for a quote.

They charge $3 per letter and $15 for the adhesive which they say is enough for 48 letters.

Sent through 2 options for a quote first being "Nissan Z" like what is currently on the tyres and other option "Z Proto".

If using "Z Proto" that will be 12 letters per tyre so 48 all up and the adhesive bottle to do it will add up to $159.

However that is for there standard letter design, they will possibly charge more for different character design especially if I want the "Z" to be stylized like how it is on the Proto tyres.

Will hopefully here back from them in a couple of days.

This cost is probably a lot more than what you guys would pay in the US and Canada but unfortunately that is the price I pay living down under lol.

qellman32

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023-24 Nissan Z Performance (Black/Black)
Occupation
DoorDash Dasher
Does anybody know of a paint that will stick to tire rubber, preferably like Nissan may have used or, even better, what tire companies use? I was thinking of making a stencil negative, tape it to the tire, and then paint in the negative space directly to the tire.

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
Does anybody know of a paint that will stick to tire rubber, preferably like Nissan may have used or, even better, what tire companies use? I was thinking of making a stencil negative, tape it to the tire, and then paint in the negative space directly to the tire.
I have seen people use tyre ink pens like in the link below.

https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/tire-paint-pens/

However I think these are better used for highlighting details already on the tyre rather than for a stencil. You would be better off using so kond of spray.

What I am potentially looking to get are basically tyre stickers. They are meant to be pretty durable. The link above for the pen do tyre stickers.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I have emailed a store near me for a quote.

They charge $3 per letter and $15 for the adhesive which they say is enough for 48 letters.

Sent through 2 options for a quote first being "Nissan Z" like what is currently on the tyres and other option "Z Proto".

If using "Z Proto" that will be 12 letters per tyre so 48 all up and the adhesive bottle to do it will add up to $159.

However that is for there standard letter design, they will possibly charge more for different character design especially if I want the "Z" to be stylized like how it is on the Proto tyres.

Will hopefully here back from them in a couple of days.

This cost is probably a lot more than what you guys would pay in the US and Canada but unfortunately that is the price I pay living down under lol.
Just make your own stencil and spray paint it on

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
Just make your own stencil and spray paint it on
I am considering doing it myself. The tricky part though is that the stencil is required on two locations on the tyre which makes it tricky to line up properly and get it to look right. If it was just one point per tyre it wouldn't be difficult but doing top and bottom will be a bit of a pain to get perfect. Also I am worried about over spraying and it running or accidentally getting paint on the alloys or on the car. The only way to really do it without risk would be taking the wheels off and that is quite a bit of work.

The stickers seem a little bit easier and look to be a little less risk.

Plus they have some depth to them so will give them a bit of a 3D effect.

https://www.streetfx.com.au/smoke-tyres-not-drugs-tire-lettering-tyre-letters

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I am considering doing it myself. The tricky part though is that the stencil is required on two locations on the tyre which makes it tricky to line up properly and get it to look right. If it was just one point per tyre it wouldn't be difficult but doing top and bottom will be a bit of a pain to get perfect. Also I am worried about over spraying and it running or accidentally getting paint on the alloys or on the car. The only way to really do it without risk would be taking the wheels off and that is quite a bit of work.

The stickers seem a little bit easier and look to be a little less risk.

Plus they have some depth to them so will give them a bit of a 3D effect.

https://www.streetfx.com.au/smoke-tyres-not-drugs-tire-lettering-tyre-letters
I get the depth argument, but surely the stickers will come in two lots …not a full circle …so you will still have to line them up

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
but surely the stickers will come in two lots …not a full circle …so you will still have to line them up
Yes they would come as two different stickers but they are much smaller and won't block any view of the tyre/wheel so should be easier to position.

The stencil has to be larger so protects the area of the tyre you don't want sprayed and then you will also need to cover the wheel and other parts of the tyre to prevent over spray getting on it.

To me at least the sticker should be easier to apply and potentially require less work to do so.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
the stenciled tires are getting more popular on sports cars and it seems that many members here would get them...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Stencil seems like a maintenance headache.

Back in the 90's I was a lot attendant at a Cadillac dealership.

Whitewalls we're still popular with that demographic and don't forget Vogue tires.

FYI, the way whitewalls/white lettering and Vogues are made, the white is molded in to the sidewall. I'd say it's at least 3/32-1/8" thick.

I think the reason it was like that is because cleaning the white part would strip away a little bit every time, revealing a fresh, bright layer. It seemed to wear out about the same time as the tread.

Y'all are in for a real headache if you want stencil, and you want it to stay fresh looking, AND you actually want to drive the car. Good luck with all of that.

Oh, and don't let anyone else drive it, stencil won't tolerate even the slightest curb rub. Those whitewall tires handle that stuff pretty well.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
saw a yellow challenger today with color matched stenciled tires. it actually looked neat when in motion...but i did noticed part of the lettering had fallen off.