First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
I have my system down so washing my pickup takes about 30 minutes, same for the Jeep Summitt. My 240 takes about 15 minutes to wash. Waxing on the truck is a 3-4 hour affair. Haven't waxed the Jeep as its basically new. The 240 can be waxed in about an hour, usually less, but I take my time and savor every nook and cranny. It is actually fun especially when you see the finished product. None of my vehicles see a car wash but I live in Houston so we can wash our vehicles on the driveway pretty much year-round. If I was up north, I would probably have to be a car wash guy in the winter, of course except for my Z.

AlanZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Performance 6MT Black Diamond/Graphite
Occupation
Civil Servant
I wonder who takes there Z to a car wash?

I also use the 2 bucket method.
Ryobi pressure washer, mckillans foam cannon and spray gun … super easy to clean my Z . I enjoy it !

IMG_6166.jpeg

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
I've been doing my washing/waxing the old-fashioned way using application pads for wax & microfiber towels to polish. Never been a buffer guy although I have many friends that use & like them. To me there is nothing like good old hand polishing a car. I also clay bar every few years. I use a microfiber sponge to wash with turtle wax cleaner that I mix with water. I've always dried my glass & chrome using a soft towel. As you can see my car care is not too technical LOL
Well, here's the deal that has become the standard marketing hook among the increasing number of detailing marketers. ...the gloss and shine that a car gets is a matter of the way light is refracted when it hits the paint. If the paint has a lot of micro-swirls etc, as is inevitable from daily use, brushing against it, hand-washing, car-washes etc, then the finish looks dull because the micro-scratches refract the light badly. The surface looks dull. You can limit that by waxing it, which adds a layer of wax on top and it will refract well, although the depth of shine is impaired, as long as the wax remains...but it does wear off, and the better the wax, the faster it wears. The best thing is paint correction...removing the micro-swirls with a buffer....then waxing. Or sealing/glazing/waxing...or ceramic coating or some other such technique. IOW, just putting wax on a swirled-up clear coat is a poor half measure and it will look ok for a couple of weeks. And then there's the issue of oxidation. Bottom line....just laying down wax is a half-measure. The first time I ever buffed then waxed my Black Cherry 2011 Z, I was shocked at the difference in depth of shine, and I became a believer. If you don't correct the micro-scratches and swirling, it doesn't look nearly as good no matter how much wax you lay down.

Google "paint correction" detailing, or peruse the many detailing videos on YouTube. I've always liked the Adams Polishes videos...really excellent

https://www.youtube.com/@AdamsPolishes/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
what is this foam cannon you speak of?
guess im old 🤪

Last edited:

AlanZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Performance 6MT Black Diamond/Graphite
Occupation
Civil Servant
what is this coam cannon you speak of?
guess im old 🤪
Foam cannon is just a device that attaches to a pressure washer which applies a foamy /snow type of soap on the car .
Many companies make them. I would say it makes washing the car more enjoyable honestly .

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
retired
what is this coam cannon you speak of?
guess im old 🤪
The idea relates to the idea that when you wash your car, you want a thick layer of soap between finish and your microfiber wash mitt so that you don't add to the swirls and micro-scratching. Best applied with a foam gun on your hose vs a foam cannon on your pressure washer. With a good foam soap, from a good foam cannon, your car will look like a birthday cake after you foam it and before you start scrubbing, thereby minimizing clear coat damage while scrubbing during hand wash.

Here's the story...

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
so are you having it done or doing your own vehicles? what is your routine?

curious as to what products everyone is using. what do you avoid?
I take it to the coin wash and use pressure washer. Dry it with a nice microfibre cloth and get every inch of water as I can get. Very therapeutic for me 😂

Supremekai

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z
The idea relates to the idea that when you wash your car, you want a thick layer of soap between finish and your microfiber wash mitt so that you don't add to the swirls and micro-scratching. Best applied with a foam gun on your hose vs a foam cannon on your pressure washer. With a good foam soap, from a good foam cannon, your car will look like a birthday cake after you foam it and before you start scrubbing, thereby minimizing clear coat damage while scrubbing during hand wash.

Here's the story...
Isn't it the other way around? better to use foam cannon w/ pressure washer. As it produces more foam.

I'm doing one bucket wash.
Foam
Rinse
Foam
Hand wash with one bucket
Rinse
Drying agent - dry off with towel
Ceramic spray

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
retired
Isn't it the other way around? better to use foam cannon w/ pressure washer. As it produces more foam.

I'm doing one bucket wash.
Foam
Rinse
Foam
Hand wash with one bucket
Rinse
Drying agent - dry off with towel
Ceramic spray
Yes...IMHO foam cannon is superior. Looking at my post, I see why you misinterpreted...sorry for not being clear.

On a full detail day, I use a two-bucket wash with grit guards. I dry the car with a 4hp Master Blaster (admittedly not a cost effective device, but I also have three dogs at home :)) and microfiber drying towels. I then use a glaze, followed by some carnauba wax...real carnauba, not the crap they sell at big-box stores. I use Adams Americana. It's not as good at their Patriot wax but is noticeably more durable.

I only do that a few times a year. In between, I use the local touchless car wash, going for the wash only and skipping the useless "waxes" and "UV protectants".

Last edited:

bearingexpert

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z 2023
Occupation
Manager
so are you having it done or doing your own vehicles? what is your routine?

curious as to what products everyone is using. what do you avoid?
I hand wash, blower dry and then apply a ceramic booster product, my car has PPF on all the impact areas and ceramic paint treatment.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I hand wash, blower dry and then apply a ceramic booster product, my car has PPF on all the impact areas and ceramic paint treatment.
don't know much about ceramic treatment...how long does it last?