Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Interesting to hear that.
I can think of one population that might find a HUD more useful than not - those getting older and developing some attendant far-sightedness. The better HUDs like the one I saw on the Camaro I test drove put the HUD's virtual point of focus in the middle distance which means your eyes do not have to accommodate to it when driving, and this makes it stay in focus for those losing their near vision sharpness (while the conventional IP will not).
Next time I drive my car I will try to remember to take a look how the focus point is. I havent driven it in 2 weeks and probably will be another week before it happens.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Nissan did offer HUD on several cars back in the 90's, I believe it was available on the 240SX and the NX with the digital dash. Maybe back then people weren't paying up for it, and some old dudes at Nissan remember that....

Anyways, HUD being available on an SUV doesn't impress me. SUV market is so awash in sameness, manufacturers gotta do something to stand out, I guess.

jayhawk70

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1973 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Nissan 300ZX
Occupation
gainfully unemployed.
...but still add complexity and cost to any product. To me, it's another gadget that could be a point of failure. .....
That is exactly what my dad said in 1960 about power windows! :)

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
im sort of neutral on the HUD thing I dont mind them but im also not a big fan. yesterday I drove my dads C8 through some backroads as they finally got 500 miles on it where the rev limiter goes away. its got a really cool customizable HUD that changes between sport and track mode. but honestly I found my self still always looking at the digital dash just has a habit. I could see the info on the HUD but it was almost like my brain didnt process it unless I looked at the dash. I think over time I could get used to it but even then I think its a cool feature but not a must have at all al teast for me

kind of like the rearview mirror on the car is a HD camera. and I really dont like that for the same reason. like it doesnt seem "real" to my brain if that makes sense.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
That is exactly what my dad said in 1960 about power windows! :)
Well, one new trend is to make vehicles that have baked-in systems that are similar to smartphones. And, just like smartphones, they quickly become obsolete and since many of us are conditioned to "update" the hardware every few years....

Fortunately, I don't think the Z rises to that level of planned obsolescence. It's still a fairly simple car, in modern terms.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The Z4 has HUD, for the first week I hated it. Thought it was more a distraction than anything else because it’s in your line of vision, and yet I still look at the dash.

BUT just like any new bit of kit, I’ve actually become accustomed to it very quickly and now use it as intended. It’s actually really handy especially on every day drives as when it flashes red you can’t help but notice and adjust your speed.
I have it set to alert me when it’s 6kms over so it’s not constantly flashing at me