Where's the HUD?

Dotson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nissan Pathfinder
I quite like the HUD on my 2022 Pathfinder and I'm a little surprised it's not going to available on the new Z.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I quite like the HUD on my 2022 Pathfinder and I'm a little surprised it's not going to available on the new Z.
This has been discussed somewhere in another thread I believe, some want it others like me can’t see a real point to it, when you have an electronic speedo in the dash that’s very easy to see

DanPYo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 VW GTI 2d
Occupation
Database Programmer
Forget a HUD. I'm going full Adam Savage on it and making it remote controlled! :p And VR! GT7 IRL!

OP
OP

Dotson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nissan Pathfinder
HUDs are over rated. I was super excited to get one in my Supra and now I dont even notice that its there. Seriously, I forget it has one most of the time.
Right. but still, I'm surprised they didn't include it since they have the tech already and it's in my Pathfinder. My guess is their trying to keep costs down. At least initially, until after sales start, then they'll have a better idea of what the demand looks like and might start including more options.

dkmura

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 350Z track, '06 350Z SCCA touring racecar
Occupation
Freelance automotive journalist
HUDs have been around for some time, but still add complexity and cost to any product. To me, it's another gadget that could be a point of failure. I applaud Nissan for NOT adding it to the new Z.

OP
OP

Dotson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nissan Pathfinder
HUDs have been around for some time, but still add complexity and cost to any product. To me, it's another gadget that could be a point of failure. I applaud Nissan for NOT adding it to the new Z.
I think it shows where Nissan is targeting the Z. I can't imagine HUD is that complex, but it is another piece of electronics. How about manual seats instead of power? Saves weight, less complexity, but I bet most people would complain.

Duchess

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S6
Occupation
Trade Compliance
A good quality HUD is an amazing piece of kit. You can display speed, navigation and vehicle monitoring all for very little cost (financially and in terms of weight). I'm very surprised that Nissan hasn't included it - and it makes me very nervous about the infotainment and cockpit display in general...

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
A good quality HUD is an amazing piece of kit. You can display speed, navigation and vehicle monitoring all for very little cost (financially and in terms of weight). I'm very surprised that Nissan hasn't included it - and it makes me very nervous about the infotainment and cockpit display in general...
but if you have a very good cockpit display, the you don’t need a HUD, as all the information is right there….especially in a sports car where you sit low, and the display is pretty much in your face anyway.
Sooooo it really comes down to how good that display is going to be. For the US it sounds good…not so much for us Aussies or the Canadians.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Anyone who really wants one can always add a third-party HUD. Some plug directly into the car's computer and some are standalone (though probably less accurate). It is of course an extra expense.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
HUDs are over rated. I was super excited to get one in my Supra and now I dont even notice that its there. Seriously, I forget it has one most of the time.
Agreed.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Interesting to hear that.
I can think of one population that might find a HUD more useful than not - those getting older and developing some attendant far-sightedness. The better HUDs like the one I saw on the Camaro I test drove put the HUD's virtual point of focus in the middle distance which means your eyes do not have to accommodate to it when driving, and this makes it stay in focus for those losing their near vision sharpness (while the conventional IP will not).