Whats your price breaking point for a Z???

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I think because of the current car market (+Nissan's overall production woes), the ADMs will break almost everyone's limit, as if we go under the assumption that dealers (US/CAN) will only get 1-2 specs at launch , there is no way that they're going to sell the cars for MSRP...they just can't, and if they do, then they must be doing it for publicity (probably a deal with the social media personalities, like TJ hunt, etc.) or there is some connection with dealership management.

I'd wait for a slightly used or just wait till EOY and find a near MSRP spec, or wait till Nismo is launched. From Alfonso's interview during the Z launch, he stated that the Z (Sport) will undercut the Supra (2.0), so assume around $43k or lower for sport, and then <$50k for Performance. I'm sticking to my $40k Sport and $45-$48k Performance with the Nismo at the $52k. without ADMs...

If nothing pans out price wise, I'll just save and pick up a CPO..Nothing else interests me that matches the Z's qualities.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
adm hopefully won't last long. i was still getting calls from the dealers a month after the zupr4 came out cause they couldn't move them all...

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
WTH?? :oops: - you must REALLY want this car. That Supra lists for $67,488 CAD!

I wouldn't dream of buying this car if the Performance MT is any higher than $50-52k CAD. The last 370 NISMO was only $49k CAD ffs....
'Maybe I should have specified in US dollars not Canadian dollars. I know.. not much of a difference when converting. 3.0 Supra is 51K USD I believe? I'm hoping and expecting 48K USD tops is my budget.. obviously lower the better. And YES, I really want this car more than the Supra.

I'm not sure what MSRP you are expecting for the new Z.. but the new Z with Sport trim is already said to start at the low 40K US dollars.. Convert that to Canadian dollars and you are already 50K Cad for the Sport trim.. move up to the Performance trim and you are looking closer to 60K Cad.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
'Maybe I should have specified in US dollars not Canadian dollars. I know.. not much of a difference when converting. 3.0 Supra is 51K USD I believe? I'm hoping and expecting 48K USD tops is my budget.. obviously lower the better. And YES, I really want this car more than the Supra.

I'm not sure what MSRP you are expecting for the new Z.. but the new Z with Sport trim is already said to start at the low 40K US dollars.. Convert that to Canadian dollars and you are already 50K Cad for the Sport trim.. move up to the Performance trim and you are looking closer to 60K Cad.
Yes but you can never use the USD/CAD conversion rate as a measure of what a Canadian price would be given a US estimate. The Z has historically been cheaper in Canada and was especially so in the last few years of the 370Z's life cycle. As I mentioned in another post, Canada is a more price-sensitive market and most (but not all) manufacturers eat some of the currency exchange when they sell here. Given the history I think an MSRP about $51k CAD for the Performance MT is a reasonable guess. (Plus we'll have no ADMS here.) We'll see soon enough....

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport

Now where are they getting the 30k from?

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
Yes but you can never use the USD/CAD conversion rate as a measure of what a Canadian price would be given a US estimate. The Z has historically been cheaper in Canada and was especially so in the last few years of the 370Z's life cycle. As I mentioned in another post, Canada is a more price-sensitive market and most (but not all) manufacturers eat some of the currency exchange when they sell here. Given the history I think an MSRP about $51k CAD for the Performance MT is a reasonable guess. (Plus we'll have no ADMS here.) We'll see soon enough....

I know that a straight currency conversion from USD to CAD wont be the exact pricing for the Canadian Z.. but it is a close estimate on pricing. 51K CAD for the Performance trim just seems way too good to be true. When a similar packaged 3.0 Supra is going for 67-68K CAD.. that would be cutting the 3.0 Supra by 16-17K CAD.. I just don't see that happening. I still feel the new Z with Performance trim will be closer to 60K CAD which is still under cutting the 3.0 Supra by a good chunk. But I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels

Now where are they getting the 30k from?
Am I hearing it right.. 30K for the Base/Sport trim? I swear Nissan reps were telling us low 40K for the Base/Sports. Oh well, I'm not complaining about this news.. still not confident this is true though.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I still feel the new Z with Performance trim will be closer to 60K CAD which is still under cutting the 3.0 Supra by a good chunk. But I'd be more than happy to be wrong.
The Supra is really a BMW with the accompanying fat upcharge. Virtually nobody is going to pay $60k CAD for a non NISMO and Nissan Canada's marketing research will have shown them that. Hence the decontenting we're seeing, to keep the price down.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
The Supra is really a BMW with the accompanying fat upcharge. Virtually nobody is going to pay $60k CAD for a non NISMO and Nissan Canada's marketing research will have shown them that. Hence the decontenting we're seeing, to keep the price down.
Yes, we all know the Supra is basically a BMW Z4.. and for around the same price of a base BMW Z4 the 3.0 Supra comes with better handling, more power and IMO better exterior styling.. so I wouldn't call it a "fat upcharge"

You may not be willing to pay MSRP of 56-60K CAD for a Z with Performance Trim but Nissan knows the huge hype train around the new Z and they know the next guy beside you will.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Yes, we all know the Supra is basically a BMW Z4.. and for around the same price of a base BMW Z4 the 3.0 Supra comes with better handling, more power and IMO better exterior styling.. so I wouldn't call it a "fat upcharge"

You may not be willing to pay MSRP of 56-60K CAD for a Z with Performance Trim but Nissan knows the huge hype train around the new Z and they know the next guy beside you will.
I meant anything BMW (including now the Supra) has a built-in premium, hence the modifier "accompanying".

You basically said in your first post you'd pay up to $63k for a Premium. I'd bet the number of Canadian buyers willing to go that sky-high for a Z given the alternatives available at that price would be relatively tiny. Sure, Nissan would reap fat profits from the first few hundred units they sold at that price, but then the later stock would just sit on the showroom floor. I think they'll sacrifice some of those initial returns for much greater volume long-term by keeping the price far more reasonable. We'll know in a month.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
I meant anything BMW (including now the Supra) has a built-in premium, hence the modifier "accompanying".

You basically said in your first post you'd pay up to $63k for a Premium. I'd bet the number of Canadian buyers willing to go that sky-high for a Z given the alternatives available at that price would be relatively tiny. Sure, Nissan would reap fat profits from the first few hundred units they sold at that price, but then the later stock would just sit on the showroom floor. I think they'll sacrifice some of those initial returns for much greater volume long-term by keeping the price far more reasonable. We'll know in a month.
48K tops is about 61K CAD.. either way If you seen other threads on what people are expecting and willing to pay for the new Z with Performance Trim its anywhere from 45-49K.. that's literally about 60K CAD give or take. Like i said.. the US prices often closely reflect what the Canadian Pricing will be and plenty of Nissan reps have already said from the start low 40K USD for the base/sport trim.. 45-48K USD is not that unrealistic for a Performance trim. Nissan's goal is to undercut the 3.0 Supra.. but @ 17K CAD cheaper like you say for the Performance trim seems way too unrealistic. Will see soon enough. Not many cars at 60K CAD I like that is brand new, is RWD, must be manual.. and NO I don't want a Mustang or Camaro or BRZ or Miata.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
48K tops is about 61K CAD.. either way If you seen other threads on what people are expecting and willing to pay for the new Z with Performance Trim its anywhere from 45-49K.. that's literally about 60K CAD give or take. Like i said.. the US prices often closely reflect what the Canadian Pricing will be and plenty of Nissan reps have already said from the start low 40K USD for the base/sport trim.. 45-48K USD is not that unrealistic for a Performance trim. Nissan's goal is to undercut the 3.0 Supra.. but @ 17K CAD cheaper like you say for the Performance trim seems way too unrealistic. Will see soon enough. Not many cars at 60K CAD I like that is brand new, is RWD, must be manual.. and NO I don't want a Mustang or Camaro or BRZ or Miata.
The participants here are hardly a representative potential market sample, I'd flunk any student who based their pricing structure in a car project on what avid model-specific forum members are willing to cough up. And no, US prices do not "closely reflect" Canadian prices much of the time in this segment, especially for Nissan Zs. Just take a look at the MSRP pricing for a 2020 370Z Sport Touring AT:

USA: $39,480 USD
Canada: $46,498 CAD

At the time those prices would have been set in early 2019, the exchange rate was about 1.3 CAD/1 USD which would give a MSRP to the Canadian car based solely on the exchange rate of $51,324 CAD, $4826 more than the real CAD MSRP. So Nissan ate 40% of the currency exchange differential to sell the car cheaper here in 2020. If they do the same thing with the new Z, and we estimate the Performance will be $47k in the US, then given the current exchange rate of about 1.25 CAD/1 USD, we get the formula (47000*1.25) -.40(47000*1.25 -47000) which gives $54,050 as the estimated Canadian MSRP, which is a long way from $60k.

As this price is still considerably above the last 370Z Nismo, I still think it's likely to come in a bit lower than this, but with the recent inflation, who knows. Not sure the Supra is really in the new base Z's market segment, that is a premium car more aligned with the base Cayman. The upcoming Nismo is a different story. Realistically, pony cars are more in the base Z's bailiwick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
memelord

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
The Supra was designed to compete with the cayman. That is a fact. The Z was designed to compete with the Supra. That is a fact.