Tuning tips & tricks

TwinZurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
To folks that have tuned.. mine's coming up on the 15th of December and I can't stop thinking about it.
My goal is to drive this car often.. so predictable power is the goal.

What are some things to look out for, other options available when tuning..etc.
I've seen mentions on this forum of people saying "it doesn't boost until x% WOT" Anyone have feelings on what's too low or too high?

What other features are available when tuning? Example.. can I change the door unlock logic? I want 1 button press on the door or key fob to unlock both doors.
If so, anyone found anything interesting or worth changing?

Oil was changed a week ago.. should be fine. Has anyone noticed a need to change oil more often after tuning?

What kinda fuel economy drop has anyone seen after a tune?

I'm watching vids on tuning turbo'd cars too.. fun stuff. A thing I'm currently chasing answers on is (crankcase? cylinder?) pressure. Too much boost too early or some such causing issues.

Thanks for reading!

VR30Z

First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z 6spd
Occupation
REMOTE TUNING
tuning will really wake up the car, even stock the power is very leaner. there is not punch of torque when you need it stock

when we calibrate our cars, response and boost characteristics are completely changed.

normal driving not affected at all.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
What other features are available when tuning? Example.. can I change the door unlock logic? I want 1 button press on the door or key fob to unlock both doors.
Does your car have "selective unlock"? It's mentioned in the owner's manual.

1000018617.png

That said. I'm interested in what you can tweak as well. For example, can you turn on/off the sound enhancement and noise cancelation?

OP
OP
TwinZurbo

TwinZurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Does your car have "selective unlock"? It's mentioned in the owner's manual.
It's doing the "selective unlock" behavior now. I imagine I have it.. didn't see it in the menu's before.
Found my problem.. it's accessible from the steering menu, not the center menu.
Also.. I don't see how you can access the menu from the "sport" tach.. gotta be in normal or enhanced. :rolleyes:
So from the steering wheel.. push the waffle (shortcut menu button you use to change displays)
Settings > Vehicle Settings > Locking > Selective Unlock (default on, I wanted off)

That said. I'm interested in what you can tweak as well. For example, can you turn on/off the sound enhancement and noise cancelation?
Indeed.. the dealership can do it but they charged me $80. The ASC (engine enhancement) speaker can be unplugged or turned off in the software. I imagine a tuner could too?

Last edited:

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
To folks that have tuned.. mine's coming up on the 15th of December and I can't stop thinking about it.
My goal is to drive this car often.. so predictable power is the goal.

What are some things to look out for, other options available when tuning..etc.
I've seen mentions on this forum of people saying "it doesn't boost until x% WOT" Anyone have feelings on what's too low or too high?

Oil was changed a week ago.. should be fine. Has anyone noticed a need to change oil more often after tuning?

What kinda fuel economy drop has anyone seen after a tune?

I'm watching vids on tuning turbo'd cars too.. fun stuff. A thing I'm currently chasing answers on is (crankcase? cylinder?) pressure. Too much boost too early or some such causing issues.

Thanks for reading!
I don't quite follow this. If you go with a well known and respected tuner they will know the limits of this platform, it has been out for years. Anytime you go above factory limits you risk immediate and long term damage, or premature wear of parts. With that said you can "safely" get a lot out of this platform.

Options depend on the tuning selection you picked. Your best bet is to ask the tuner, since they should know the software in and out, if what you want is available. I used Ecutech and this is a helpful link showing most of the features. https://www.ecutek.com/what-are-racerom-special-features/

Oil changes are based on driving habits not the tune. For example a few nights a month at the drag strip wont cause the oil to degrade faster, but laps at an autoX course or circuit will. Both will cook your diff fluid though.

Fuel economy is also based mostly on driving habits. More power does use more fuel though. There are to many variables to say for sure how much loss you will see. My hard or spirited driving may be much different than yours, but we call it the same thing.

Hope some of this helps sort you out a bit.

OP
OP
TwinZurbo

TwinZurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
I don't quite follow this. If you go with a well known and respected tuner they will know the limits of this platform, it has been out for years. Anytime you go above factory limits you risk immediate and long term damage, or premature wear of parts. With that said you can "safely" get a lot out of this platform.

Options depend on the tuning selection you picked. Your best bet is to ask the tuner, since they should know the software in and out, if what you want is available. I used Ecutech and this is a helpful link showing most of the features. https://www.ecutek.com/what-are-racerom-special-features/
My questions revolve around "what questions could I be asking?"

The link you mentioned was helpful, ty!

The oil and fuel economy questions is more of a relative question. So to refine: "Has anyone noticed a difference before/after the tune in either? If so, how pronouced?"