Throttle house - Nissan Z vs Mustang GT vs Challenger Scat Pack - Drag & roll race

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
The reviews on the Z - man, are they some Jekyl/Hyde reviews - while I didn’t expect the Z to beat either car from dig - in particular the Mustang - it was a bit disconcerting the way he talked about how the car was all over the place and the brakes didn’t like being hit at those high speeds. More and more - I feel like this car is a bit of a disappointment - from at first not being able to beat the Supra (was NOT surprised about this to be honest) but its all the other things - the suspension setup out of the box is more GT and less sports car. The constant reviewers talking about the lack of feedback and the way the car shifts its weight etc in turns.
And while I really do enjoy TH - I’m shocked how badly they reviewed the Z. If I were in the market for a new one - I would definitely need a test drive before actually putting money down on it. Maybe all these bad reviews will help when it comes to the added ADM - or maybe like others have mentioned - some small suspension mods will get this car to where everyone wants it to be. Granted not knowing what the actual cost of the Z was to build it - I just feel that if they would have priced this at $40k and then $45k for the performance version - it would allow for the cost difference between the Z and its competitors to make this a great buy. I just don’t know anymore - granted the cost of doing a FI TT kit in the 370z plus all the supporting mods and what not - still kinda makes me think that a newer Z even with it’s reviews is a better buy than going ‘full send’ on modding the 370z.
I agree and was looking at 370Zs across the country the other day. I'd get a soho single turbo and a 7AT with shorter final drive or NA and 4.08 gears.

Zs have always been more GT car than sports cars. The new one is in a hard place. Heavier than a 370, overpriced, slower than 5.0s and LT1s, and a Camaro LT1 likely outperforms the Z in the straights and turns. Then there is the Supra... better engine, engineering, 100+ lighter, and on paper just a better car.

I'm going to have to sit in and drive all these cars before choosing another, but it's hard to let go of my 10r80 5.0 for a Z. A part of me wants to turbo it and keep it below 750whp. As of a few months ago when these 10 speeds are rebuilt and upgraded they just aren't the same... NA seems the way to go with these. Cobra Jet manifold, long times, and closed box intake for 500whp and stock like reliability.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Too bad the GR86 is having these engine problems. I'd be satisfied with that. With my G37 destroyed and unrepairable due to it being paid off and on liability insurance I wouldn't mind a new WRX. At this point. I'm purchasing two more new sports/sporty cars by the end of the decade and that is it.

Not sure what I want to do. I truly like my C4 more than the mustang and two C4s are better than one. Call me crazy.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
It’s unfortunate. I was first on the list at my
Dealer. Season is done, now I was going to light mod it as well. But clearly the brakes aren’t good after going fast. Lots of these new reviews show the car is hard to handle unless you’re a pro. (I know most think they are but really they’re not)

60K CDN for the preformance model out the door plus another 5-15K on mods and labor.

F that. No chance.

If I’m going to wait, I’m waiting for the c8 for 2 years. Going to a dealer tomorrow. Don’t
Mind waiting 2 years for one.

50D03BBC-D490-49AB-BC15-F2F46665285B.jpeg
Do it. It's the only thing I could trade my mustang for. Never thought I would want more car than this, but Corvettes are greater than Mustangs and hopefully the C8 becomes a reliable car within the next year or two. One of my neighbors got one. It's larger than expected in person and a muscular exotic if I ever saw one. The sound is pure muscle. It's pretty awesome!

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I’ve had 3 different mustangs through the years I had a 94 cobra and 08 GT and the 15 gtpp I like them awesome sound before I got the Supra I was looking at a Mach 1 and C8 but the wait and other things pushed me into the Supra lol plus Toyota giving me 41k for my 18 2SS
Quick comparison of the Supra vs Mustang vs Camaro if you don't mind.

Really digging the Supra as of late. Missing the leather seats and bun warmers from my Infiniti. The front needs a good lip and it would go a long way. Rear end is perfect as is the rest of the interior and exterior. Not afraid to purchase a 2022 and get the most out of it. Turbo upgrades are being done of JB4s from what I read.

I can't get over the fact that the Z is over 3400 pounds. It's a jdm muscle car imho, but I highly doubt as great as an American muscle car. Challengers look great, Mustangs have the more sophisticated engine while the Camaro has the more sophisticated chassis. Looks are subjective, but the Z is definitely in a hard place.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell

Really digging the Supra as of late. Missing the leather seats and bun warmers from my Infiniti. The front needs a good lip and it would go a long way. Rear end is perfect as is the rest of the interior and exterior. Not afraid to purchase a 2022 and get the most out of it. Turbo upgrades are being done of JB4s from what I read.

I can't get over the fact that the Z is over 3400

pounds. It's a jdm muscle car imho, but I highly doubt as great as an American muscle car. Challengers look great, Mustangs have the more sophisticated engine while the Camaro has the more sophisticated chassis. Looks are subjective, but the Z is definitely in a hard place.

I think you need to take a deep breath and a break away from the keyboard for a beat. ;)

Your multiple posts sound a little like therapy session

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
It is a GT car not a sports car.
I know what you're trying to say, here, but the Z is absolutely a sports car. Just definitionally, it falls into that category (unless we want to be extremely pedantic and claim that only roadsters are actually "sports cars" by traditional standards).

I think what you and others are identifying is that it isn't necessarily a track car.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic

I can't get over the fact that the Z is over 3400 pounds. It's a jdm muscle car imho, but I highly doubt as great as an American muscle car. Challengers look great, Mustangs have the more sophisticated engine while the Camaro has the more sophisticated chassis. Looks are subjective, but the Z is definitely in a hard place.
its hard for me to compare cause each one was slightly better version of the last but my GTPP was base with track pack but the never really felt beat up by driving it i dont get that when people say that and ive always Daily all my cars the 2SS had everythng minus Magride and i never ever used the heated seats or heated steering wheel lol even when it was slightly cold but the best thing in all those cars was the sound man... nothing like it cept for turbo noise lol . its hard to compare for me but i feel like the supra is quick i mean its a combo of things the power and the weight vs my big ol v8s even though ive weight my base GTPP and it was sitting around 3600 and change lol but i cant tell you which is better i love all my cars

Last edited:

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I think you need to take a deep breath and a break away from the keyboard for a beat. ;)

Your multiple posts sound a little like therapy session
Just talking out louder here. I'm certain multiple quotes in a single post wouldn't get this reaction 🤷‍♂️

You're right though. Does read like a therapy session. Not many friends, just coworkers, spouse, two kids, and the toddler doesn't really talk back yet at this point in life. For the record, my six year old thinks I should keep the mustang. Will refrain myself for now 🙊

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Just talking out louder here. I'm certain multiple quotes in a single post wouldn't get this reaction 🤷‍♂️

You're right though. Does read like a therapy session. Not many friends, just coworkers, spouse, two kids, and the toddler doesn't really talk back yet at this point in life. For the record, my six year old thinks I should keep the mustang. Will refrain myself for now 🙊
All in good fun! I don't have many friends either since my mom quit paying people.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Again, this is not a sports car it is a GT car and it is irrelevant what is does on the track, most people want to know how it drives as daily driver in normal driving conditions.
You don't get to define your way out of performance concerns via playing with naming convention (ie it's not really a "sports car").

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Nissan should've gotten these into customers' hands BEFORE reviewers get hands on them to reveal shortcomings
This is a very good point, and I think you're on to something. The launch has been messy, to be sure, (we can all certainly agree to that) but there would have been much greater potential for damage control on Nissan's behalf had the time between reviews being made public and actual Zs hitting the streets been a smaller window.

Had that been the case, people like those of us on the forum who actually planned to purchase the vehicle at launch could've weighed in with real-life opinions on how the Z truly performs when being used for the individual purposes we have, whatever those might be.