The ESC, ABS, Traction Control Situation

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata
A couple of things to note when it came to some of the reviews (especially Jason Cammisa's) when it comes to the ESC, ABS and traction control.
  1. ESC stays on and kicks in during certain situations even when TC is considered fully off.
  2. Boost cuts when clutch pedal is not fully disengaged, or when the brake is pressed, screwing with left foot braking
  3. RPMs dropping to 6-6500 rpm when hitting rev limiter instead of just hanging at the limit like most cars (im familiar with)
Are there any solutions in the works to turn alot of these safety systems off, or adjust them to be less intrusive?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
A couple of things to note when it came to some of the reviews (especially Jason Cammisa's) when it comes to the ESC, ABS and traction control.
  1. ESC stays on and kicks in during certain situations even when TC is considered fully off.
  2. Boost cuts when clutch pedal is not fully disengaged, or when the brake is pressed, screwing with left foot braking
  3. RPMs dropping to 6-6500 rpm when hitting rev limiter instead of just hanging at the limit like most cars (im familiar with)
Are there any solutions in the works to turn alot of these safety systems off, or adjust them to be less intrusive?
All of that REALLY sucks. If there's no way around this short of an aftermarket ECU this car will be practically un-raceable.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator

Boost cuts when clutch pedal is not fully disengaged, or when the brake is pressed, screwing with left foot braking.
Not to mention brake boosting 😂 . I guess Nissan considers that "cheating".

In all seriousness, I'm sure a tune can address all of these concerns. The Ecutek tuner is pretty good.

https://www.ecutek.com/infiniti-q50-q60-vr30-3-0-l-twin-turbo-engine-support/

https://www.ecutek.com/ecu-connect-feature-compatibility/

And hopefully, it's not long before Nissan's sub-optimal launch control tuning is optimized as well. See below, but note his car is AWD.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
This is exactly how the 370Z worked.

ECUTek / Z1Motorsports / AMS are going to have this stuff sorted in short order. I can almost guarantee it.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
It's so easy now for dealers to tell when the stock tune has been overwritten, if you tune for this you'd better be prepared to lose your warranty coverage if something even remotely related to your drivetrain goes south.

Last edited:

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
It's so easy now for dealers to tell when the stock tune has been overwritten, if you tune for this you'd better be prepared to lose your warranty coverage is something even remotely related to your drivetrain goes south.
Orrrrrrr, buy a separate ECU just for tuning purposes.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
And Nissan's not not going to know the ECU was swapped? They'd have to be really dumb not to have a check for that.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
And Nissan's not not going to know the EU was swapped? They'd have to be really dumb not to have a check for that.
How could they? Swap back in stock ECU and no one's the wiser. Even if they could some how know there was an ECU swap, it doesn't establish anything beyond that if the stock ECU tune isn't touched.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
It's so easy now for dealers to tell when the stock tune has been overwritten, if you tune for this you'd better be prepared to lose your warranty coverage if something even remotely related to your drivetrain goes south.
Infiniti is currently partnered with AMS to offer Stage 1 and Stage 2 power packs through Infiniti dealerships for the Red Sport cars right now. They're 100% compliant with powertrain warranty when installed by the dealership. Breather mods, cooling enhancements, and matching tunes are included.

Such an offering could extend to the Z in the future?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
And Nissan's not not going to know the ECU was swapped? They'd have to be really dumb not to have a check for that.
All they would be able to tell is if the ECU was unplugged. Doubt there's anything in place for that anyways. Nothing outside of the ECU retains memory (doubt the TCM does and the only other thing that MIGHT would be the ICE).

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Does anyone know if the ECU will be bench unlockable? They are not like the old days where you could Ecutek, MHD, BM3 most any ECU

Most ECU now- come with a pretty high end Bosch chip encryption. Since no experience with Z I am honestly asking.

I know in the greater car world, manufacturers are really trying to push for "pay for play" Meaning if you want a feature unlocked or upgraded you have to come back through the dealer. a la Tesla. Or Dinan for BMW, etc

Even Corvette is making a big push to this. C8s have this encryption and cannot be unlocked as in the past. The Youtubers you see pushing big power are running piggyback or stand alone ECUs

Supras have this issue now fwiw
the 2020 CAN be unlocked and tuned. If your ECU is older than 6/20 you are locked. Or were... Most had to resort to Piggy back tunes, but just in the last couple months a Russian hacker has figured it out. He/they are guarding the process so you have to send your ECU to Europe and they unlock and clone. Total cost for that is $3500 or so.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
How could they? Swap back in stock ECU and no one's the wiser. Even if they could some how know there was an ECU swap, it doesn't establish anything beyond that if the stock ECU tune isn't touched.
I would think it would be relatively easy to include some kind of hidden check for an ECU removal, and then include a clause in the warranty voiding it where such removal/substitution could potentially be the source of the issue for which coverage is sought. It’s possible this might conflict with the “right to repair” laws in certain jurisdictions though.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Does anyone know if the ECU will be bench unlockable? They are not like the old days where you could Ecutek, MHD, BM3 most any ECU

Most ECU now- come with a pretty high end Bosch chip encryption. Since no experience with Z I am honestly asking.

I know in the greater car world, manufacturers are really trying to push for "pay for play" Meaning if you want a feature unlocked or upgraded you have to come back through the dealer. a la Tesla. Or Dinan for BMW, etc

Even Corvette is making a big push to this. C8s have this encryption and cannot be unlocked as in the past. The Youtubers you see pushing big power are running piggyback or stand alone ECUs

Supras have this issue now fwiw
the 2020 CAN be unlocked and tuned. If your ECU is older than 6/20 you are locked. Or were... Most had to resort to Piggy back tunes, but just in the last couple months a Russian hacker has figured it out. He/they are guarding the process so you have to send your ECU to Europe and they unlock and clone. Total cost for that is $3500 or so.
thats why im looking into the JB4 for now since i have a 22 i have to see if it works with my car, i had called also Awe for the carbon SFlo Intake but they said the hadnt test fitted the intake on the 22 model yet. which i wanted to yolo it cause from 21-22 i dont think anything change has been made