First Name
Xzavier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Occupation
Detailer for Tesla
Facts. I forgot about this video and I watched it last night and it all made sense, they just don't know what they're doing lol

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
It could be the Tokyo car has different programming allowing the driver to show off. OR, the US media cars were programmed to keep the reviewers from blowing them up. Until actual production models hit and can be driven, there's no way to know for certain.

XinaZ

First Name
Xzavier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Occupation
Detailer for Tesla

This is the driver's in-car youtube video on his channel.
Press 'Closed Captions' and then go to setings and choose Subtitles and 'Auto-Translate' and you can choose English and YouTube will translate the video.

Last edited:

XinaZ

First Name
Xzavier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Occupation
Detailer for Tesla
It could be the Tokyo car has different programming allowing the driver to show off. OR, the US media cars were programmed to keep the reviewers from blowing them up. Until actual production models hit and can be driven, there's no way to know for certain.
Honestly I would agree with the latter and say it was for safety concerns seeing as they were putting the car in the hands of YouTube reviewers, and not professional drivers on an actual track

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

This is the driver's in-car youtube video on his channel.
I want somebody to translate this, some good inputs I'm sure by this popular driver, lots of subscribers. He's got some talent.

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Honestly I would agree with the latter and say it was for safety concerns seeing as they were putting the car in the hands of YouTube reviewers, and not professional drivers on an actual track
They were only allowed to do lead-follow on that LV track, not taking any chances for bad driving, a good thing. The drag launches were easier to control.

XinaZ

First Name
Xzavier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Occupation
Detailer for Tesla
I want somebody to translate this, some good inputs I'm sure by this popular driver, lots of subscribers. He's got some talent.
If you hit the closed captions option and click the settings button, choose "Subtitles then 'Auto-Translate' then you can choose English and it will be translated by YouTube.

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
If you hit the closed captions option and click the settings button, choose "Subtitles then 'Auto-Translate' then you can choose English and it will be translated by YouTube.
Yep, thanks 👍 He said about taking it to the 'Grand Prix circuit' who is this guy, some drifter?

XinaZ

First Name
Xzavier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Occupation
Detailer for Tesla
Yep, thanks 👍 He said about taking it to the 'Grand Prix circuit' who is this guy, some drifter?
Yeah honestly I don't know it says he's a radio DJ and a pretty known motor journalist in Japan as he is pretty cool with Mr. Drift King himself, Keiichi Tsuchiya.

Last edited:

romanLegion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
How could they? Swap back in stock ECU and no one's the wiser. Even if they could some how know there was an ECU swap, it doesn't establish anything beyond that if the stock ECU tune isn't touched.
This is overly simplistic thinking. Between redundancy measures, logging, metrics collection, and so much more, which any good software system should do, there's no way that someone who's looking for evidence of a ECU swap and tune is not going to find it.

The average dealership may not check during a service, but a warranty claims department will for a big bill.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
This is overly simplistic thinking. Between redundancy measures, logging, metrics collection, and so much more, which any good software system should do, there's no way that someone who's looking for evidence of a ECU swap and tune is not going to find it.

The average dealership may not check during a service, but a warranty claims department will for a big bill.
Not over simplistic by any means. As noted above only the ECU and TCM retain memory (and likely the BCM, but that likely won't be altered for a tune).

"measures, logging, metrics collection" - this is mostly done at the ECU level. If the car is automatic, the TCM level as well. So, in a manual car, disconnecting the battery and then disconnecting the ECU will only result in the ECU potentially noting that it was unplugged and reconnected at some future point in time. If the tune is on separate ECU, yes, no one will be the wiser unless TCM (auto) is also tuned.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I would think it would be relatively easy to include some kind of hidden check for an ECU removal, and then include a clause in the warranty voiding it where such removal/substitution could potentially be the source of the issue for which coverage is sought. It’s possible this might conflict with the “right to repair” laws in certain jurisdictions though.
If the ECU stores odometer data then that alone should be enough to detect that multiple ECU's have been used. Still doesn't necessarily prove anything other than just that, but I agree that it's enough of a red flag to potentially cause issues during a warranty claim.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
It’s possible this might conflict with the “right to repair” laws in certain jurisdictions though.
Apple has started up a DIY repair programme for their devices, but they get around that type of conflict by the last step in the process whereby the repair has to be authenticated by Apple themselves (remotely) before the device will work again. Something similar could be done by Nissan and other companies, although no doubt hackers will find ways around it anyway, as always.

(In terms of Apple programme, the cost of the parts, tools, and difficulty in opening up the devices means you're probably better off simply taking it to an authorised repair store anyway.)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Guys, on recent Nissan's there's some items preventing you from doing a "simple ECU swap"

1. The ECU itself, obviously. Because....
2. NATS is the keyless system Nissan uses. It MUST be programmed to the ECU and all key fobs
3. IPDM must also be paired to the ECU.
4. BCM

Additionally, it's possible this new electrical architecture may involve coding the cluster and infotainment to the ECU

You can't just swap an ECU, OBD1 and early OBD2 days are long behind us.