*** street racing ***

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
I don't blame people for driving off.
What are they supposed to do?
If it were my wife or son who witnessed, neither could really "help" in any way. And, I wouldn't want them in a dangerous situation where a second accident could occur with them outside of their car. At most, all they could do is pull over and be a witness, BUT, I have done this many times over the years, the police, nor the insurance companies, have never followed-up with me as a witness, and I have noticed that there's usually several people calling 911 at the same moment.

When I am driving my municipal work truck, I will stop and help. I have done it once, my truck is big and full of Whelen LED warning lights, arrow board, I have AED, fire extinguisher, safety gear/hi-vis vest and 1st Aid Kit. My work truck can close 2 lanes if need be. Stuff other people don't have and shouldn't be trying to put themselves at risk without.
Interesting perspective. I sure hope you don't find yourself in such an unfortunate incident and people turn a blind eye.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
When I was 17 I was driving my little Holden Gemini. The person in front of me was turning into a street, and so I stopped as she waited for oncoming traffic to do so.
The person behind me did not stop and rammed straight into the back of me.
My car was a write off, and I had bad whip lash. The lady in front of me had managed to turn just in time and was oblivious to what had happened.
An older man who was filling his car up at a petrol station at the time, ran over to check if I was ok. As I was young and it was my first accident I was quite shaken and not really thinking when he handed a business card with his name and number on it.
I exchanged details with the driver at fault and proceeded to go to work
Fast forward five years and my mother gets a call looking for myself from the police department. Stating that the lady who was at fault had been taken to court as she had no insurance and my insurance company was suing her for the cost of the write off. She had apparently stated that I had fabricated how bad the damage was and said I must have done more for it to be written off ….thankfully that little card the older gentleman had given me way back then had been kept by my mother (thank god) the police contacted him, he stated the pictures were a true representation of what had happened and that I and the car were not in good shape.
We never heard anything more after that.

Moral of the story…you never know when it might be the one time that a small gesture of kindness could in fact turn out to be so much more ….further more in the above situation, at the very least people should have pulled your one side, called the authorities and waited for an ambulance to arrive.
If that was my child in the car (especially the one not at fault) I would hope someone would be there to hold their hand and try and calm them in their last few moment of life. Even if there was nothing further they could have done
Ok, that's back in the day.

When I began driving, in Arizona, if you were caught without a license or registration the police would make you wait for someone to come get you, and your car would get impounded. Also, your insurance company had to notify DOL if your insurance lapsed, as they would immediately suspend the vehicle registration.

Fast forward 30 years and I've been hit twice, once by an illegal immigrant with no insurance. Police let him drive off in his uninsured truck, BTW my Q60 still wasn't fixed correctly and I have to fight my own insurance company.

Then I was in a head-on with a driver and passenger who were smoking weed.
They jumped out of the car and fled on foot into a bank, and a good Samaritan freaking chased after them and called the cops.

Do I appreciate that? Heck yeah, that dude was awesome!

The police asked the drivers why they and the car smell like weed.... they denied it. The cop wouldn't even do a field sobriety test. I asked why would he let them go if he knew they were high?
He said the driver wouldn't even be processed, waste of time.
That woman wrecked her daughter's car, fortunately it had insurance.

I live in a progressive state BTW. You can stick around and share your story all you want.
That good Samaritan who chased the driver and passenger did it all for nothing. The driver didn't even get arrested, it was just handled as a simple motor vehicle accident.

Now if someone dies, the police will do something. But, doesn't it send the wrong message?

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Did the part where I said I do help go right over your head?

Way to reframe it to take a jab at someone
My apologies. Can you share how I should interpret the below?

Maybe you and I live in a different world but one person leisurely drove around a horrible wreck that just happened in front of their eyes. Probably in a hurry to shove their face with a big Mac I'm sure. That wasn't some parking lot fender bender.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
My apologies. Can you share how I should interpret the below?

Maybe you and I live in a different world but one person leisurely drove around a horrible wreck that just happened in front of their eyes. Probably in a hurry to shove their face with a big Mac I'm sure. That wasn't some parking lot fender bender.
I got news for you. More than half of your country people will disappoint you.

You don't know why they drove away. I would tell my wife to call 911 then drive away because I couldn't trust her to safely exit her vehicle in a dynamic situation like that.

Myself, I am trained to offer aid, and in my personal vehicle I keep a high visibility safety vest, gloves and 1st aid kit. I will help, but I'd rather some people move on.

If you want to get so hung up on my words, have at it. You being disappointed in your fellow peoples won't fix anything.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
It's all fun and games until you get sued for fucking up CPR or not being able to keep someone from bleeding out because you decided to be a good samaritan.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I'm sure most people are reticent to approach someone who's dead or seriously injured. I've seen a couple of accidents, one happened right front of me, and only a small handful of people stopped.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
It's all fun and games until you get sued for fucking up CPR or not being able to keep someone from bleeding out because you decided to be a good samaritan.
At least in Florida, we have the Good Samaritan Law which shields a non-professional first responder from legal jeopardy.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I understand your reluctance….I just still don’t think it’s right.
Just because the police refuse to do the right thing, I dint think we should all follow.
The world is becoming more self centred by the day, no one cares about anyone else unless it’s their own family.
And there in lies the problem, the person in that car is someone’s child, brother father mother etc They did nothing wrong in this case, and if they didn’t die in impact …they died alone and frightened. If that was my family member I’d be devastated.

Here in Aus most people still stop and try to help. People even still pull people out of burning cars etc …I hope we stay that way for a good time to come

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
3 weeks ago I was at a car-pedestrian accident. Woman jaywalking got plowed by a van. She was in the gutter with her right leg disgustingly rearranged and in extreme pain.
A good Samaritan pulled over and tried to cuddle the victim.
We damn near had to put our hands on the good Samaritan to pull her away from the victim as she kept trying to cuddle her. We told her repeatedly to not lift the victims head....it really made the situation worse.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
I got news for you. More than half of your country people will disappoint you.

You don't know why they drove away. I would tell my wife to call 911 then drive away because I couldn't trust her to safely exit her vehicle in a dynamic situation like that.

Myself, I am trained to offer aid, and in my personal vehicle I keep a high visibility safety vest, gloves and 1st aid kit. I will help, but I'd rather some people move on.

If you want to get so hung up on my words, have at it. You being disappointed in your fellow peoples won't fix anything.
Nah it's all good. It's the internet. Most people disappoint me.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
At least in Florida, we have the Good Samaritan Law which shields a non-professional first responder from legal jeopardy.
Yes we do.

Me personally, I'd stop regardless of the law, and I have stopped (and taken action). Your normal person wouldn't because of that legitimate reason, and I wouldn't fault them for that simply because if something goes wrong, regardless of fault, a salty person would take advantage to make a quick buck.

OTOH, the very least a bystander can do is see if people are ok and call 911. Just walking/driving by is fucked.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Since I'm not trained for triage (was once but not renewed my cert), I would stop and try to isolate the situation/victim, maybe offer a blanket, then call 911 ASAP! That's the extent of it, do not want to worsen the situation.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
I think we're saying the same thing (well, I didn't really say it). So it sounds like most agree they would do something even if it's just stopping to call 911. To the extent involves that person's level of training, comfort, etc. I have zero medical training and wouldn't even feel comfortable performing cpr unless it was my own family member (hell, one of those jerks might sue me too). I'm fully aware of the risk involved of trying to take medical intervention when you have no idea what you're doing. Fortunately I've never been put in such a position. I'd like to think I would maybe drag someone from a burning car or something. At least that would give him/her a chance. I wasn't suggesting anyone should perform open heart surgery mcgyver style. But who the heck knows what I would do if I were placed in such a position.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Yes we do.

Me personally, I'd stop regardless of the law, and I have stopped (and taken action). Your normal person wouldn't because of that legitimate reason, and I wouldn't fault them for that simply because if something goes wrong, regardless of fault, a salty person would take advantage to make a quick buck.

OTOH, the very least a bystander can do is see if people are ok and call 911. Just walking/driving by is fucked.
Did you just pull some reverse psychology on me 🧐. I should probably get back to my nightcap.