Splotchy Paint on Hood

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I noticed some splotchy paint on the hood. It's hard to see in some lighting conditions, but obviously noticable under my garage lights. This photo captures only a little bit of it. It's almost like something splattered on the paint and caused a little damage.

PXL_20230522_173309627.jpg

It seems like it's along the edge where the transport protection wrap was (red arrow below), on both driver and passenger side. Anybody else seeing this?

IMG_20230426_171113~2.jpg

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
yeah you can definitely see the straights edge of the transport plastic. to me it looks like its just in the clear coat im thinking paint correction will fix that. is it totally smooth to the touch because there is a ton of adhesive all over this car from the transport protection. ive still got in on my rear bumper a month later

speaking of the clear I had some bird droppings right behind the roof on the plastic piece where the brake light is. was on there maybe 3 hours tops and it left an etching in the clear after it was wiped off. looks like little acid rain spots under the garage lighting. so it doesnt take much with the clear coat

MindScape

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z Performance (Black)
Occupation
Market Research
yeah you can definitely see the straights edge of the transport plastic. to me it looks like its just in the clear coat im thinking paint correction will fix that. is it totally smooth to the touch because there is a ton of adhesive all over this car from the transport protection. ive still got in on my rear bumper a month later

speaking of the clear I had some bird droppings right behind the roof on the plastic piece where the brake light is. was on there maybe 3 hours tops and it left an etching in the clear after it was wiped off. looks like little acid rain spots under the garage lighting. so it doesnt take much with the clear coat
This was driving me insane the other day - had some droppings that hit just above the katana (& on the katana) on passenger side. Got them off within a few hours. Can still see where it was and I can't clean it off at all on the paint - Katana wiped clean however. Luckily it's small and on passenger side so I can pretend it's not there for now..

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
This was driving me insane the other day - had some droppings that hit just above the katana (& on the katana) on passenger side. Got them off within a few hours. Can still see where it was and I can't clean it off at all on the paint - Katana wiped clean however. Luckily it's small and on passenger side so I can pretend it's not there for now..
basically the same spot for mine and I used a little scratch X polish to try to get the etching out but that paint is so soft right in that area all it did was sort of swirl it so I left it alone

Last edited:

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Ceramic coating for the win....

Have had multiple droppings on my car and with the Ceramic Coat and targeted cleaning products (I use CarPro Bug Out)

Absolutely nothing left behind!
Also let one bird bomb sit over a day without noticing and still came out like it was a fluff.

Highly recommend folks to get a proper CC if this is a concern.

Zplz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Avalon

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Ceramic coating for the win....

Have had multiple droppings on my car and with the Ceramic Coat and targeted cleaning products (I use CarPro Bug Out)

Absolutely nothing left behind!
Also let one bird bomb sit over a day without noticing and still came out like it was a fluff.

Highly recommend folks to get a proper CC if this is a concern.
That's fair and valid, but the clear coat shouldn't be THAT thin.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've never had a ceramic coating on any of my previous cars, so I'm a little hesitant about taking the plunge.

My G37 made it to maybe 10 years before it had some clear coat issues on the rear spoiler. I ended up selling the car at 11 years. I washed it maybe once a month on average (less in the winter, more in the summer), and took pretty good care of it.

The Z has the splotchy bits, which I plan to take to a detailer. I'm hoping paint correction will resolve it. But I'm thinking now that maybe a ceramic coating is not a bad idea.

So I'm looking for advice from you fine folks.

First, what are your thoughts on the warnings in the owner's manual about not applying anything around the radar and sonar sensors?

Screenshot_20230603-105602.png

Screenshot_20230603-105924.png

Second, how does the ceramic coating hold up? And how does it look when it starts to break down? If I do this, will I be wishing in 5 years that I hadn't?

Z06fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chevrolet SS Sedan, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
entrepreneur
I had a new vehicle ceramic coated (ceramic pro) in 2017. It was the first time I've done it. I don't think I'd ever buy another new car and not have it done. It holds up well, gives the car a better shine, and dirt basically sprays off with a hose. Highly recommend it.

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
First, what are your thoughts on the warnings in the owner's manual about not applying anything around the radar and sonar sensors?

Second, how does the ceramic coating hold up? And how does it look when it starts to break down? If I do this, will I be wishing in 5 years that I hadn't?
For the first point, - not sure, askyour local expert (I'll lookto ask as well as i'm bumping into them pretty soon), but i know having my car coated - everything works fine.
I think it's more of an issue with PPF, as my PPF service informed me that the sensors were not covered (you can visibly see a "cut-out" for the sensor from the film)

You're second point: depends on so many factors! The brand of CC, your maintenance care, garage/outdoor, environment/geography, etc.

Generally, whatever a decent brand states (i.e. 2-year, 3-year, etc. [side note: i was told by many pros that the 5-year one are total ripoff and never las that long]) take off a year or 6 months depending on these factors. Honestly, the better care you put into it - it may very well last the stated term.

As to how it looks when breaking down- no clue, first CC car.
Coming up on 2months tomorrow
washed 3x
"rinseless clean/detail" on a weekly / two-week basis depending on drive time
Car still looks and it's CC properties are still like they were on day 1.

All in all, has made the cleaning and care experience amazing. Top it with the look after a fresh clean/detail - breathtaking.

Took her out for a backwood spirited drive yesterday, roughly 300kms/180mis.
front was covered in bugs and that sort, alot of dust film, a bit of tree sap (parked under a tree during a lunch break), etc.
This is a picture after a "bug-out" front spray and a whole car "quick clean" spray then rinse off.
PXL_20230603_224539806.jpg

SDate42

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, BMW 130i, Mitsubishi Pajero & Lancer
Occupation
Auto electrician/mechanic
Hey, I just got my car back from the detailers today. I dropped it off approx 2 weeks after delivery without washing or anything prior.

I hadn’t noticed anything on the bonnet like this, however I did notice lines on the rear quarter from the adhesive protector film.

I collected the car and chatted with the detailer and he mentioned what he said looked like “overspray” on the bonnet. I didn’t notice, so I have no photos, and he was able to fully correct the issue with polish.

Hopefully you can get the issue corrected and sealed with a wax or ceramic coat ect!

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully you can get the issue corrected and sealed with a wax or ceramic coat ect!
Thanks! I'm having the windows tinted and a ceramic coating applied in a few weeks. The detailer came with a good recommendation, so I have high hopes it'll be straightened out.