• Total voters

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
I also had something very unfortunate happen to my current ride last Monday so I'm rethinking everything right now.
If possible, WAIT.

Things are starting to cool off, cars are back to 2019 values (as if it's still 2019) and houses are starting to sit again - If at all possible, give it time.

This is the absolute worst time to buy anything. There's going to be a fire sale on everything this time next year.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Yeah im out for now, those prices just arent worth it to me (yes I realize other cars are also expensive šŸ™ˆ). I'll just hold onto my STI and see what happens in 6-12 months but im not in a hurry to piss away money. Id rather donate to a good charity.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Sorry to hear, bud. Hope you're able to get back on your feet (tires?) soon.

(dark humor is a coping mechanism, forgive me)

Hear ya. Strong contenders for sure.

I keep finding myself looking up GR's, and one of the dealers around here has a Premium 6-speed en route later this month. Can't really fit into ND2's from the factory, would have to fuss with the seats like I did in my NA, and will we ever see 981's at reasonable prices again? Or any Caymans for that matter. Sigh.

I really do want a Z, and will have one at some point, but it's so hard to know how the second half of this year is going to play out. Fortunate to not be in a rush to buy right now, but still.
Lol, all good. Appreciate it. This is probably the worst thing that's happened to me financially or otherwise in a really long time, (maybe ever?) so for that I consider myself really fortunate. I may actually end up walking away with more money to spend on a new car(s), I'll just be down 1 car that I had no plans of getting rid of for far too little in return.

I was going to start a new thread to get some input from people that have sunk a ton of money into a car before and explain the exact situation; I just haven't had the time. I don't want to derail this thread but the gist of it is the head is warped and currently at a machine shop to see if it can be decked. Waiting to hear back on that before I decide anything. Bottom end appears to have survived and the oil looked normal after being drained. Just playing around with 3-4 different options at this point until I know more.

Been trying to move up the GR86 purchase as well but no luck so far. Looking for a Neptune or Raven, Premium, 6MT and most I find are either sold but still listed or they want $5k ADM. Maybe $2,500 ADM on base models but I'm not interested in a base. World Toyota in Atl has one exactly how I want it for $42,992 after taxes and fees. It's not worth it to me. I reached out to the salesman at the dealer where I have deposits for the GR Corolla and GR86 SE last week, and he said there were 196 GR86's in allocation for 177 stores but he wouldn't know if they're getting anything until today.

If possible, WAIT.

Things are starting to cool off, cars are back to 2019 values (as if it's still 2019) and houses are starting to sit again - If at all possible, give it time.

This is the absolute worst time to buy anything. There's going to be a fire sale on everything this time next year.
Believe me, I want to. It's just going to be tough or near impossible to be down to 1 car until this time next year.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Lol, all good. Appreciate it. This is probably the worst thing that's happened to me financially or otherwise in a really long time, (maybe ever?) so for that I consider myself really fortunate. I may actually end up walking away with more money to spend on a new car(s), I'll just be down 1 car that I had no plans of getting rid of for far too little in return.

I was going to start a new thread to get some input from people that have sunk a ton of money into a car before and explain the exact situation; I just haven't had the time. I don't want to derail this thread but the gist of it is the head is warped and currently at a machine shop to see if it can be decked. Waiting to hear back on that before I decide anything. Bottom end appears to have survived and the oil looked normal after being drained. Just playing around with 3-4 different options at this point until I know more.

Been trying to move up the GR86 purchase as well but no luck so far. Looking for a Neptune or Raven, Premium, 6MT and most I find are either sold but still listed or they want $5k ADM. Maybe $2,500 ADM on base models but I'm not interested in a base. World Toyota in Atl has one exactly how I want it for $42,992 after taxes and fees. It's not worth it to me. I reached out to the salesman at the dealer where I have deposits for the GR Corolla and GR86 SE last week, and he said there were 196 GR86's in allocation for 177 stores but he wouldn't know if they're getting anything until today.

Believe me, I want to. It's just going to be tough or near impossible to be down to 1 car until this time next year.
wait did u over heat that the head warpped

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
wait did u over heat that the head warpped
Lower radiator hose broke. I originally thought it was the water pump because of the 2E83 code but the pump only has 30k on it so I was a bit surprised. Must've been no coolant left by the time the yellow low coolant light came on as it had all leaked onto the front passenger wheel/tire and sprayed onto that side of the car.

I plugged in MHD, pulled over as fast as I could and cut the car off. When I pulled over the oil temp was normal for the summer, right at 250. Coolant temp was reading 260 which usually runs 210 max, sometimes as lows as 190. Thermostat/coolant was just replaced about a week prior and the car was running perfectly. Before the car started cooling down the oil temp was showing 280.

The radiator hose was replaced the next day, filled it with coolant and found out the damage was much worse than a radiator hose or water pump.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Lower radiator hose broke. I originally thought it was the water pump because of the 2E83 code but the pump only has 30k on it so I was a bit surprised. Must've been no coolant left by the time the yellow low coolant light came on as it had all leaked onto the front passenger wheel/tire and sprayed onto that side of the car.

I plugged in MHD, pulled over as fast as I could and cut the car off. When I pulled over the oil temp was normal for the summer, right at 250. Coolant temp was reading 260 which usually runs 210 max, sometimes as lows as 190. Thermostat/coolant was just replaced about a week prior and the car was running perfectly. Before the car started cooling down the oil temp was showing 280.

The radiator hose was replaced the next day, filled it with coolant and found out the damage was much worse than a radiator hose or water pump.
you had someone replace the coolant and tstat or you did it, i ask cause ive seen this a few times in the shop someone breaks the lip off the edge of the radiator or they rip the hose cause they are trying to rip the clamp off with a screw driver

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
you had someone replace the coolant and tstat or you did it, i ask cause ive seen this a few times in the shop someone breaks the lip off the edge of the radiator or they rip the hose cause they are trying to rip the clamp off with a screw driver
Shop, yeah I know what you mean and I'd be lying if said that hadn't crossed my mind. They've been very reliable for me since 2015 with only 3 people employed there, so the same people doing the work and really only work on European cars, mostly 911's. If it was the install I just think I would have seen some signs the week or so in between. I park in the garage and there wasn't any sign of a leak and I had been monitoring temps through MHD every time out while hammering it in 90-100 degree weather. The afternoon the hose broke was the first ride that I didn't bother monitoring. For as much stuff as I've replaced under the hood, I wish I hadn't overlooked a $50 hose that was likely 14 years old with 154k miles on it. I replaced the upper one and flange myself about 25k miles prior.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
Shop, yeah I know what you mean and I'd be lying if said that hadn't crossed my mind. They've been very reliable for me since 2015 with only 3 people employed there, so the same people doing the work and really only work on European cars, mostly 911's. If it was the install I just think I would have seen some signs the week or so in between. I park in the garage and there wasn't any sign of a leak and I had been monitoring temps through MHD every time out while hammering it in 90-100 degree weather. The afternoon the hose broke was the first ride that I didn't bother monitoring. For as much stuff as I've had replaced under the hood, I wish I hadn't overlooked a $50 hose that was likely 14 years old with 154k miles on it. I replaced the upper one and flange myself about 25k miles prior.
yea its the first thing i ask about when i get work like that ever like prior stuff if your new and shit and sometimes i would turn people away or tell them to go back to the shop to get warranty work

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
For me, it's all relative to the medium to long term.

I bought a one owner Z32 four years ago. I immediately had a mechanical restoration done on it with belts, hoses, bearings, bushings, brakes, tranny upgrade to '96+ JDM, steering rack, coils, and the like - about $12k in a car I bought for $9,500. It drives as new with no issues.

I did this because it was a car I always wanted, it was asthetically perfect with 4k avg miles a year, and I knew I'd keep it for years.

Sure, I could've spent twice as much for a used Porsche, but then I'd have repair bills on top of that.

Plus, I get yelled at, waved at, and admired a couple of times a week. It brings me joy I'm driving something fairly rare and it looks and drives as new, and it brings people joy as their memory takes them back to an earlier time in their lives.

20181020_104715_copy_1612x907 (1).jpg

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Shop, yeah I know what you mean and I'd be lying if said that hadn't crossed my mind. They've been very reliable for me since 2015 with only 3 people employed there, so the same people doing the work and really only work on European cars, mostly 911's. If it was the install I just think I would have seen some signs the week or so in between. I park in the garage and there wasn't any sign of a leak and I had been monitoring temps through MHD every time out while hammering it in 90-100 degree weather. The afternoon the hose broke was the first ride that I didn't bother monitoring. For as much stuff as I've replaced under the hood, I wish I hadn't overlooked a $50 hose that was likely 14 years old with 154k miles on it. I replaced the upper one and flange myself about 25k miles prior.

Good luck! Those n54/55 don't bounce back from overheating statistically.
Owned an 08 n54 around 420hp lived the n54 forums for several years.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
getting closer and seeing some dealer pricing...which we knew were gonna be a bit more. anyone changed their minds?

6nv6mv.jpg

Zupra88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
getting closer and seeing some dealer pricing...which we knew were gonna be a bit more. anyone changed their minds?
I recently bought a new daily so with market adjustments and dealer mark ups I may just wait another year or get an R32 GTR for a project while I mod my Supra some more.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I recently bought a new daily so with market adjustments and dealer mark ups I may just wait another year or get an R32 GTR for a project while I mod my Supra some more.
what did you end up getting?

an r32 is still on my list, but currently have 3 jdm 90s cars lol...so the Z would be more practical.

Zupra88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
what did you end up getting?

an r32 is still on my list, but currently have 3 jdm 90s cars lol...so the Z would be more practical.
I got a 2022 F-150 Lariat. The ventilated seats are great with this Texas heat. Traded my Ranger for something bigger with more features.
The R32 is on my bucket list, but Iā€™m always tempted to get another Z32.