Should I buy this Z?

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Dealer called me today.. they have a manual yellow Z, no markup but they added on a “protection package”. Going to see how much I can get for my trade in. Fingers crossed!! In Canada. Deposit since last February.

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Dealer called me today.. they have a manual yellow Z, no markup but they added on a “protection package”. Going to see how much I can get for my trade in. Fingers crossed!! In Canada. Deposit since last February.
the protection package is the "mark up"

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
is there a set across the board price for this package, or is it at dealers descretion?

is there any wiggle room?

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
In Canada they can hide the mark up in the "package", usually they already added it to the car before listing it for sale to tack on a few extra grand. Here it's not as extreme as the USA. Usually it's dealer discretion as to what the package actually is. Probably just a fancy word for a very expensive wax job and some interior scotch guard lmao

For a car that's available right now for mrsp plus their "protection package" could be worth it if you don't want to wait for your reservation to come in, which could literally be any time. I believe if you order a car, you have to agree to the packages before they prep the car. That's also where they try and sell you on the electronic rust protection, the extended warranties, and police panel tracking stuff. But. Since it's already their allocation they're free to add what ever then sell it on with that stuff already baked into the price

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
"protection package" has been a rip off even before the pandemic tricks. Right there with nitrogen.

If I "had" to let a dealership add some kind of markup, I'd prefer it be window tint. Even if they add a couple hundred to it, at least it's something I can see and use every day.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
"protection package" has been a rip off even before the pandemic tricks. Right there with nitrogen.

If I "had" to let a dealership add some kind of markup, I'd prefer it be window tint. Even if they add a couple hundred to it, at least it's something I can see and use every day.
100% this. Same with, and it pains me to say, door/trunk guards. I'm very careful, however shit still happens - not to mention the variable that is other people.

Gman5556

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru STI
Just buy it if it's the spec you want.

Delivery to dealers is whatever Nissan happens to produce and send that specific dealer. The preorders are not actually factory manufacturing orders. That's why no one, including those that have already taken delivery, in Canada ever received details on when our orders will be assembled in the factory as we were promised in the confirmation email. If dealer X happens to receive the spec you ordered they call you and say your order is ready.

I am in process of taking delivery of mine and went through the same thing with the add one. In my case I was willing to pay a few grand over MSRP because I found a dealer willing to sell me their proto spec. Protos were not available to preorder but I called around when a few started rolling in. Subsequently cancelled my performance spec pre order at my original dealer.

Note also there is a stop sale order on these cars in Canada for the transmission issue. My transmission is being entirely replaced before delivery.

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Just buy it if it's the spec you want.

Delivery to dealers is whatever Nissan happens to produce and send that specific dealer. The preorders are not actually factory manufacturing orders. That's why no one, including those that have already taken delivery, in Canada ever received details on when our orders will be assembled in the factory as we were promised in the confirmation email. If dealer X happens to receive the spec you ordered they call you and say your order is ready.

I am in process of taking delivery of mine and went through the same thing with the add one. In my case I was willing to pay a few grand over MSRP because I found a dealer willing to sell me their proto spec. Protos were not available to preorder but I called around when a few started rolling in. Subsequently cancelled my performance spec pre order at my original dealer.

Note also there is a stop sale order on these cars in Canada for the transmission issue. My transmission is being entirely replaced before delivery.
yeah the only difference is the color and I actually like the yellow. I never asked if the transmission on the one they have was replaced

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
So basically your saying I should take it because we don’t really know how many will be produced?

Gman5556

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru STI
So basically your saying I should take it because we don’t really know how many will be produced?
I love the yellow too! Immediately I think of the original 240 and the 90s 300. Hence why I held out for the Proto.

What I mean is we don't know (from the looks of it Nissan Canada doesn't know either) how many will actually be delivered to Canada, which dealer will get what spec/colour/transmission, and when. If you like it and the price is within reason/affordable for you then it's your call.

Some prices are definitely stretched though. There is a yellow performance in Waterloo Ontario listed at $69,900 plus tax and fees. That's what protos seem to be selling for.

On the other hand a Toyota dealer in Vaughan sold their 1 of 50 A91-MT Supra for $100k vs MSRP of $74k. They drove the car around for 1,000 kms and listed as used where there are no standards on pricing.

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I love the yellow too! Immediately I think of the original 240 and the 90s 300. Hence why I held out for the Proto.

What I mean is we don't know (from the looks of it Nissan Canada doesn't know either) how many will actually be delivered to Canada, which dealer will get what spec/colour/transmission, and when. If you like it and the price is within reason/affordable for you then it's your call.

Some prices are definitely stretched though. There is a yellow performance in Waterloo Ontario listed at $69,900 plus tax and fees. That's what protos seem to be selling for.

On the other hand a Toyota dealer in Vaughan sold their 1 of 50 A91-MT Supra for $100k vs MSRP of $74k. They drove the car around for 1,000 kms and listed as used where there are no standards on pricing.
Gotcha. And that’s insane on the Supra :O for my dealer it comes out to 71k but I am negotiating as I don’t want the protection package my budget is 63ish all in

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
So much wrong in this thread about preorders, thats americas region where you put down a deposit and a random allocation would come. Nissan canada has directly taken preorders not the dealers itself, unless this has been passed to u by nissan canada this would be misleading information

Gman5556

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru STI
So much wrong in this thread about preorders, thats americas region where you put down a deposit and a random allocation would come. Nissan canada has directly taken preorders not the dealers itself, unless this has been passed to u by nissan canada this would be misleading information
I hope I turn out to be wrong. Nissan Canada is not delivering the pre orders, you would have selected a dealership to work with.

My thinking was it probably takes 3-4 months for an order to begin production at the factory, ship to Vancouver, and then to the final destination in Canada. So theoretically if you were to receive notice today that your order is scheduled to be assembled (which as far as I am aware no one in Canada has been notified yet) the earliest delivery would be April/May.

I would have waited for my performance pre order before cancelling too but like I said I had the opportunity to buy a proto so I took it.

Would also explain why OP's dealer contacted him to offer a car that he did not pre order.

Let's hope we all get our new Z's soon!