Sponsored

Rear end whine on NISMO Z, manual...

Shumax

Member
First Name
Curt
Joined
Aug 17, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
17
Reaction score
9
Location
Wooster, Ohio
Car(s)
2027 Nissan NISMO Z, manual
Occupation
Sales
2027 NISMO Z, Manual. Has ~300 miles on it and I've not had it on the highway, yet.

Taking it to the dealer for the clunking in the front end (noisy NISMO coilovers in the front, only), this Saturday. On the way:

  1. After about 25 miles of driving, I got on the highway and got up to 70mph.
  2. I noticed a whine that sounds like a supercharger in the rear - not by the gear shift. It's behind me. I also notice a 'whirling' noise at all speeds above 45mph in the same area. Thought it was the exhaust...? Maybe not?
  3. I can hear it, most, in 3rd-5th gear. Mostly because the exhaust over powers it in 1st and 2nd gear and there is some drone in 6th gear that also overpowers that sound at those speeds.
  4. I only hear it when it's warmed up and ONLY when accelerating. It's definitely coming from behind me - rear diff?
It's at a reputable Nissan dealership, now, to sort the clunking on the NISMO coilovers in the front. But, as mentioned, I've not had it above 45mph-ish, so this is the first time I heard the whine noise. Again, it sounds like a slightly muted supercharger.

I would ask if this is normal, but can't imagine that it is. Perhaps I am new to the car and it really is?

Thoughts?

Many thanks!
 

chadgigachad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
178
Reaction score
128
Location
Texas
Car(s)
Stealth Grey 24 Nissan Z Nismo
Could be the clutches in the diff going bad? Maybe have a tech test drive with you, they may end up replacing it
 

Osage

Well-Known Member
First Name
Wade
Joined
Aug 1, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
80
Reaction score
105
Location
Austin
Car(s)
2027 Z Nismo MT, 2026 Pathfinder Rock Creek
Let us know how it goes! Curious to see if there’s an issue.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,933
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
New rear differential under warranty coming up! Either they forgot to fill it with fluid or the gears were incorrectly set during installation.
 
 






Top