Random Car News Thread

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Via Hagerty - Manuals will stick around in BMW M products until 2030 (hyperlinked)

"
Intake: Row-your-own gearboxes will remain on the menus of BMW’s highest-performance products until at least the end of the decade. Speaking with media at a the BMW M Festival at the Kyalami Grand Prix circuit in South Africa, BMW M Boss Frank van Meel made it clear that the clutch pedal still has a place in the M division’s lineup, according to a report from CarBuzz. “The manual is unfortunately not so widespread anymore,” says van Meel. “It’s more in the segment of the M2 and M3, and the M4. And for those cars, we continue offering the manual, and those cars will run for a long time until the end of this decade.” BMW just revealed a second-gen M2 last week, and the manual gearbox is a no-cost option there. So long as customers keep asking for three pedals, van Meel says that BMW will supply them. Timo Resch, BMW M’s vice president of customer, brand, and sales, adds that the manual hasn’t always been a shoo-in, particularly when it came to convincing the BMW M engineering team. Modern automatics and dual-clutch gearboxes are faster lap-over-lap than their manual counterparts, but that hasn’t stopped clients from opting for the slower, more engaging driving experience. “We said that’s what our customers asked for,” said Resch. “And we really actively listened to our customers, to our fan base. The fans asked for it. They got it.”

Exhaust: There’s more to a driving experience than just raw pace, even on track. Driving a manual-equipped car well is a whole-body tango, and getting it right is one of the best feelings. Note that BMW’s biggest sedans—the M5 and the M8—will be auto-only. This is only a mild bummer, since both of these beasts hew more towards continent-smashing GT car than they do apex predator. Fine by us, so long as the smaller M machinery still gets it for a while yet. — Nathan Petroelje"

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Everything in that article lays out specific acts which were taken that resulted in financial and legal perils for the public. Those acts perverted legal business transactions done by every dealer.

No politics were involved.
The current dealer system is a function of politics. Including rules and regulations that can be impediments to competitors and disrupters.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Toyota gives in, cuts production forecasts

"Intake: Toyota, for most of the year, insisted it could build 9.7 million vehicles in the current fiscal year, but Thursday bowed to the pressures of a semiconductor industry that isn’t recovering as quickly as Toyota hoped, and said the 9.7 million target is no longer realistic. “In abandoning its target, the automaker said it ‘expects’ to lower its worldwide production schedule for the fiscal year ending March 31, though it did not offer a new target,” said Automotive News. Suspensions in Japan will affect 11 lines in eight plants. Models affected are expected to be Corolla, Corolla Cross, RAV4, Camry, Crown, Land Cruiser Prado and 4Runner, as well as the Lexus LS, IS RC, NX, UX, ES and GX.

Exhaust: Analysts thought Toyota’s predictions may be ambitious, and it turned out they were right. Exactly when there will be enough semiconductors to go around is still anybody’s guess.–Steven Cole Smith"

I know the GRC is built in a different factory, but still wonder if it'll impact the amount made.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Random Car News UPDATE:

New Car Sales are still slumping

and . . .

6f32014bb2a8214550619b555741ea1cc4dbd7a7.gif

Used Car Prices are still cRaZy High
I hope this trend continues into motorcycles so I can finally buy a new CRF300L at or below (yeah right) MSRP!

1666627644236.png

How obscenely fun would this thing be with a supermoto conversion!?!

1666627899631.png

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
If manufacturers can hit 20k price, I'd probably get an EV, for use as our household primary economy car for general urban area driving. That seems the forte for EV these days - an urban household having local (at the house) charging capability and not needing 200+ range.

An EV would probably meet 80% of our driving needs, with hardly ever requiring a remote charge. Then add a couple of petrol utility/fun cars to the household, such as a 4x4 for off-road and hauling duties, along with a sports car for pavement fun and performance.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/26/business/chevrolet-bolt-sales
"The Chevy Bolt’s huge sales prove America is craving a cheap electric car"

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
If manufacturers can hit 20k price, I'd probably get an EV, for use as our household primary economy car for general urban area driving. That seems the forte for EV these days - an urban household having local (at the house) charging capability and not needing 200+ range.

An EV would probably meet 80% of our driving needs, with hardly ever requiring a remote charge. Then add a couple of petrol utility/fun cars to the household, such as a 4x4 for off-road and hauling duties, along with a sports car for pavement fun and performance.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/26/business/chevrolet-bolt-sales
"The Chevy Bolt’s huge sales prove America is craving a cheap electric car"
I got mine (Bolt EUV) for like $24k after all the rebates. Sticker prices was like $36k. They say next year there should be an additional $2500-5000 rebate possibly coming. Like you said, it fits 80% of my driving needs. Can get me to the beach and back on one charge and thats about the farthest I go. Got the Supra for the track and a Jeep for off roading. Thats all I need.