OEM Potenza S007...performance in cold weather?

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
My 2024 Performance Z came with the usual Potenza S007 tires. On my previous 370Z's I always ditched the OEM Potenzas and switched to Michelin PSS with the first tire change. I never worried about cold weather adhesion because, this being Minnesota, I always put the car away until spring with the first snowflake, usually November, at which point the roads are undriveable by a RWD 400 hp sports car with only a few inches of ground clearance and big, fat summer tires. Now, this has been an unusual winter here in the Frozen North and this week I find temps in the 40's (for the next week or so) along with dry and snow-free roads everywhere. Very rare and I find myself in the unheard-of Minnesota-in-January position of contemplating getting the Z out for few days until we return to winter, assuming that we do. It only has a couple of hundred miles and has the OEM Potenzas.

My question...how bad are these S007's in 35-40° F temps?

TwinZurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
I'm lightly tuned, but:
Normal driving is fine. You'll quickly find the limits with spirted driving.

2nd gear spins tires once boost hits for me around those temps.
3rd isn't bad, but I believe traction control is working overtime.

Around 20F, I let the clutch out slow in a downhill turn in 2nd, 20mph and the car went sideways for a couple seconds. Like.. 90 degree rotation. Luckily I was alone and the road is extra wide there.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
The 007s suck when it's in the 50s (°F). Please report your results.

I'm already pricing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for when the 007s wear out, but this raises the question: which Michelin tires for your Z?
  • Pilot Super Sport
  • Pilot 4S
  • Other?

OP
OP
MacCool

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
retired
I used the Pilot Super ports for previous Z's and they were a great tire. I don't track the car but do drive aggressively. Probably don't need tires of that quality but the thing that sold me is they also tend to be quieter and reportedly had better rain grip than the Potenza.

The Pilot Super Sports have been apparently replaced by the 4S which by all reports is an excellent tire. I don't have experience with it but that will likey be the one that I upgrade to next year once it's time to replace tires.

I used to buy all my tires from Tire Rack online because they had substantially better pricing, and then I would have them installed locally. That was a hassle because it pretty much involved putting the Z on jackstands and then taking all four tires in at the same time. Tire Rack has been bought by Discount Tire and they aggressively push Michelin tires, and now the pricing is the same. My local Discount Tire store has exceptional customer service and aggressive pricing on Michelin. Most importantly to me, they have soft-grip tire changers so the risk of damaging the painted rims on the Performance Z will be substantially less.

OP
OP
MacCool

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
retired
The 007s suck when it's in the 50s (°F). Please report your results.
I was out running errands all day yesterday in the Z (Performance, AT). The roads were dry and reasonably warm in the sun at 40°F ambient temperature. There was some dust on the roads from salting for what little snow we've had this year. That did impair grip a bit, but I didn't really push the car hard enough to test the limits.

it was fun… First time I've ever driven any Z I've ever owned in Minnesota in January.

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
They are terrible in the cold/snow/wet.

Anything will make them spin and slide.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
The Pilot Super Sports have been apparently replaced by the 4S which by all reports is an excellent tire. I don't have experience with it but that will likey be the one that I upgrade to next year once it's time to replace tires.
This is what I thought as well, that the 4S had replaced Super Sport.

But Discount Tire actually lists both tires on their web site as "available nearby" for basically the same price.

1000019040.png

1000019039.png

OP
OP
MacCool

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
retired
This is what I thought as well, that the 4S had replaced Super Sport.

But Discount Tire actually lists both tires on their web site as "available nearby" for basically the same price.
Discount Tire has two websites....Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct. One is online ordering with tires shipped to your home, and the other provides online scheduling for tire installation at the time of ordering the tires. https://www.discounttirefamily.com/about-us/ . I first became aware of this when I ordered a set of 4 tires shipped to the store but they didn't provide a space for scheduling installation. I called them to cancel but they just apologized and told me they'd ship to the store and install the tires for free. It's a really good company IMHO.

I will say that Costco (which is right across the street from Discount Tire here) sells their tires usually for about the same price, but installation is included. I have a lot of confidence in Discount Tires having bought a LOT of tires from them, have never availed myself of Costco's tires.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 9.35.47 AM.png

CRYDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Proto, 2013 BMW M3 GTS
Occupation
sometimes
My 2024 Performance Z came with the usual Potenza S007 tires. On my previous 370Z's I always ditched the OEM Potenzas and switched to Michelin PSS with the first tire change. I never worried about cold weather adhesion because, this being Minnesota, I always put the car away until spring with the first snowflake, usually November, at which point the roads are undriveable by a RWD 400 hp sports car with only a few inches of ground clearance and big, fat summer tires. Now, this has been an unusual winter here in the Frozen North and this week I find temps in the 40's (for the next week or so) along with dry and snow-free roads everywhere. Very rare and I find myself in the unheard-of Minnesota-in-January position of contemplating getting the Z out for few days until we return to winter, assuming that we do. It only has a couple of hundred miles and has the OEM Potenzas.

My question...how bad are these S007's in 35-40° F temps?
go drive it and find out! Let us know. LoL

OP
OP
MacCool

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
retired
Maybe they have some left in inventory.

OP
OP
MacCool

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
retired
My experience on these OEM Potenzas over the last few days, sunny and 40° ambient, dry roads, has been that I've seen no traction issues up to 0.6 G's. I haven't pushed it any harder than that. I do notice every crack and tar strip on the road, likely a combination of tire and the heavy sway bars which I have set at maximum stiffness. My wife's 2021 Murano with new Michelin Defenders has a much better ride than the Z...not surprised at that of course, nor am I disappointed...I didn't buy a Z for the ride quality. This new Z is a great car and after changing out the sway bars, I'm completely satisfied with its performance relative to my relatively sedate needs these days.