First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Two seconds slower to 100 is a fucking eternity. That alone is enough for me.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
That's my dilemma too. Can't really afford more than the sport Z or I'd probably have a Supra by now. There's really no other new cars in that price range that offer what the Z sport does so I shall keep waiting lol
At least you get the choiceā€¦only proto or hybrid Performance/sport model for us here in Aus.
Both pretty expensive, but still less than the Supra and most other competitors

I really donā€™t way the Supra looks ā€¦I wouldnā€™t buy it.
So options are few and far between. Thus the reason Iā€™m looking into whatā€™s available on the second hand market because the prices are starting to come down

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I'm familiar with this 'BMW-ness' of snap oversteer (prev E46 M3) and here it is again with the manual Supra. We will be at Streets of Willow next month with Nissan Challenge, I'd bet the new Z, (with better tires) and my 240Z, are more neutral than this.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-toyota-gr-supra-manual-pros-cons-review/

1674139343476.png

Like Stoklosa, most judges weren't exactly enamored with the Supra's on-track behavior. Technical director Frank Markus noted the car had "relatively high handling limits but didn't telegraph them to the driver very well." Its tail-happy demeanor was also called out as a concern. "I know they wanted it to be drifty," features editor Scott Evans said, "but it really affects how much you can push this car. "

Some sports cars are easier than others to drive aggressively on a track, especially a tight, turn-heavy layout like Streets, and simply put, several judges had a hard time managing the Toyota's idiosyncrasies. "I was constantly flailing at the steering wheel in this car," Markus said. "If it broke loose, it broke loose spectacularly, requiring big handfuls of opposite lock. "

Last edited:

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
If a blue 6MT BMW Supra ever showed up at my local Toyota dealer for MSRP or under (hey, could happen with the way this economy is going) I would find it real difficult to walk away without buying it. That Supra is ripping for a manual car! In gear acceleration must be really impressive!
I'm feeling the pull in that direction, too, man!

I have found myself looking around southern FL (300-mile radius from Naples, basically) to see if a CPO 2021/22 3.0 Supra in yellow (the only color I'm currently considering). If one showed up, and the details looked good to me, I'd have such a difficult time not going for it.

This rollout has really soured me but, hey, maybe Nissan will pull a rabbit out of...somewhere and make some changes to the 2024 models that could address at least *some* concerns. Upgraded tires, revised 9AT programming, maybe even some suspension tuning, a mid-tier trim level. These would all be welcome additions.

I've had my Z since '17 and the itch is kicking in a bit, I confess.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

I have found myself looking around southern FL (300-mile radius from Naples, basically) to see if a CPO 2021/22 3.0 Supra in yellow (the only color I'm currently considering). If one showed up, and the details looked good to me, I'd have such a difficult time not going for it.

This rollout has really soured me but, hey, maybe Nissan will pull a rabbit out of...somewhere and make some changes to the 2024 models that could address at least *some* concerns. Upgraded tires, revised 9AT programming, maybe even some suspension tuning, a mid-tier trim level. These would all be welcome additions.

A blue 6MT Supra is for sale at the Toyota dealership near me. $57k MSRP with $10k in add-ons/markups. Even if I got it back to $57k, I've already decided to get a Sport Z because I can no longer afford a +$53k or more sports car with 11% sales tax. My son is 2 months away from driving, so I can't sell my current car to but a Supra or Performance Z. I can still afford a Sport, thankfully.

Anyone in WA wants a blue 6MT Supra, it's at Swickard Toyota.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Once C8 prices come back from La-La Land (and they are) - Both of these are dead IMO

The only thing that is keeping the Supra alive is C8 prices got stupid.
That's possible, but I'd argue that there are different audiences, too. Despite the C8 seeing lower-aged buyers relative to previous Corvette generations, it's still often viewed as a "Boomer car," at least from a popular culture perspective. Now, that may change or even be changing, with more Gen Xers purchasing the C8, but time will tell. I haven't seen much reliable data on A90 Supra buyers average age, but all signs appear to point to Gen Y being the largest group.

I'm just saying that there is a different appeal based upon the image that the cars convey, and that age is almost certainly a factor in that.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
A blue 6MT Supra is for sale at the Toyota dealership near me. $57k MSRP with $10k in add-ons/markups. Even if I got it back to $57k, I've already decided to get a Sport Z because I can no longer afford a +$53k or more sports car with 11% sales tax. My son is 2 months away from driving, so I can't sell my current car to but a Supra or Performance Z. I can still afford a Sport, thankfully.

Anyone in WA wants a blue 6MT Supra, it's at Swickard Toyota.
If you get a Z, will you let your son drive it? :)

Our used BRZ, was kind of a "joint venture", between myself and two sons. I made them each kick in $1500, for some equity ownership, hoping to make them more inclined to take care of it. So far so good (knock on wood). They've driven it all around the country with only a few small dings.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
That's possible, but I'd argue that there are different audiences, too. Despite the C8 seeing lower-aged buyers relative to previous Corvette generations, it's still often viewed as a "Boomer car," at least from a popular culture perspective. Now, that may change or even be changing, with more Gen Xers purchasing the C8, but time will tell. I haven't seen much reliable data on A90 Supra buyers average age, but all signs appear to point to Gen Y being the largest group.

I'm just saying that there is a different appeal based upon the image that the cars convey, and that age is almost certainly a factor in that.
Honestly, the average age took a nose dive with the C7 and the demographics sure as hell opened up as well. Now, the C8 is appealing to even younger audiences.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Once C8 prices come back from La-La Land (and they are) - Both of these are dead IMO

The only thing that is keeping the Supra alive is C8 prices got stupid.
I disagree with this. I don't understand how some of you folks keep comparing the C8 to the Supra and Z. The C8 is a whole class above. The C8 is a MID ENGINE sports car. With that comes much higher expenses it terms of outright cost of the car, maintenance, insurance, and repairs. Overall it's less daily driveable as well. On top of that I'm sure the C8 is far less reliable in terms of long term ownership and higher mileage.

Would most people rather have the C8 over the other two? I'm sure most would, including me, but realistically they aren't comparable.

The "$60K starting MSRP" for the C8 was a far cry from what the majority of cars end up costing. And the starting MSRP has since then raised to nearly $65k.

All car prices are falling. As C8 prices fall so will the Supra (and the Z). The Supra and Z will always be more affordable no matter what.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
If you get a Z, will you let your son drive it? :)

Our used BRZ, was kind of a "joint venture", between myself and two sons. I made them each kick in $1500, for some equity ownership, hoping to make them more inclined to take care of it. So far so good (knock on wood). They've driven it all around the country with only a few small dings.
I'll have to see what kind of driving style he has. As far as I can tell, I should have no problem letting him drive it. We want to keep the next generation enthused, right? Pass the torch.....

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I disagree with this. I don't understand how some of you folks keep comparing the C8 to the Supra and Z. The C8 is a whole class above. The C8 is a MID ENGINE sports car. With that comes much higher expenses it terms of outright cost of the car, maintenance, insurance, and repairs. Overall it's less daily driveable as well. On top of that I'm sure the C8 is far less reliable in terms of long term ownership and higher mileage.

Would most people rather have the C8 over the other two? I'm sure most would, including me, but realistically they aren't comparable.

The "$60K starting MSRP" for the C8 was a far cry from what the majority of cars end up costing. And the starting MSRP has since then raised to nearly $65k.

All car prices are falling. As C8 prices fall so will the Supra (and the Z). The Supra and Z will always be more affordable no matter what.
I've seen a few YT videos outlining what maintenance will look like on the C8. Lots of people look at new cars from the perspective of ownership during warranty.
I was shocked to see how advanced and complicated the packaging and design of the new C8 is, it has some very expensive to maintain stuff going on. Not just expensive parts, but accessibility issues too.

I'd be looking at a C7, personally, for long term ownership.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Honestly, the average age took a nose dive with the C7 and the demographics sure as hell opened up as well. Now, the C8 is appealing to even younger audiences.
That seems to be at least an exaggeration - from what I'm seeing, the average age of a Corvette buyer during the middle C7 era was 59. It's hard to locate reliable data on specific models, I'm finding. In any case, I... don't regard 50s as especially "young" šŸ˜‚

Will a New Corvette Appeal to Younger Buyers? - The CarGurus Blog

There's not that much demographic data on the C8, yet, but my understanding is they're definitely getting more attention from Gen X and even Gen Y, which is great for the Corvette's long-term viability. But the average age certainly hasn't been dragged down into the 30s or anything that significant. I just don't know that as many people honestly cross-shop them as we'd think.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer

Those yellow Supras are eye catching. You wonā€™t be disappointed.

-RJM

27FEAE68-1739-4A93-9EA5-C997C23D376F.jpeg