• Total voters

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I agree ^ with the comment above as Its a great point. The Supra lost alot of its Supra Toyota feel with the heavy BMW influence. Lexus makes 6 cyl’s and I wonder why they didnt put the IS350 engine in the Supra? Possibly it wouldnt fit but in my view of it had a lexus engine alot more people would be buyers.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Changed my vote guys. Guess its just between the Challenger and Z now...

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I agree ^ with the comment above as Its a great point. The Supra lost alot of its Supra Toyota feel with the heavy BMW influence. Lexus makes 6 cyl’s and I wonder why they didnt put the IS350 engine in the Supra? Possibly it wouldnt fit but in my view of it had a lexus engine alot more people would be buyers.
This is all just my best guess as to what they were thinking... they wanted to put an I6 in it without developing another one themselves. I'm not sure how enticing a 311 hp NA V6 is these days without adding a turbo or two, and they'd have a whole different group of people in tears had they not gone inline. Either way they probably realized they would have to develop a new 3.0L engine of some sort. The B58 was already there, I6, turbo, and probably hit their power goals/is cheaper than say the S55 or S58.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
This is all just my best guess as to what they were thinking... they wanted to put an I6 in it without developing another one themselves. I'm not sure how enticing a 311 hp NA V6 is these days without adding a turbo or two, and they'd have a whole different group of people in tears had they not gone inline. Either way they probably realized they would have to develop a new 3.0L engine of some sort. The B58 was already there, I6, turbo, and probably hit their power goals/is cheaper than say the S55 or S58.
Yup exactly. It's a great cost cutting approach for Toyota/BMW along with building a relationship to share tech, etc. Toyota can def do that especially as they've already shown it works with the BRZ/GT86 twins. Its a win-win for both companies (Financially), but sucks for the true owners who don't want to bmw their supra. This is coming from someone who has owned/loved/lost the Z and now has an Audi.

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
I believe if people could get over the GTR not being an inline 6 then the Supra could have been V6.

People like to complain at first because it's not exactly what they envisioned the car to be, but eventually compromise or just move along.

I don't think a Supra without boost would have ever been excepted though, even though they've come NA before.

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
Changed my vote guys. Guess its just between the Challenger and Z now...
I'm in the same boat as you narrowed it down to the two. But I've really had my heart set on the new Z ever since it was revealed I just keeping coming back to take another look. I guess what it really is coming down to for me is the price, here's hoping rumors about pricing are true.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I work for a multinational company selling and servicing industrial equipment engineered and manufactured in Japan and also equipment engineered and manufactured in Germany. From my experience both with our equipment and our competitor's equipment, I'll choose Japanese over German made any day of the week.

Gimme a Z!

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
I used to own a '98 BMW 540iA (4.4L V8). It was a painful and sweet experience at the same time.
Sweet because it put a smile on my face everytime I drove it.
Painful because it had so many issues after 4-5 yrs. I got to know all the service advisors by their first names.
Why? Mechanically, that car was very solid. Extensive use of plastics under the hood and all the sensors did not last very long.
Very disappointed in *German Engineering*.
It was a $52K car in 1998 dollars...

Rumors had it that, BMW V8 couldn't meet the US emission standard at that time.
Their quick solution was to raise the operation temp by 10 degree.
Good idea. All plastic parts failed prematurely.
From the records, the cooling system (mostly plastics) got me stranded three times.

For the same reason, I won't even consider a Supra even if I can live with that strange (to me personally) exterior.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I used to own a '98 BMW 540iA (4.4L V8). It was a painful and sweet experience at the same time.
Sweet because it put a smile on my face everytime I drove it.
Painful because it had so many issues after 4-5 yrs. I got to know all the service advisors by their first names.
For a pain-free-BMW experience, either lease it, or even better - own it virtually! I drive them all in Forza Horizon 4 lol...

N_dinunz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Honda Civic Si
Occupation
Product Development Engineer at PRL Motorsports
I joined a couple MkV Supra forums for a project I'm working on, and I've seen a notable amount of posts regarding the performance and value of the Z. I'm pumped to put the new Z through development and smack some Supras

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Yea, it is def a hit-miss with german cars. Agreed best option is def to lease it, I...did not lease mine..lol. So fingers crossed I don't run into any major issues with mine before I part out.

Supra will def be faster (straight line) due to the 8speed, unless it is confirmed that the ZF 9Speed from the pathfinder is 100% making it into the Z. Many MKV buyers bought their cars since they wanted a "supra" and there are no other high power, 2 door Japanese cars left with the "status" of the Supra.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
I was going through the supra site.
Someone said something about the Z not being tunable just like their new 2021 supra.

Can anyone confirm this?