NISMO Z Configuration Poll - What Specs Would You Like to See?

What kind of configuration you would like to see on the new NISMO Z?

• Total voters

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
The only thing I'd like to see beyond upgraded suspension and brakes is a 400 lb weight drop. 400 hp at 3000 lbs would make for a more agile car, lighter on its feet but still plenty fast in a straight line. Unless you are tracking the car additional power is really useless. I've read countless car forum posts from guys who find (after the initial thrill of ownership was waned) that driving high-powered rides on the street becomes boring and frustrating because they can never exploit the power without risking their licenses.
400 HP at 3000 lbs is a Cayman GTS. You're not going to get that for $40k!

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
400 HP at 3000 lbs is a Cayman GTS. You're not going to get that for $40k!
No, you're not - and you're not getting a Nismo Z for anywhere near $40k either.

I'd be willing to pay a few grand extra for lightweighting rather than simply piling on more power, the latter isn't going to improve the Z's dance moves in any way.

bghoward

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
370z
Weight reduction would be nice but the only way for Nissan to do that without major changes to the chassis would be carbon fiber panels. That would push the price too high for the Z. You can get 500hp DCT mid-engined C8 for under $60k (at least in theory). That’s the upper limit $ for the Z. The NISMO would have to be well under that IMHO.

I think if Nissan can keep the ethos of the Z as a budget sports car I think they could have a real winner.

I’d like to see a NISMO for $55k just to drive a stake in the Supra.
  • 500 hp & 400 ft/lbs
  • 2 piece rotors and 6 piston calipers from the GTR (same as the proto z)
  • Wider front and rear wheels
  • Improved aero
  • Magnetic dampers
  • More advanced e-diff
  • 5 mode sport / track settings
Bonus points:

better looking front bumper and a large rear wing, wide body panels.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ Magnetic dampers would be great, but I suspect an e-diff is a bridge too far. Limiting its application to the relatively tiny number of Nismos sold would make the per-unit costs for both development and production too high to be feasible.

Mode settings better be on the Performance (for TC and VSC at least).

Metal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom
Just a quick note for the HP numbers. I've seen people putting torque lower than horsepower, but as long as its the VR30 it will almost assuredly be higher torque than horsepower judging from the dyno thread over at the q50 forum, not that it's a bad thing though.

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
Just a quick note for the HP numbers. I've seen people putting torque lower than horsepower, but as long as its the VR30 it will almost assuredly be higher torque than horsepower judging from the dyno thread over at the q50 forum, not that it's a bad thing though.
You may be right, but the official release from Nissan says 400hp/350tq.

bghoward

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
370z
^ Magnetic dampers would be great, but I suspect an e-diff is a bridge too far. Limiting its application to the relatively tiny number of Nismos sold would make the per-unit costs for both development and production too high to be feasible.

Mode settings better be on the Performance (for TC and VSC at least).
You’re probably right about the software / tuning side of things, I’d be happy with some mode settings other then on/off

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
You may be right, but the official release from Nissan says 400hp/350tq.
Just like the german manufacturers underreport their hp/tq numbers, the VR30 is also underreported. By even a simple intake/exhaust, the dyno's have yield much higher numbers then stock. with jb4, @ 4psi on muffler delete & 91 octane, Q50 Red sport runs 400WHP and 438WTQ...

I'm using SOHO's car as my goal for HP/TQ on this engine; Exhaust + LDP, Heat Exchanger & K&N Drop Ins & EcuTek tune: 436whp/502wtq, with approx 18% drivetrain loss converts to 514Hp/592Tq at the crank. SIGN ME UP

peak this: https://www.infinitiq50.org/threads/official-dyno-results-thread.124379/

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Just like the german manufacturers underreport their hp/tq numbers, the VR30 is also underreported. By even a simple intake/exhaust, the dyno's have yield much higher numbers then stock. with jb4, @ 4psi on muffler delete & 91 octane, Q50 Red sport runs 400WHP and 438WTQ...

I'm using SOHO's car as my goal for HP/TQ on this engine; Exhaust + LDP, Heat Exchanger & K&N Drop Ins & EcuTek tune: 436whp/502wtq, with approx 18% drivetrain loss converts to 514Hp/592Tq at the crank. SIGN ME UP

peak this: https://www.infinitiq50.org/threads/official-dyno-results-thread.124379/
Man, it's gonna be quite a challenge to wait out the warranty when Z1 is a day's drive away from me, lol

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
They are only 1 hr from me ??
4 hours here for Z1. Soho motorsports is in my backyard and they've already let their Supra go in prep for the Z.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Does Nissan has Magnetic dampers? I think this is Chevy/Caddy thing?
Possibly on the GTR?

I don't know if this is true of all the magento- dampers out there but some companies license GM's damper tech, e.g. Ferrari.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Perfect, so see you and @Haste there in 3 years or 36k from delivery, whatever comes first
lol, Depending on what (If anything) has changed from the Q50/Q60 VR30 to the Z's engine, and what Soho and other reputable tuners can eek out performance wise (safely) on this platform, I'll most likely get tuned much in advance of the 36k. I love the mods I currently have on my S4, and that just makes me even more excited to see how much they'll transform the Z. Just have to wait for the Nismo unveil, hopefully in Spring for Summer/Fall deliveries?