DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
Let's remember what Nissan is doing here... for only a little development and manufacturing cost they are offering buyers additional options. And in the spirit of much earlier Zs with rare retro colors inside and out. You have to give them kudos for effort, and it's vitally important to get every single possible customer into the new Z. If the sales of the new Z die down in a year or two to where they are now, the Z is dead forever.
And if you found an early 24/6/80Z with an interior color other than solid black, you really have a rare and desirable option.
Remember that in the JDM market they expect multiple choices and a very high degree of individuality - some of their colors never make it to the North American market. But also remember that Nissan like every manufacturer has certainly performed extensive market research for every single aspect of this car. There is a financial justification and market plan for every color and option.
And I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan offers a "Launch Edition" - as is so popular these days - for a heavily and uniquely optioned 1st delivery, at a fat margin. I'd bet on the pale yellow if this happened.

Last edited:

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry
With all the Hype aside I honestly believe this is gonna be the best Modern Z we'll get

(assuming most of what the Houston guy said is true.)

I keep seeing alot people people saying that the underpinnings is from the 370z and the engine from a Q60 as if that was a bad thing, the 370z was a great car that was just old, and Nissan is doing exactly what I honestly believe they should be doing and that's fixing what was "wrong" with the 370z and that being the obviously old interior and the older outdated engine.

If you've ever driven a Nismo 370z you could never say it's a bad car, people always just say that it just feels underpowered and old inside, those are the two only complaints I've ever heard of the 370z.

Ironically enough I've never owned a Z but many many of my friends have and I've driven all sorts of Z, tried to buy a Z on three separate occasions to no avail, and if this is exactly what I think it is (a modernized 370z) I'm going to love this car, I'll be forced to get rid of the 5.0 for it.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
computer geek
What it looks likes behind the seats.
In other words, identical.
The next remaining question is the rear sitelines... we know the view out the rear side windows is as terrible as before... but is the rear window a little better? It's probably the same on the sides and top, but perhaps the bottom is a bit deeper.
I've had students on track with these who couldn't see anything out the rear sides, and very very little out the rear hatch window because they were short. A mess.
Of course the Z is still better than a Camaro, where you sit deep in a "bathtub". I've had students within a moment of a crash in these on track, unable to understand what's around them (great chassis, lousy everything else).

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
So does anyone know hos the trunk size will be? You would think it would be fairly large being a hatchback, but with that bar in the middle that looks like it doesn't move, may limit it quite a bit. The opening does look bigger than the Supra though. I don't expect a huge trunk like the Challenger has, but at least the size of the Mustang's.

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
computer geek
Look in the back of a 370Z for the answer. Same silver bar, same security shade. The new Z might have a tiny bit more space at the back due to the different placement of the taillights but it's ~98% the same.
Compared to your Mustang, the trunk is much shorter, but the opening is far wider and taller due to the hatch. Remember that this is a 2-seat car (it isn't a 4-seat anywhere in the world, unlike some of the classic Zs), so it's short behind the seats. And there is a considerable structural brace hidden that runs between the shock towers. Furthermore, being designed up front for an IRS rather than a solid axle that has to allow for considerable space to move in it's travel up and down, the floor is very low (unlike the Mustang, which still has it's carryover floor from the previous sold axle chassis).
The silver brace in the 370Z and new Z that you've seen isn't structural at all... zero... it just prevents your "stuff" from moving up against the back of your seat. See below - note the simple attachment points for that. You wouldn't for example, want to run a safety harness around it.
Here's that the 370Z actually looks like under all the plastic and carpet. It's very well-architected and very strong structurally.
Nissan 370Z internal structure .jpg

Last edited:

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Look in the back of a 370Z for the answer. Same silver bar, same security shade. The new Z might have a tiny bit more space at the back due to the different placement of the taillights but it's ~98% the same.
Compared to your Mustang, the trunk is much shorter, but the opening is far wider and taller due to the hatch. Remember that this is a 2-seat car (it isn't a 4-seat anywhere in the world, unlike some of the classic Zs), so it's short behind the seats. And there is a considerable structural brace hidden that runs between the shock towers. Furthermore, being designed up front for an IRS rather than a solid axle that has to allow for considerable space to move in it's travel up and down, the floor is very low (unlike the Mustang, which still has it's carryover floor from the previous sold axle chassis).
The silver brace in the 370Z and new Z that you've seen isn't structural at all... zero... it just prevents your "stuff" from moving up against the back of your seat. See below - note the simple attachment points for that. You wouldn't for example, want to run a safety harness around it.
Here's that the 370Z actually looks like under all the plastic and carpet. It's very well-architected and very strong structurally.
Nissan 370Z internal structure .jpg
Always a pleasure to see other well informed enthusiast speak.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
^ I hope that trunk lid is partially open because that is the crappiest rear sightline I have seen outside of a Lambo lol....

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
I like the blue. I wonder what other colors options we'll have to chose from?