Next Nissan Z Must Be Revolutionary and Repositioned to be Successful

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Nissan head of design, Shiro Nakamura, stated recently that the next generation Nissan Z sports car would be more revolution than evolution and hinted that displacement and power may remain the same or decrease.

He also discussed the repositioning of the Z car not only in terms of price tag but the running costs of owning the vehicle, making reference to the possibility of a four-cylinder turbo option.

As for the rumors of possible IDx-inspired styling? Nakamura stated it is currently not in the plans for the Z car.

Nissan 370Z replacement must be ‘revolutionary’ to survive, says design head

The head of design at Nissan global has revealed that the replacement for the now-six-year old 370Z needs to be “more revolution than evolution” in order to have a future.

Potentially likely to mirror the three-year gap seen between the 300ZX and its 350Z successor, Nissan chief creative officer Shiro Nakamura says the replacement for the 370Z — long speculated to drop the reference to engine displacement and simply be called ‘Z’ — must bring with it significant changes, or it will not survive.

“I mean 350Z, 370Z
 I don’t think the next one is going to be the 390Z,” Nakamura told Australian media during this weekend’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

“It’s not growing because it’s already big enough. You know, 350 started with 240, 300, 350 and [then came] 370.

“I don’t think we should go higher,” Nakamura said while pointing upwards. “Maybe backwards,” he added, pointing down.

“We haven’t yet decided anything about next-generation Zed should be anything larger, or more power. We need to take another path.

“We have GT-R. If you compete with the high performance, we have GT-R. You cannot beat GT-R, so Zed has to be fine it’s own way.”

And unlike his view on the next-gen GT-R, Nakamura says the Zed can’t simply evolve like its bigger four-wheel-drive supercar brother.

“I feel [next-gen] GT-R is more evolution but I feel Zed needs more revolution than evolution.”

Quizzed on the potential of future product being related or inspired by the IDx concept unveiled at the 2013 Tokyo motor show, Nakamura laughed, saying, “Such a nice car. But at the moment, no IDx” – echoing recent reports to the same effect.

“IDx [has so much support] but financial decision is a different story
 but that could be a next-generation Zed – [it’s] one of the options.”

Asked if an entry-level Toyota 86-type rival – one more affordable than the $60K 370Z – is something Nissan is considering, Nakamura suggested the Zed’s current role is as a more affordable option for enthusiasts.

“I don’t think we’d have three cars. Because we already have two sports cars – that should be more than enough, more than many.

“I think GT-R has to stay most high performance symbol of Nissan technology and Zed is [below it] to be more affordable sports car or sporty car to get the younger people [interested].”

After being informed of the naturally aspirated six-cylinder 370Z’s circa-$60,000 retail price in Australia, Nakamura was taken aback, saying, “That’s too expensive!”

“That’s very, very expensive. Therefore we have to make a revolution: repositioning. Reposition the Zed, otherwise I don’t think that we have a future with that kind of, you know, [package]. $60,000 and a 3.7-litre engine – it’s very, very expensive.

“And I think it’s not only price but also running costs with that that kind of a car,” Nakamura said before suggesting that Nissan is not wholly tied to six-cylinder-powered Zed cars, with a turbocharged four-cylinder most definitely a future option.

Attempting to spruik some of Nissan’s more affordable entry-level Nismo cars, Nakamura gets another shock learning that none of the performance division’s models are sold in Australia, with the sub-brand still yet to launch locally.

“None yet [in Australia]?,” the senior Nissan executive asked. “Why not? No GT-R Nismo? No Zed Nismo? We even have the Nismo March/Micra in Japan. We have such a nice range of Nismo
”

In markets such as Japan and the UK, punters keen for some sporting flavour below the 441kW/652Nm GT-R Nismo can choose from the likes of the Micra/March, Note and Sentra (known locally as Pulsar) Nismos as well as Nismo versions of the Juke and 370Z.

“Nismo is sort of a core, or heart of Nissan. We want to have Nismo everywhere,” he said.

Nissan Australia is due to make an announcement about the launch of Nismo by the end of this year.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/359921/revolutionary-next-nissan-z-to-be-smaller-and-more-affordable/

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
More comments from Nakamura, suggesting the next Z could be closer to the original 240Z.

The current Nissan 370Z is six years old, meaning a replacement is on the horizon. But what will the next Z car be? In an interview at last weekend's 24 Hours of Le Mans, Nissan Chief Creative Office Shiro Nakamura revealed that one idea for the next-generation Z could see it move down market, closer to the original 240Z or the 1999 Concept Z.

"We would like to do something ... more practical and appealing to younger customers." – Shiro Nakamura

"We are studying a couple of different concepts. Because the sports car market is becoming smaller globally," said Nakamura, "We would like to do something, I personally think, is more [in the] original concept of Z, which is ... more practical and appealing to younger customers." The original 1969 240Z, sold under the Datsun nameplate, became an icon thanks to a combination of attractive styling, reasonable performance, and affordable price. In 1970, a new 240Z went for less than $3,600 at the dealer, although high demand resulted in early resale values above retail.

In the US, the 240Z begat the 280Z in 1975. Subsequent versions grew in numerical name and performance, but that trend has an end point. The future path may be to reverse course, jokes Nakamura. "We are questioning ourselves in repeating the 350, 370. We don't want to create 390Z, right?"

While Nissan is working on the next Z, the bad news is that the IDx is confirmed dead. First shown at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show, the IDx concept was a vision of an affordable, four-seat sports car like original Nissan/Datsun 510. "I think IDx will not be produced," said Nakamura, before continuing to say that the Z could fill that role.

Don't expect a Mazda MX-5 Miata or Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S clone. When asked specifically about the MX-5, the Nissan designer stated "We may not necessarily go into the same category. Personally I see other options that are very interesting. We want to do something the same as this, unique," he said, referencing a picture of the GTR-LM racecar on the wall.

As for timing, we couldn't get any specifics. And the chances of the Z moving down market aren't even certain. "We still need time to finalize this," said the Nissan chief designer, "I mean, we have a couple of ideas."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/17/next-nissan-z-more-like-original-240z/

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
simple formula to keep the Z alive.

more power. less weight.

everyone I know and have talked to is pretty much in the same boat. if the Z goes to less power and falls in line with the BRZ/FRS range of cars we're all moving on and away from the Z. it's a sad day and hopefully it's not true. I really hope the power plant choice rumors change back to a TT V6 engine going in the car. even though they say "don't expect a clone" but a cheap Z with a 4 banger making low power is a clone of the BRZ/FRS/Miata. I bought a Z because it wasn't any of those cars.

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO

more power. less weight.

everyone I know and have talked to is pretty much in the same boat. if the Z goes to less power and falls in line with the BRZ/FRS range of cars we're all moving on and away from the Z. it's a sad day and hopefully it's not true. I really hope the power plant choice rumors change back to a TT V6 engine going in the car. even though they say "don't expect a clone" but a cheap Z with a 4 banger making low power is a clone of the BRZ/FRS/Miata. I bought a Z because it wasn't any of those cars.
More power + less weight is every manufacturer's dream formula. But few are able to achieve that without jacking up the price :(

I'm really hoping that they just go forced induction too instead of downsizing to a 4 cylinder. Sorry if I offend any 4 cylinder engined car owners but it's simply too wimpy a powerplant for a modern day Z car. I also hope we don't go down to the level of the 86 cars. Sales of those cars are not strong anyway so why try to compete for such a small pie to begin with.

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
More power + less weight is every manufacturer's dream formula. But few are able to achieve that without jacking up the price :(
Sounds like we're already starting to see a carbon fiber revolution. Once costs for producing it drops, more companies will be able to use to make their cars lighter, which equals more performance without actually having to increase power.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE

I'm really hoping that they just go forced induction too instead of downsizing to a 4 cylinder. Sorry if I offend any 4 cylinder engined car owners but it's simply too wimpy a powerplant for a modern day Z car. I also hope we don't go down to the level of the 86 cars. Sales of those cars are not strong anyway so why try to compete for such a small pie to begin with.
a 4 cyl can make power. will it in a production car from factory? no. one semi-good example of it would be the focus RS whatever it is coming with 315HP which is still 17HP below the current Z. possibly even the mustang ecoboost pumping 310hp/320tq out of the 2.3L 4 banger turbo. its possible.

however, the Z community has said it time and time again the car has always had a 6cyl either in an inline or V form since day 1. the faithful will be crushed.

I just want 400hp+ and a beefier AT tranny. I want a good looking Z. I want to smack pony cars around lol

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
This could be the last 6 cylinder Z generation we see me thinks.

Kamikazee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1973 Datsun 240Z, 1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin-Turbo

more power. less weight.

You've got to be kidding guys. Continuing to add more power and take away weight is simply unrealistic, and does NOT make for a better driving experience automatically.

I for one, would LOVE to see the Z return to its roots as a lighter, smaller, more affordable 2-seater sports car in the same vein as the original S30. It needs to focus on driver feel and responsiveness, and a great performance to dollar value. More power does not equal better driving. You have to learn how to do more with less.

You do realize that the BRZ/FRS/Miata you're putting down are some of the best handling, most highly reviewed, and most enthusiast loved sports cars out right now for sheer driving enjoyment, including reviews by professional race car drivers, don't you? Its because they're doing it RIGHT. Lightweight, small, agile, responsive, affordable, and FUN. This is the same formula that made the original S30 Z cars such a success. I happen to own a 240Z, and I love it.

Think about other popular affordable sports cars of generations past... MGB, Triumph TR6, Porsche 914, and lots more similar. Over the years, we've gotten away from the great handling affordable lightweight sports car and turned them into bloated overweight overpowered dragsters. Sports car =/= Muscle car. The Z has always been a sports car. It is time for a return to the Z's roots, and true sports car roots.

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Less weight = more power. It will feel like it at least and that is what will matter to most. All the rhetoric is pointing to a smaller more back to its roots design and I am all for that. Instead of competing with pony cars that have become bloated over the years and required ever increasing horsepower to keep up, it should buck the trend and focus more on driving dynamics, handling and feel.

Ultima

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
You've got to be kidding guys. Continuing to add more power and take away weight is simply unrealistic, and does NOT make for a better driving experience automatically.

I for one, would LOVE to see the Z return to its roots as a lighter, smaller, more affordable 2-seater sports car in the same vein as the original S30. It needs to focus on driver feel and responsiveness, and a great performance to dollar value. More power does not equal better driving. You have to learn how to do more with less.

You do realize that the BRZ/FRS/Miata you're putting down are some of the best handling, most highly reviewed, and most enthusiast loved sports cars out right now for sheer driving enjoyment, including reviews by professional race car drivers, don't you? Its because they're doing it RIGHT. Lightweight, small, agile, responsive, affordable, and FUN. This is the same formula that made the original S30 Z cars such a success. I happen to own a 240Z, and I love it.

Think about other popular affordable sports cars of generations past... MGB, Triumph TR6, Porsche 914, and lots more similar. Over the years, we've gotten away from the great handling affordable lightweight sports car and turned them into bloated overweight overpowered dragsters. Sports car =/= Muscle car. The Z has always been a sports car. It is time for a return to the Z's roots, and true sports car roots.
I agree with almost everything you wrote but we also have to be realistic in our expectations for weight loss. Lots of manufacturers discuss shedding weight in their sports cars (even muscle cars like Mustang and Camaro) and few have made good on that promise. I don't blame them - the amount of safety requirements and nanny systems that have to go into cars these days makes it nearly impossible. A lot of us old enough to remember long for these cars to 'return to their roots' but that was 30 years ago when people were smaller, cars were less powerful AND less safe. The only way would be to drmatically change the dimensions which won't happen unless you want the Z to go to a true 2 seater or to use some expensive materials which is simply not realistic for a car that sells in such miniscule volume. The problem is this: as engineers find ways to take pounds out of the car, it gets added right back in (and then some) with bigger engines, bigger brakes, bigger tires, and stronger (often heavier) materials to keep them safe. This happened with the C7 and Mustang to name a few recent examples.