Next Nissan Z Could Be Simply Called "Z"

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
It just needs a Z in the name. The numbers after it (or if it stands alone) doesn't matter as it will be associated with this car's long history.

Funny here we are talking about badging and names and there really hasn't been any indication they are for sure coming out with a new one.

Broggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
De Vries tosses out an interesting suggestion:

"In my opinion the displacement as part of the product name is a bit behind us. [So] Naming might also change, in the past when we all grow up, the bigger the engine the more expensive the car, the faster it would be. Everybody has left that, because it's not about displacement of the engine, it's about what the engine could do."

"We [will] definitely keep the Z name, but when we did 350 to 370 it was because of the capacity, but who says the next-generation doesn't have three engines and its not just called Z?"
You know.. company reps are usually extremely careful with their words cuz they know that anything they say can be quoted and dissected. For him to say this, may really be a direct hint that's what's going to happen.

sun tzu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Mustang GT
You know.. company reps are usually extremely careful with their words cuz they know that anything they say can be quoted and dissected. For him to say this, may really be a direct hint that's what's going to happen.
x2

This was no low level rep either. De Vries is Nissan's corporate vice president and global head of marketing and brand strategy. What he says carries weight.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
While we wait ... and wait ... for any bit of news from Nissan about the next Z, which is what I've resigned to call, what do you all think it will be called?

Seems unlikely it will be badged 300Z in keeping with the current naming convention. Is Z35 looking more likely?

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
No reason it can't be badged 300Z. That's my guess. There's no history of it getting the platform codename other than how enthusiasts refer to it.

-=Godzilla=-

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT-R
If it gets the twin turbo 3 liter, I bet it's called the 300Z. To call it by any other # would be weird. And this way they can draw upon a past legend for marketing purposes too.

Ultima

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
Why not just call it the Z from now on? Avoids numbering issues for all future generations too.
On a purely practical note the "Z" is too short and too hard to search for (online). I'm sure they take that into account when naming vehicles. It will also be really confusing since technically all the previous ones could be referred to as the Z also.

300Z gets my vote.

-=Godzilla=-

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT-R
On a purely practical note the "Z" is too short and too hard to search for (online). I'm sure they take that into account when naming vehicles. It will also be really confusing since technically all the previous ones could be referred to as the Z also.

300Z gets my vote.
I doubt Nissan is thinking internet search terms when naming their cars? But I agree no reason to change the naming convention based on engine displacement, especially since they might be able to "reboot" the iconic 300Z name for the next model.

Ultima

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
I doubt Nissan is thinking internet search terms when naming their cars? But I agree no reason to change the naming convention based on engine displacement, especially since they might be able to "reboot" the iconic 300Z name for the next model.
I don't mean Nissan is thinking internet search terms but it's all part of marketing strategy. The Nissan Z is shorthand for all of the Z cars to date. It's confusing to use it going forward for an actual model when it should be billed as being new and distinct.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
I don't mean Nissan is thinking internet search terms but it's all part of marketing strategy. The Nissan Z is shorthand for all of the Z cars to date. It's confusing to use it going forward for an actual model when it should be billed as being new and distinct.
I'm just glad it's not called and shaped like the GRIPS! :)

UnknownZ35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 sport/altima S

300Z gets my vote.

You can easily just write out "Nissan Z" in the model subsection of an online search.