Next Generation Z to feature IDx Design Elements

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
As you may have read, Nissan recently made public statements suggesting it may pull back the reins on more radical product offerings such as the Nissan IDx concept which debuted at the 2013 Tokyo Auto Show and focus more on tried-and-true vehicles in its line up such as the Z sports car and the GT-R.

However, according to insider sources, the Nissan IDx concept will live on in part as several design elements will be featured in the next-generation Z car.

A lot can change in a year, especially in the auto industry it would seem. Not long ago, senior Nissan and Infiniti execs were touting some pretty radical performance offerings but now it looks like the cars are all off the table.

In the Nissan camp, there were plans for an electric sports car based on the delta-shaped BladeGlider concept car as well as a potential Scion FR-S rival previewed by the well-received IDx Freeflow and IDx NISMO concepts.

Over at Infiniti, we were close to seeing the automaker finally launch the equivalent of a GT-R sedan in the form of the Q50 Eau Rouge, which featured the GT-R’s 560-horsepower powerplant and an all-wheel drive system. The car was even being worked on by four-time Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel.

Well, Vettel is now driving for Ferrari and other key backers of the cars mentioned above are also at new companies. Nissan lost its product chief Andy Palmer to Aston Martin, and Infiniti lost its chief Johan de Nysschen to Cadillac.

Automotive News (subscription required) is now reporting that both Nissan and Infiniti will focus on more volume models in an effort to boost market share. This is particularly true for Infiniti, which is still in the early stages of growing its brand in global markets.

Michael Bartsch, Infiniti’s U.S. chief, said no final decision had been reached on the Q50 Eau Rouge but conceded that Infiniti had more pressing concerns, such as rebuilding its portfolio with strong core products. These include the next-generation Q60 as well as new entry-level models like the Q30 and QX30 and a proper flagship based on the Q80 Inspiration concept.

While for Nissan, the production BladeGlider was always going to be a moonshot, the production IDx did seem plausible. The good news is that a car like one of the IDx concepts is not completely dead. We’re hearing that Nissan will incorporate elements of the IDx for its next-generation Z sports car, repositioning it as a more basic sports offering and leaving the GT-R to sit in the powerful grand touring segment.

NSFW!

Threads
Reaction score
That's good news. I kinda liked the IDX concept but was wondering how the hell Nissan was gonna sell both the IDX and the next Z sports car. Seems these segments already have a limited potential group of owners to begin with. Would have canniabilized each others sales potentially.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
The good news is that a car like one of the IDx concepts is not completely dead. We’re hearing that Nissan will incorporate elements of the IDx for its next-generation Z sports car, repositioning it as a more basic sports offering and leaving the GT-R to sit in the powerful grand touring segment.
"More basic sports offering" hooooray! That's what Ive been crossing my fingers for.

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
"More basic sports offering" hooooray! That's what Ive been crossing my fingers for.
It should receive a price tag of a basic sports car too. Really glad to see this move by Nissan. Makes more sense than making both the IDX and Z at same time.

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
At least they haven't said they're also abandoning the Z and just having the GT-R in the lineup, or it'd start to look like the company was going the way of Toyota and Honda, companies which used to have great sports car lineups but all but abandoned them to make mass selling appliances on wheels.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
At least they haven't said they're also abandoning the Z and just having the GT-R in the lineup, or it'd start to look like the company was going the way of Toyota and Honda, companies which used to have great sports car lineups but all but abandoned them to make mass selling appliances on wheels.
I'm not liking this news nor the direction Nissan seems to be going but if they can come out with a kickass Z that's a true driver's car then I think their 2 sports car line up could work well. You'd have the Z which is an entry level sports car for the first time or young car enthusiasts, and then the GT-R for them to upgrade to years down the line when they have a career and successful financially.

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
I'm not liking this news nor the direction Nissan seems to be going but if they can come out with a kickass Z that's a true driver's car then I think their 2 sports car line up could work well. You'd have the Z which is an entry level sports car for the first time or young car enthusiasts, and then the GT-R for them to upgrade to years down the line when they have a career and successful financially.
Maybe they will be taking the Z down market? Not sub 20K but more entry level around 25-30K sports car? I think they need to start competing more on price with all of the offerings out there.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
Maybe they will be taking the Z down market? Not sub 20K but more entry level around 25-30K sports car? I think they need to start competing more on price with all of the offerings out there.
By all the rumors surrounding the Z35 that's what it sounds like they'll be doing -- not only making it smaller but also a more basic entry level compared to the 370z.

Dantes

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
The GT-R is more supercar than grand touring car IMO.

Anyhow this rumor confuses me. The IDX design works due to it being a homage to the Datsun 510's three box design. It's a cool retro look but it sucks for aerodynamics. Also can't see the Z looking ANYTHING like that. Even if it went retro it would look more like the 240Z which was pretty sleek for its day.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
The GT-R is more supercar than grand touring car IMO.

Anyhow this rumor confuses me. The IDX design works due to it being a homage to the Datsun 510's three box design. It's a cool retro look but it sucks for aerodynamics. Also can't see the Z looking ANYTHING like that. Even if it went retro it would look more like the 240Z which was pretty sleek for its day.
The IDx was not designed for performance that is for sure. But I believe with a few changes it can be made to look sportier, sleek and more race inspired. Any photoshoppers wanna give it a try? :)

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
Hopefully what they incorporate from the idx is the size and weight. We could really use a slimmed down and nimbler Z car. It likely wont be competing on power but it can still be a corner carver.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
IDX was kinda an ugly duckling IMO. I get that it was a throwback styling but the Z has been a modern forward looking design which is what I hope the Z35 is like.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
And now there are the rumors that a RWD nissan coupe will be shown at Tokyo (from this thread) but it sure doesn't look Z related based on the render. If it does turn out to be the Z35 maybe all this confusion IS because it borrows the IDx styling. I hope they nixed that project and focus on the Z.

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
And now there are the rumors that a RWD nissan coupe will be shown at Tokyo (from this thread) but it sure doesn't look Z related based on the render. If it does turn out to be the Z35 maybe all this confusion IS because it borrows the IDx styling. I hope they nixed that project and focus on the Z.
Only one outlet reporting on it and based on a questionable source to begin with. I really wish the rumor was about the Z35 instead. There's been a drought for any news!

Maybe we'll see some Z news when we get closer to Tokyo show in the Fall? Maybe a concept of some kind debuting.. hopefully.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I can't imagine them going retro with tthe Z at this stage. Cars, even ones with a ton of heritage are going ultra modern these days. Even the stuck-in-their-ways muscle cars are looking super European sleek now. Not sure Nissan should go against the current trend.