First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i think nissan is still working out the kinks and that is why they are being so secretive about the weight. i'm sure they are trying to find ways to shed some pounds.

reminds me of the story toyota tells of making the carpet fibers hollow on the mkiv supras in order to save weight :D

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
i think nissan is still working out the kinks and that is why they are being so secretive about the weight. i'm sure they are trying to find ways to shed some pounds.

reminds me of the story toyota tells of making the carpet fibers hollow on the mkiv supras in order to save weight :D
I'd love to believe that but I have read enough posts by industry insiders elsewhere to very much doubt it, by this stage in the game virtually everything is finalized about the production spec, and production contracts with suppliers and sub-assemblers set due to the lead times they need to ramp up. Nissan is just being coy on this because the inevitable added weight is nothing to boast about and they don't want it spoiling the PR party. It's not as if they are the only manufacturer to hold this information back until production starts, it was the same for the twins recently.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I'd love to believe that but I have read enough posts by industry insiders elsewhere to very much doubt it, by this stage in the game virtually everything is finalized about the production spec, and production contracts with suppliers and sub-assemblers set due to the lead times they need to ramp up. Nissan is just being coy on this because the inevitable added weight is nothing to boast about and they don't want it spoiling the PR party. It's not as if they are the only manufacturer to hold this information back until production starts, it was the same for the twins recently.
i'm sure for the most part that is true, but they still have test mules out there they are monitoring and gathering data from before full production starts. to say parts can't change or some things removed or lighter materials used, is still too early.

i'm of the opinion it's gonna be heavier than we would like especially with 200 lbs of safety sensors wiring and related stuff added to meet regulations.

i'm hoping they end up tuning it to over 400hp to counter the extra baggage. if the target car was indeed the zupr4, it's gotta be nearly as fast, if not faster.

of course they could come back to say the z is faster than the 2.0, gr86, brz and almost as fast as the 3.0, but it's cheaper.

i, like many here hope it's slightly faster...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
i'm of the opinion it's gonna be heavier than we would like especially with 200 lbs of safety sensors wiring and related stuff added to meet regulations.

i'm hoping they end up tuning it to over 400hp to counter the extra baggage. if the target car was indeed the zupr4, it's gotta be nearly as fast, if not faster.
What source says that plastic sensors and wiring weighs 200 pounds?

It's already been released, 400HP. They're not going to change that for MY23

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Say they released the weights. Say a Sport was 3489 pounds. But let's say enough people bitched and moaned that the Sport has an open diff and no spare tire (BTW, Dan Passe did say people are being VERY vocal about the open diff, we may very well see Sports with LSD, this is a spec they can change no prob before they end up on showroom floors) so Nissan goes and adds LSD and a spare tire to the car. Then the actual curb weight is now 3562 pounds. People would flip their lids and start bitching about that.
They are probably, at this point, open to possibly offering an LSD, determining if the car needs another 5 pounds of sound deadening (by way of changing material, not changing design), etc.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I doubt it will weigh 3500+. As times goes on I'm less and less concerned about the weight. Price and mt are the biggest selling points for me, but if new C8s aren't problematic within two years I'm likely getting the C8.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
How much estim weight are we saving if a) both power seats are delete options on the Performance, or b) the passenger seat only is manually adjusted?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
How much estim weight are we saving if a) both power seats are delete options on the Performance, or b) the passenger seat only is manually adjusted?
No more than 25 pounds per seat.
And if Nissan were to offer PS delete options (which they won't) the wiring harness for the PS would remain in the car.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Seats and aftermarket exhaust will probably reduce weight betw 50-75 lbs, the Rays are light but I doubt under 20 lbs, those can be improved too. Hood, roof, doors are alum so those are set, I don't care for CF in those areas. Coilovers could also reduce some more.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
never heard anyone talk about it, but has there been any mention of weight dusribution?

wonder how it will compare to the 350 & 370 since its a tweaked/updraded version of that chassis.

Last edited:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
My GT350 weighs about 3800 lbs, but in some ways feels more nimble than my 350Z, which was closer to 3300. If the new Z can be around 3500, but better balanced with more responsive inputs I think it could still be a great experience.

One thing I can definitely notice in the Mustang is the width and length. I love having the interior space for my kids and even an adult in a (literal) pinch, but would also like to get back into a 2-seater that is a bit narrower and shorter.

Hopefully the Z will come in around 3500 lbs.

-T

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
never heard anyone talk about it, but has there been any mention of weight dusribution?

wonder how it will compare to the 350 & 370 since its a tweaked/updraded version of that chassis.
At least the battery is on the passenger side and further back enough towards the firewall. Will have to see when I cornerweight this Z.