Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
I know it's been brought up awhile ago that the rumor is the new Z will be using the 9G-tronic auto trans from Mercedes. I was quite skeptical of this rumor for a few reasons:
1. It is leaked "inside info" that came from someone on the internet
2. Nissan hasn't confirmed or hinted at it
3. It would seem to make more financial and technological sense to use the current 7-speed, or so I thought

However, after doing some of my own due diligence on the internet I've come across a few things that I thought were interesting to share:

1. If you check the wiki page for the 9-speed here you can see "2022- Nissan Z" listed as one of the cars.
- Now of course this is wiki and anyone can edit it, but interesting.

2. Daimler, who have a partnership with Nissan since 2010 I believe, gave Nissan the license to manufacture their 9-speed transmission. This was transferred to Jatco who make the transmissions for Nissan. Read here for the official press brief:
https://www.alliance-2022.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/89933.pdf
See point 5 and take note of:
- "The transmissions will be manufactured in Japan by Nissan’s subsidiary Jatco starting in 2018 and will feature "start and stop" and "park and shift by wire” technologies."
- "Strategic goals: Reduced development costs. Faster market readiness for Nissan"

3. On Jatco's website page for the 9-speed, here, it is noted:
- "The overall length of the gearbox is the same as that of our conventional 7-speed automatic transmission for FR vehicles, and it is easy to mount. In addition, magnesium is used for the transmission case, making it lightweight and compact."

Now, seeing all this info, I do believe they will be using the 9-speed. If it costs less to develop, gearbox measures the same as the 7-speed, and mounts easily, it only makes sense to use the 9-speed. It is also "lightweight and compact", in other words perfect for a sports car.

Long post, but share your thoughts or anything else you find.

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
Magnesium is an interesting choice. I remember when I was in high school there was a Corvette that caught fire on my way to school. It had magnesium wheels. When they caught fire it was like looking at the sun, and it exploded a bit when the fire dept. put water on it. I know you never want your car to catch fire, but it's a way bigger deal when there is a chunk of magnesium right beside you.

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
It will be the 9 speed. When the proto was first unveiled Nissan stated that the AT was is development. If they were going to just use the 7 then they would have said that in the beginning. Nismo is tweaking the 9 for the new Z. Which is why it was in development.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
I’ve always driven manuals but I’ve made a deal with the wife to get the auto.. this 9 spd seems solid on paper. And since the last auto I drove was a 15 year old car this one will probably feel incredible. I know it’s no DCT but as long as the shifts are crisp and it can handle added power I’m in.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i do have a question...
if they use this auto trans or another, will it have paddle shifters like the gtr?

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
The 370 early models all had paddles but, at some point, they removed them on non-sport models. May do the same with the new car.
Idk the quality or how similar, but yes!

IMG_3533.JPG

ahhh...interesting
i can see the paddles in the pic...hope they are solid and not all plasticy feeling.
so another possibility is the base model could be a regular auto and the higher trims have the paddle shifters.
man, the 17th can't get here soon enough to answer all our questions....

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I just bought an 18 Nissan Titan, would it have this transmission?