Hmm, about the VR30DDTT......

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I'm at the Infiniti dealership getting my Q60 serviced right now, and there's a Q50 on the lift with its engine removed. Turbos pulled off. Service rep says it's common issue on this engine. And, as we already know, an engine-out affair.

Gonna start waffling about the new Z.
Wow you see one car on a lift and that makes you waffle on buying a new Z?

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It's a known issue. I have heard about it many times.

The ONE time I go back into the service garage...there it is, confirmation of what I've heard (didn't want to believe) sitting in 50 pieces in the bay.

And you come off pretty rude....

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
It's a pretty legit concern when it was a common issue with the same engine.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
I heard the Q50 turbo charge system do not have any BOV/diverter valve or way to vent the excess pressure when you let off the gas. I wonder if it has worn bearing from the STUTUTUTUTU flutter sound.
This is the issue.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
This issue is addressed with a hardware revision on the turbochargers on the red sport models beginning in MY2019.

What I haven't confirmed is a rumored second hardware revision for MY2021. I'm going to dig into that.

Dan Passe's comment regarding the Z getting a recirculation setup in some form completely alleviates any concerns I have about its setup repeating any of the issues we have seen with the earlier versions of the VR30.

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This issue is addressed with a hardware revision on the turbochargers on the red sport models beginning in MY2019.

What I haven't confirmed is a rumored second hardware revision for MY2021. I'm going to dig into that.

Dan Passe's comment regarding the Z getting a recirculation setup in some form completely alleviates any concerns I have about its setup repeating any of the issues we have seen with the earlier versions of the VR30.
I thought the bypass/recirc setup was only for the 6MT model.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Re
Recirc is badass. The quicker boost recharge keeps it in the gears longer. If it's not included, should be an easy enough mod, no?

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
He didn't specify if it was exclusive to a transmission choice, so I don't know.

From an engineering standpoint, I do not see a reason why transmission choice would impact a decision to include that.

As far as whether or not it can work in an automatic, there is an aftermarket solution on the market from HKS that Concept Z Performance sells for the Infiniti cars.

OP
OP
takemorepills

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
From an engineering standpoint, I do not see a reason why transmission choice would impact a decision to include that.
From an engineering standpoint, a modern DBW turbo vehicle with an automatic transmission doesn't generally NEED recirculation because the ECU/TCM can manage those conditions automatically to prevent most issues.... the ECU has full control over throttle opening and 99% control over transmission gear whereas in the MT car it has 0% control over transmission state and therefore you need a recirc valve.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 9AT VR30DDTT doesn't have recirc, because that affects emissions certification and if Nissan leaves that as-is they only need to certify the 6MT.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
We’ll see how the manual handles this feature when I get my hands on one, makes good sense @takemorepills

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
From an engineering standpoint, a modern DBW turbo vehicle with an automatic transmission doesn't generally NEED recirculation because the ECU/TCM can manage those conditions automatically to prevent most issues.... the ECU has full control over throttle opening and 99% control over transmission gear whereas in the MT car it has 0% control over transmission state and therefore you need a recirc valve.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 9AT VR30DDTT doesn't have recirc, because that affects emissions certification and if Nissan leaves that as-is they only need to certify the 6MT.
Great point. I was looking at it more from the business case perspective in that it's more expensive to offer two different configurations, but probably not a big deal when you're accounting for two transmission choices. I'm overthinking it.