Hands Up all the Aussies

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Further to ceramic coating….I’ve not done my car, on the advise of our friend who is a qualified panel beater
He said, if it’s being garaged, a normal good wash and polish every six months is all that’s needed, and that any coating makes repairs harder.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Hi everyone,

Thought you all might be interested in what the dealer had to say this morning. (2 more weeks)

My most recent expected delivery was mid May, updated from end of April which was guestimated in March. As of this morning, My Z is at Port Kembla, having arrived 2 days ago. It should be complied and delivered to Sydney in about 2 weeks.

They took my deposit in september 2021. I didn't ask about delays or expectations for delivery of other Zs, just mine.

Wish me luck.
Do wish you luck, and it sounds very promising

I’m really happy for you, just still annoys me that those who ordered so much earlier are still waiting. Had I waited I have no doubt that my car would have been on the ship due into Perth, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles, and I can’t say I’m disappointed at this point.

You obviously have far more patients than me

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Further to ceramic coating….I’ve not done my car, on the advise of our friend who is a qualified panel beater
He said, if it’s being garaged, a normal good wash and polish every six months is all that’s needed, and that any coating makes repairs harder.
Professional ceramic coating is out for me due to cost. I've tried some spray on "hybrid" ceramic coatings, but got a lot of streaking, the surface of my red car looked horrible depending on angle of light shining. I spent a lot of time trying to get rid of the streaking, ended up wiping down with a damp rag. Overall the paint surface did not end up feeling all that slick or protected.

So last week I went old school approach, picked up some paste wax called Collinite No. 476s. (Wipe on, wait for haze, and wipe/buff out.) More time consuming but no weird streaking. Tried it on my wheels - looks great. Yesterday evening tested it on the top of my BRZ, will see today how well it looks in bright light and water beading.

Is anyone still using paste waxes these days?

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Professional ceramic coating is out for me due to cost. I've tried some spray on "hybrid" ceramic coatings, but got a lot of streaking, the surface of my red car looked horrible depending on angle of light shining. I spent a lot of time trying to get rid of the streaking, ended up wiping down with a damp rag. Overall the paint surface did not end up feeling all that slick or protected.

So last week I went old school approach, picked up some paste wax called Collinite No. 476s. (Wipe on, wait for haze, and wipe/buff out.) More time consuming but no weird streaking. Tried it on my wheels - looks great. Yesterday evening tested it on the top of my BRZ, will see today how well it looks in bright light and water beading.

Is anyone still using paste waxes these days?
I do…but of old fashioned elbow grease. Looks great

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISMO Z
I do…but of old fashioned elbow grease. Looks great
Agree. Good old wax and elbow grease. Making sure to switch cloths often.

Then I use a quick detail spray in between from White Diamond. Says it now has ceramic in it, so probably helps with water bead??? However it never streaks.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
It's black, so a ceramic coating or full PPF wrap is definitely happening. Wrapping the car is super expensive, but I do like the idea of being protected from any scratches and chips for a decade or more.

Having said that the car will be always garaged and covered and only taken out in fair weather, perhaps its overkill to wrap the whole thing. Apart from the exorbitant cost (especially if you get the highest quality stuff) are there any downsides to a full PPF wrap?

Seems like a win in every way except for the coin

nuthed01

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Golf R Grid, 2023 Nissan Z (pending)
Occupation
Transport Manager
My cars on it's way. I was planning to enjoy short term before moving it on but as GeelongCats' Z isn't selling easily I'm tempted just to cancel. I do wonder if the demand has fizzled.
Potentially, i mean they could also be facing the backlash of what you're reading in here as well. Not that it's front page news exactly, but word is out that people are getting fucked around by Nissan, not just with the Z's but their 4wd's too.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
For most cars, and most people, I'd tend to agree.
However...

The black roof and rear light bar on these things is VERY susceptible to fine hailine scratches that show up very clearly in the sun. It takes almost nothing for a light spec of dust to cause a scratch if someone inadvertently touches/wipes the gloss black areas.

The best thing to prevent this is PPF, but I get that it's not exactly budget friendly. A good, hard, ceramic coating is the second best option. Won't necessarily stop the scratching (I'll be clear about that) but it does stop some of those dust specs sticking to the surface which ultimately cause the scratch.

Regular polish with help, but most people (despite intentions) simply don't polish regularly, or well...
Repairs really aren't an issue - you just need to let the repairer know the coating is there (most of them can tell just by looking). It needs to be surface prepped before painting (blending) or the paint doesn't set right (it kinda runs).
This can be as simple as wiping it down with a light stripping agent like acetone. Takes seconds.

I'm not a beater, but have done a lot of ceramic coating, PPF and panel painting - including repainting the rear bar of my new Z (which is coated).

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
All quiet out there, anyone still waiting for a car had any updates?