(Hagerty) How fast is the new $50k Nissan Z? — New Z vs Supra vs Mustang Mach-1

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The only reviewer who can tell me how enjoyable the car is/will be is me.
Whilst I understand your logic here, the thing I’m not getting is that before the price everyone couldn’t wait for the reviews…so excited
There are now plenty of reviews out, and the only one you guys are latching onto is the one bad one out of the tens or twenties of good ones….all because it’s 4.5k more that what you expected
So before the price you were willing to trust the reviews….now they must be all in it for themselves
Come on guys, that’s just silly

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
Whilst I understand your logic here, the thing I’m not getting is that before the price everyone couldn’t wait for the reviews…so excited
There are now plenty of reviews out, and the only one you guys are latching onto is the one bad one out of the tens or twenties of good ones….all because it’s 4.5k more that what you expected
So before the price you were willing to trust the reviews….now they must be all in it for themselves
Come on guys, that’s just silly
Oh I'm just replying to this thread because it was a busy thread and one of the first ones I saw on the 'versus'.

I can't reply for everyone else, but my position has always been - no test drive, no buy. Reviews are a fun to watch, but holy shit I wouldn't drop $60k on someone else's opinion.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Oh I'm just replying to this thread because it was a busy thread and one of the first ones I saw on the 'versus'.

I can't reply for everyone else, but my position has always been - no test drive, no buy. Reviews are a fun to watch, but holy shit I wouldn't drop $60k on someone else's opinion.
This I completely understand

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Base $41K Z vs. Base $44K Supra.....
But do you think an average customer without connections, will actually be able to buy a Z for 41k this year? How about in 2023?

For me the MSRPs are kind of beside the point, in terms of the "real" price based on scarcity/ADMs. I guess we'll get a better clue, depending on when "this summer" the first Zs start appearing in real customer hands, and when we get some production numbers.

MGD

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Occupation
Owner of electrical contracting company
But do you think an average customer without connections, will actually be able to buy a Z for 41k this year? How about in 2023?

For me the MSRPs are kind of beside the point, in terms of the "real" price based on scarcity/ADMs. I guess we'll get a better clue, depending on when "this summer" the first Zs start appearing in real customer hands, and when we get some production numbers.
ADMs are a US problem so it doesn’t really matter to the rest of the world as MSRP is MSRP for the rest of us. That said, pricing isn’t terrible but the price gap is…especially considering the already heavy Z is made even heavier with the brake package and no carbon fibre drive shaft on the auto. At this point I’m really on the fence as what I want to do. 😬

Definitely first world problems, do I keep the Giulia with touring package which is a blast to drive and a great cruiser with the kids or trade it off for the Z and make the leap to a two seater sports car? The Giulia is all aluminum, AWD, LSD, carbon fibre drive shaft, ZF8, proper column mounted big ol’ aluminum paddles, true 50/50 weight distribution and for $3k can have 400hp and MSRP the same as the Z and the same weight…a light tune puts it in a similar 1/4 mile time for about $500. True Italian race pedigree…the Z needs to be taken for what it is, an enthusiast car with enough zing to make it fun as F**k to drive around but with a price that puts it in a category where it is at risk of having potential customers jumping to better performing vehicles. It’s an interesting spot to have placed it price wise. It’s up against a Supra (UGLY AF, but a German sports car underneath) which doesn’t help. For an enthusiast though that will help the Z, but for the masses it may not be enough to keep them from going to the competition. Ughhhhh 😬, I have my real pre-order spot for the blue on blue performance package with the 9 speed but really at a loss on which route to go 😞

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Yep can guarantee that not one single one of them where happy when they announced the supra was no longer a Toyota

I am happy :) Never owned a Toyota (or Nissan) in my life. But, i have owned 2 dozen BMW and Mercedes. Only reason I went with Supra was the BMW DNA and because it was/is a misfit.
Toyota purists and JDM folks hate it because it is not even close to being JDM
BMW zealots would rather get an M2 (i cross shopped HARD)

I am happy bombing away on road tracks surprising a LOT of higher pedigree track cars.
my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAZLYJ1CHLSJajB-TP4kmdg

I am glad Nissan is trying to keep driving and the sports car experience alive!! Win for all of us.

I will admit the base Nissan in manual "wins" easily against the 4 cyl Supra (mistake) which costs more in the fun and smiles per $$

Looks are subjective- Nissan fans like the throw back looks- cool
I like the current Supra styling and have no allegiance to the old 2JZ days

It will be real interesting when the new Z are actually on the road and they line up against Supras. I think that is when the salt will really start.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
O RLY?

2011 Z4 35i w/ DCT, ///M Sport Package that included the ///M Adaptive Suspension and Exhaust (basically it was a 35is before 35is was available) bought it CPO in Jan 2016 with a whopping 32k on the clock for $27k - a fucking cream puff that had every possible option a Z4 came with.......14 speakers and all. Was even celebrity owned prior to me.

I changed oil religiously every 3k miles, Motul 300v (yeah, I'm that guy)

Before I tuned/FBO at 35k miles I walnut blasted and then I learned you had to add Coils and Plugs every other oil change - no biggie......cost of a "BMW" I figured.

Aluminum Chargepipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV (JDM roots yo), 7" core intercooler, Intakes, Silicone I/O (waste of money, I know now), Catless downpipes, Stock exhaust with Golf Tee mod (Z4s w/ M Exhaust didn't need an exhaust - they were pretty unrestrictive and Supra sounding), MHD tuned and I crammed the widest wheels you could under it and wrapped them in PS4S.

When it ran right, it was heaven on earth. I was the only Z4 in "Mexico" and I broke hearts at Gapplebees many a night and I took thing to Tail of the Dragon/Cherohalla/Moonshiner

Longest stretch of time I had that car problem free was 4 months, I still have flashbacks of 30FF codes and the Ding.

I bought an 89 S13 Hatch with 240k on the clock for $600 back in '05 that gave me LESS problems. My FD was the bastion of reliability vs my E89.
I don't want and you all don't want BMW n54 talk on this thread- PM me, happy to share all my good and bad BMW experiences.
But the N54 engine will go down as one of the greats- it is the grand dad of the N55, b58, s58
BMWs can be quirky- but the connection between driver-car-road is unbeatable. Has been unbeatable for decades

Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI (Sold)
After seeing the best of the -Z- YouTube reviews, I'll share my quick take, but preface it first by saying, I don't post much anymore on this forum, and will not in the future. The reason is time, and because I've ordered a different car, ergo I am not yet one of the full fledged "Z Alumni" or whatever the label is. However, in a couple of years, when the supply is better, and the markups have faded (?), I might add one, or trade my ordered car (2022 m240i) for a Z, if I don't like it. I'd probably just add it, as not liking my upcoming car is highly unlikely.

I think Nissan has delivered very well, at a decent price (w/o adm!). This is a beautiful, fast 2 seater. I like it more than the Supra (which I also like). The reviews make it obvious it will be a blast to drive. The only 2 flaws I see are easily fixed in the aftermarket, that being sound and traction. Stickier tires on the back, and mufflers/downpipes will do the trick! Then, put a tune or JB4 on it, the Z should be as fast as most will need, except the most hardcore drag racers. The Z will easily run mid 11's, if that's your thing. The handling is obviously excellent, with the great road feel that you want in a 2 seater. Body and interior are just yummy!

In fact forget all the foolish race stuff that people like me are addicted to, and just drive it and love it !! The car is great as is, with no mods...ok, except better sound. I've fallen for that Passion Red and Boulder Gray...just sayin'. So, enjoy, my Friends, and Cheers! 👍🖐😎

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I think this hypothetical "Track trim" or whatever we wish to name it is what many in the community were looking for, really. Don't need leather appointment, don't need a larger infotainment screen or more speakers or the spoiler, etc. Just wheels, brakes, LSD, firmer suspension setup.

Hell, if they are permitted to do so, they could strip out some of the more advanced safety equipment (lane assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise, and the like) only leaving what is legally required. Then show me that for like $42k. 🤟
They have four trims in the JDM market addressing all this. Stupid, stupid decision not to do that here.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
They have four trims in the JDM market addressing all this. Stupid, stupid decision not to do that here.
It's that fact which keeps me hopeful that this will not remain the trim structure in all other markets, for terribly long.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I can't reply for everyone else, but my position has always been - no test drive, no buy. Reviews are a fun to watch, but holy shit I wouldn't drop $60k on someone else's opinion
I totally understand and would normally be going this route. But here in Canada it will be at least 18 months before there will be a car in a dealership that is not pre-sold and you can actually test drive, and then if you like it, it will take another 6 months to get.

Keeping in mind this a basically a reskinned and heavily revised 370Z, I feel relatively safe in ordering it undriven as I have test driven the 370 a few times and liked it for the most part, and it appears from all the reviews that the things I did not like much have been addressed. Waiting 2+ years for this car (or any other) doesn't work for me. And should I not like it for some reason I will be able to flip it quickly at no loss and maybe even some profit.

Last edited:

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
People buying sports cars at this level are not average car customers. They're savvy enough to be able to afford a $50k toy car, ergo they're savvy enough to navigate the market accordingly. Being able to get a car in this class at MSRP is not a problem exclusive to the Z. There are markups on Supras across the southeast at present regardless of trim, and no one is getting a C8 at MSRP either.

I think the ADM thing is about to taper off here in short order, starting with your economy cars and trickling upward. A sizeable portion of car buyers need to finance, and rates are going through the roof on car loans. A year ago it wasn't uncommon to find 0% for 60 months on nearly anything from the manufacturer. Now, Nissan's best promo rate is 1.9% for 36 months, which would take you to 3.9% for 60 months. My local credit union is now approaching the 5% mark on a 60 month loan. A $5,000 ADM will price what buyers are left out of the market on what's on the lot.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
People buying sports cars at this level are not average car customers. They're savvy enough to be able to afford a $50k toy car, ergo they're savvy enough to navigate the market accordingly. Being able to get a car in this class at MSRP is not a problem exclusive to the Z. There are markups on Supras across the southeast at present regardless of trim, and no one is getting a C8 at MSRP either.

I think the ADM thing is about to taper off here in short order, starting with your economy cars and trickling upward. A sizeable portion of car buyers need to finance, and rates are going through the roof on car loans. A year ago it wasn't uncommon to find 0% for 60 months on nearly anything from the manufacturer. Now, Nissan's best promo rate is 1.9% for 36 months, which would take you to 3.9% for 60 months. My local credit union is now approaching the 5% mark on a 60 month loan. A $5,000 ADM will price what buyers are left out of the market on what's on the lot.
Well, by average I mean no connection to a dealership, and not willing to pay ADM.

I mean, some of these guys who say "what's the problem, I walked into my dealership and got the car without issue" ... you find out that guy has bought 5+ cars from that dealership. So yeah, the dealer probably breaks out wine and cheese when that customer shows up, lol.

I can haggle like an MF and walk from any deal. I bought my first new car just before COVID, for 14k USD off the lot. In a turnabout, the sales guy seemed worn down. :)

But if this is Broncoland with cats throwing money around 5k, 10k, 20k AMDs like confetti and patting themselves on the back for having spent 60k+ on their toy... going on now for over a year ... I'm not playing that game. Or playing treasure hunt. I'd like a Z, but definitely not as much as those type of buyers.

It seems a thing now to throw money at loaded vehicles, even by people who don't have the money. Will be interesting to see what the tightening credit situation does to that scene as you mentioned.

Also I'll be interested to see when and where the first customer walks out of a dealership with a real 41k Z.