Exhaust Questions and answers

MapleOne

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Screenshot (6).png

Was thinking of this exhaust: https://www.vividracing.com/blog/the-best-exhaust-choice-for-the-nissan-z

I like it but I thought maybe I would prefer to start with something a bit less radical.

I am trying to increase the tone just a bit but trying to find just a muffler and a way to preserve the what I am sure are going to become iconic factory tailpipes.

So if I could get the help of some experts, with as little modification as possible, just the muffler and a way to preserve those awesome tailpipes.

Screenshot (7).png

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I saw a guy who installed full downpipes on his Z and it increased the sound quite a bit while still using the factory exhaust. I dont personally think it sounded very good but I think your options are limited if you're looking to keep so many factory pieces. I would avoid drilling holes thats for sure lol.

OP
OP
MapleOne

MapleOne

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I would avoid drilling holes thats for sure lol.
I'm worried about the ground clearance with an aftermarket exhaust, I have so many speed bumps in my neighborhood.

The drilling is an easy fix if I don't like it because you don't actually drill into the muffle, just the pipe in front and that is super cheap to fix if the sound is wrong. In the video they did 6 quick holes in the pipe and it sounded awesome. To restore to new, patch in a piece of pipe or clamp overtop.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Have you thought about getting a nice sounding axleback? Then you could just take to an exhaust shop to cut the factory tips off and weld to your new exhaust.

Though you wouldn’t be able to easily restore back to factory setup unless you added clamps to the stock tips somehow

OP
OP
MapleOne

MapleOne

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Have you thought about getting a nice sounding axleback? Then you could just take to an exhaust shop to cut the factory tips off and weld to your new exhaust.

Though you wouldn’t be able to easily restore back to factory setup unless you added clamps to the stock tips somehow
That is my plan to try but quite honestly the idea of a few holes making a nice tone is quite appealing.

The guy in the video seems pleased as punch and if one ever gets pulled over you can just clamp a piece of metal with a slit in it over the holes. So bend it open, insert over the pipe, bend it closed and clamp it and back to stock it goes.

Seems almost too simple for next to no money, I'm just a bit lost where to bring it to get it done. They will probably decline because there is no money in that.

TheRoyalStig

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
??
I'm worried about the ground clearance with an aftermarket exhaust, I have so many speed bumps in my neighborhood.

The drilling is an easy fix if I don't like it because you don't actually drill into the muffle, just the pipe in front and that is super cheap to fix if the sound is wrong. In the video they did 6 quick holes in the pipe and it sounded awesome. To restore to new, patch in a piece of pipe or clamp overtop.
You shouldn't have clearance issues on the one you posted. If that had clearance issues you already be scraping the back end and stick system.

A lot of the options out there will mention if they ave the same clearance or you can just take a look at where the sit in comparison to stock.

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, Evora, Boxster, Jeep, Xterra.
Borla.

Luke93

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
6spd Performance
Just ordered the Takeda axleback should be here in a couple weeks. Basicly just a muffler delete lol

OP
OP
MapleOne

MapleOne

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Holy crap $526 USD for two pipes?

Can probably get that done a t 1/3 at a local muffler shop.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance

I’m lowered and I clear speed bumps no problems