Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept -- Electric Muscle Cars Incoming

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Not bad for an EV. Definitely recognizable as a Dodge. Really does nothing for me as I'm not a fan of the current gen Challenger, but that front end/air flow is interesting. Curious to see the difference in who buys something like this since they can't have the crap revved out of them at every stop sign and traffic light.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Not bad for an EV. Definitely recognizable as a Dodge. Really does nothing for me as I'm not a fan of the current gen Challenger, but that front end/air flow is interesting. Curious to see the difference in who buys something like this since they can't have the crap revved out of them at every stop sign and traffic light.
Oh, yeah, not my style either.

What I find most encouraging about this is that we finally have a manufacturer willing to make a mainstream (presumably, this should be relatively affordable) electric vehicle with two doors and a ride height lower than a CUV. This is a step in the direction of offering something - anything - electrified besides crossovers, a few sedans, and ridiculously expensive hypercars.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Via the C&D article,

"To give drivers the feeling of "distinctive shift points", Dodge has bestowed the Daytona SRT with a multi-speed transmission. Not many details are available beyond that, but a look at a concept image for the interior tells us it's likely an automatic. The Daytona SRT is also not the first electric car to depart from traditional direct-drive systems; the Taycan and e-tron GT both utilize a two-speed automatic gearbox. Though we can't say for sure, it seems likely that the Daytona SRT will use a two-speed transmission for improved acceleration and efficiency."

That's a step in the right direction. Now add another pedal and a proper gear shift.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Quite honestly, I believe this concept is profound on several levels.

Dodge/SRT has come out with some of the most fun-inspired vehicles in the last decade that bucked trends toward cars becoming "appliances". They have always understood that cars can serve as extensions of the people that drive them, and they executed on that premise. They capitalized on the trend toward crossovers/SUVs, and put their core philosophy into the Hellcat/Trackhawk variants of their SUVs.

Yeah, you get a Grand Cherokee, but we'll also give you a Grand Cherokee a stupid ass amount of power for no good reason. Yeah, everyone likes half ton trucks, but what if we had a truck that can get to 60 MPH faster than 80% of the vehicles on the road? There was never any reason to do that other than pure unadulterated FUN. I love that.

Despite the majority of EVs being "appliances" (and even the performance-oriented ones lacking that connection or "soul"), these guys are going to make one that forges that type of connection. American auto enthusiasts don't have to be left by the wayside as the world evolves in how we manufacture and consume energy. This can be fun to. This concept truly gives me hope that the American auto enthusiast doesn't need to be demonized or exiled in the name of saving the environment.

I have enjoyed Z cars and imports for a long time (and often thumbed my nose at "muscle") but as I age and things in life change and my own perspective evolves (matures?), I truly appreciate what these guys are doing and how they've not wavered in their philosophy. They brought a lot of American car culture to life, and they're clearly in tune with what the next generation of that looks like.

It really makes me want to spend my money on a Hellcat/Scat Pack instead of a Z.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Despite the majority of EVs being "appliances" (and even the performance-oriented ones lacking that connection or "soul"), these guys are going to make one that forges that type of connection. American auto enthusiasts don't have to be left by the wayside as the world evolves in how we manufacture and consume energy. This can be fun to. This concept truly gives me hope that the American auto enthusiast doesn't need to be demonized or exiled in the name of saving the environment.
mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I actually really like it. Now can Dodge make a production car look like that and affordable at the same time?
That will be the big test.

Dodge has been able to bring concepts to market with the design basically in tact, in the past, so I have some faith that the vehicle that arrives in showrooms in a few years will look mostly like what we're seeing here (I anticipate there will be 2 and 4 door models offered at some point, honestly). But the pricing is where we will really see their commitment to being a brand of the people while giving enthusiasts something electric they might actually desire.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
https://electrek.co/2022/08/17/tesla-preparing-supercharger-membership-non-tesla-ev-owners/

Tesla is working on a new Supercharger membership to offer non-Tesla EV owners as it prepares to open its Supercharger network in the US.

After opening the network in Europe where Superchargers use the standard CCS plug, Tesla is now preparing to open the network in North America by introducing a new CCS adapter for non-Tesla EV owners.

The move is expected to happen by the end of the year and comes as opening the network is a requirement to get access to new federal funds to accelerate the deployment of EV charging stations.

Electrek’s Take
My assumption is that Tesla is going to charge a higher price per kWh for non-Tesla EV owners on the Pay per Use model, and the Supercharger Membership is going to give them the same price as Tesla owners, who won’t have to pay the membership.

I would estimate the membership will be between $5 and $10 per month.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
I love how Dodge owns their own image.

"Is this the slipperiest car ever?.......NOPE! And, that's OK! - we don't care! We're willing to sacrifice some range so we can look BAD. ASS."

"I don't care if it's an EV......it had to sound like a Dodge!"

"We have a Donut Mode!"

This has my curiosity.

Last edited: