First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
If its anything like the Z34s 7AT in terms of reliability, track rats and canyon carvers are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I owned a 2012 7AT 370Z, torque converter seized after a year and a half of street driving and canyon runs. Whole transmission was replaced under warranty.

Replaced trans, did 1.5 track days and the torque converter and flex plate died a viking death at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana.

Replaced trans again, mounted transmission cooler and ran between 7 and 10 track events with Nissan Challenge and then I started getting misfires at Fontana again. Flex plate was the first thing to go this time.

Entire trans was replaced yet again, ran one more track event with it. Searched for a 6 speed MT in red, bought it, swapped all my parts over, sold the 7AT and never looked back.

The 7AT is meant to feel fun, fast and crisp in the most ideal conditions and for the typical driver on the street it holds up fine. I expect this will be true for the 9AT in the RZ34 as well, but my hopes aren't very high for anyone who is ballsy enough to track it on a road course regularly and in warm conditions.

I enjoyed the 7AT when it worked but when it didn't it was catastrophic, costly and absolutely heart breaking when you're making payments on a car that spends several months at a dealer for repairs for the same thing every 1.5 years or so.
Great inputs, tough days with the AT! This is the environment I will use it on, so the Manual still gives the nod. Clutches, pressure plates etc. are up to how drivers use it. Certainly a heavy duty setup including lightened flywheel probably adds to the robustness on track.

zRedBaron

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Nissan 370z, 1988 Nissan 300ZX SS
Great inputs, tough days with the AT! This is the environment I will use it on, so the Manual still gives the nod. Clutches, pressure plates etc. are up to how drivers use it. Certainly a heavy duty setup including lightened flywheel probably adds to the robustness on track.
Yeah manual is the way to go for anyone who is going to be spending time on a road course, hope the Nismo owners don't overestimate its ruggedness.

ZillaZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Frontier Pro-4X, 2024 Z Performance
I can drive and like driving MT's - owned a few. However my new Z is going to be my summer / clear roads daily. I spent plenty of time in city traffic with an MT and I will not be tracking my Z. I do have the occasional fun drive on the weekends through some back-road twisties and sure, a manual can be more fun there but I wen't AT with my new Z.
I just got mine a couple days ago and drove it a lot today, spent a good amount of time using the paddles and it's super fun. AS fun as a manual? Maybe not I need more time with it but I will be happy with the AT when I start driving it to work or get caught in traffic on a road trip.

Side note this is the first time I have ever driven a car with launch control. Ran it a few times today and holy crap! This car is so fun!

Vintage

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rubicon
I've had alot of fun with MT's in many sports cars I've owned over the years. But the AT's have become so good, I feel they're better suited for my daily driving. As much as I enjoyed the AT in my 23 Z Performance there is a noticeable difference in my Nismo AT. The shifts are alot crisper and cleaner and having the Sport Plus mode brings the car to another fun level.

Last edited:

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z, GMC2500HD (winter), others
Occupation
retired
As much as I enjoyed the AT in my 23 Z Performance there is a noticeable difference in my Nismo AT. The shifts are alot crisper and cleaner and having the Sport Plus mode brings the car to another fun level.
The Nismo uses the same 9-speed Jatco but reportedly has revised clutch packs along with different engine management software to get that faster shifting and "other enhancements".

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, Evora, Boxster, Jeep, Xterra.
I've been driving MT's my whole life...learned on a neighbor's farm truck when I was in HS. and since then have owned a whole assortment of MT's, from SUVs on back roads to sports cars on the track. I know AT's are supposed to be faster, but I can't imagine a sports car without a MT and wouldn't buy one with a AT (what was Nissan thinking with the Nismo???) My 350Z, Boxster, Evora, and now Z have all had MT's. (I might feel differently if I lived with stop and go traffic on a daily basis.)