BMW recalls Supra (again)... Why didn't you by the Supra instead of the Z?

Which one are you getting?

• Total voters

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
While there is a lot of internet dislike for the looks of the Supra, the in-person real world response is so overwhelming positive that it’s sometimes problematic.

I’ll be first in line to order the new Z, but my Supra gets way more complements than my 370Z and I sometimes get tired of having to chat with people about the A90.
I don't doubt for a minute that it attracts a lot of attention, but the design just isn't something that does anything at all for me. It's way too busy. It looks like a melted Z3 M coupe to me, and not in a good way.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150
looks aside it will probably easily out run the new Z if this is anything to go by.

Z_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000, Xterra Pro-4x
The car's original design was meant to be built on a Lexus LC500 platform or something similar. Instead, they squished the design into a Z4 chassis, built it with all BMW parts, did not offer a manual, and IMO priced it too high for what you get = an expensive BMW with issues and recalls.

The fact that you're limited to tuning unless you have a specific year model, I thought it was supposed to be a "tuner's car". Nissan has so many examples of what not to do to succeed with the upcoming Z.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
The car's original design was meant to be built on a Lexus LC500 platform or something similar. Instead, they squished the design into a Z4 chassis, built it with all BMW parts, did not offer a manual, and IMO priced it too high for what you get = an expensive BMW with issues and recalls.

The fact that you're limited to tuning unless you have a specific year model, I thought it was supposed to be a "tuner's car". Nissan has so many examples of what not to do to succeed with the upcoming Z.
I certainly agree that the MSRP is a bit high. I wouldn’t have bought at that price. It took sub $50k to get me to buy. Part of why I bought is also that I knew it was going to take a good long while for me to get into a new Z.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i'm sure nissan is well aware of what the zupr4 can do. they have had plenty of time to prepare...this their time to outshine the competition. the z will be lighter, the engine will have more hp and I'm sure can be tuned for more.

the only big question is the auto trans and wether is can hang with the zupr4s. but they have been working on that behind the scenes according to various sources.

the one thing i can see happening is the base z be quite a bit slower because it may be not be tuned for more hp, using the current auto trans out of the 370z. the base model would compete with the 2.0 zupra. in other words the s, t and s/t trims would be upgraded and be the zupra 3.0 killers.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
looks aside it will probably easily out run the new Z if this is anything to go by.

Not a great comparison. The Infiniti will likely weigh between 500-1000lbs more than the new Z.

i'm sure nissan is well aware of what the zupr4 can do. they have had plenty of time to prepare...this their time to outshine the competition. the z will be lighter, the engine will have more hp and I'm sure can be tuned for more.

the only big question is the auto trans and wether is can hang with the zupr4s. but they have been working on that behind the scenes according to various sources.

the one thing i can see happening is the base z be quite a bit slower because it may be not be tuned for more hp, using the current auto trans out of the 370z. the base model would compete with the 2.0 zupra. in other words the s, t and s/t trims would be upgraded and be the zupra 3.0 killers.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X

The Q60 weighs 700lbs more than the Supra. The Z will not weigh that much and will not have a 14 year old automatic transmission to put power to the ground compared to a fresh ZF 8 speed in the Supra. The power curves for each engine are too close for a definitive advantage for either car, so what you're witnessing is the pure definition of how weight kills speed.

Packaging is everything. The Red Sport cars, in stock form, are not a good overall performance package despite having a phenomenal engine. Open diffs, trash steering, old transmissions, ho-hum suspensions, and a ton of extra weight absolutely nullify what are overall decent chassis dynamics and a fantastic powerplant in those cars.

I take that video not even with a grain of salt when considering the next Z versus a Supra.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
This may come as a shock to some considering all the crap that I given the Zupra, but I don't think it's that overpriced. The $50k starting price isn't too outrageous imo. We have to remember that it's a really a BMW under all that fugly sheet metal. The B58 Z4 starts at what? $63k? $64k? So for a German car that's not that bad.

Now, that's not to say I wish Toyota hadn't packaged it differently. Instead of that $43k+ abomination 4 banger that hardly anyone is buying Toyota should have kept the 335hp B58C as a base model. Pair it with a manual transmission, cloth seats and some spring suspension to save some on money and price it in the low $40ks.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
This may come as a shock to some considering all the crap that I given the Zupra, but I don't think it's that overpriced. The $50k starting price isn't too outrageous imo. We have to remember that it's a really a BMW under all that fugly sheet metal. The B58 Z4 starts at what? $63k? $64k? So for a German car that's not that bad.

Now, that's not to say I wish Toyota hadn't packaged it differently. Instead of that $43k+ abomination 4 banger that hardly anyone is buying Toyota should have kept the 335hp B58C as a base model. Pair it with a manual transmission, cloth seats and some spring suspension to save some on money and price it in the low $40ks.
I agree. More proof it's a BMW as Toyota way over thought on this one. They could have gotten away with low-$40k's as the 2020 M240i started around $46k.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I agree. More proof it's a BMW as Toyota way over thought on this one. They could have gotten away with low-$40k's as the 2020 M240i started around $46k.
Exactly, smh at Toyota for not listening to their base. Everyone was asking for a manual. What did they do instead? Give us a overpriced POS 4 banger that no one wanted. Great job Toyota... o_O:p:rolleyes:

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14

They could have also put on 17inch wheels instead of the 18s since alot of people are going aftermarket anyways