First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
seeing whether or not anyone here plans to trade/sell in order to get the new z.

if so, why and what are you getting rid of to make room for it?
are you gladly doing it or was it a tough decision?

Last edited:

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 mazda rx7, 2005 subaru legacy gt
Occupation
Nissan machinist
Was gonna sell mine for one but now idk. Circumstances changed and I may be able to buy one outright. That said it'll still be after the markup is gone or I find a used example that way someone else deals with the mark up and immediate value drop when you drive it off the lot. So maybe a year or so.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I plan on keeping my E92 as selling it privately won't fetch anywhere near what it's worth to me, and I'd be offended by the trade-in offer. I've always had a trade when buying from a dealer but it doesn't look like it's going to happen for the Z. Not sure how it is in other places, but having a trade is especially nice in GA because it also lowers the taxable value of the new car.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Was gonna sell mine for one but now idk. Circumstances changed and I may be able to buy one outright. That said it'll still be after the markup is gone or I find a used example that way someone else deals with the mark up and immediate value drop when you drive it off the lot. So maybe a year or so.
glad you're keeping the fd...

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 mazda rx7, 2005 subaru legacy gt
Occupation
Nissan machinist
glad you're keeping the fd...
Me too. In the end, I just cant bring myself to do it. the car just holds too much sentimental value to me. I just ordered more parts for it in fact lol

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
At first I was going to part out the R and trade/sell it to pay for the Z, but now I'm thinking I might want to keep both and just finance the Z. The extra storage and insurance might be a bitch though. I still have to run the numbers.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Here's a strategy if you're going to privately sell your car:
  1. Buy/finance Z
  2. Sell your car
  3. Make principle only payment to your lender, or payoff high rate credit cards
  4. Refi loan for best rate
The downside is you'll pay sales tax on the higher purchase price, but depending on your present car, you may make most of that up with the difference between the wholesale price the dealer will give you versus the retail price you'll get if you sell it yourself.

Bringatrailer.com is a good auction source for older sportscars and recreational vehicles.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
Trading in a Frontier to eat any ADM and reduce the taxes.

If you go with Donalex’s advice to sell privately first, I highly recommend the ease of the at-home services. I sold the SS to Driveway and got 5k over KBB and had money in my account the following day.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I have already sold mine privately …got a very good price, enough to buy a I20 secondhand for my son who will get his L plates in 6 months, and a big chunk left for the Z.
My husbands car is an Auto, I’m getting the Z in manual.
My son wants his manual licence….no way is he leaning in the Z. So this was a happy medium

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Selling my Wrangler as soon as I fix whatever the fuck is wrong with it. Probably won't figure it out until around the time the Z goes on sale so works out perfectly.

AbhiTheIndian

First Name
Abhi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 S5, '18 Mustang GT, '14 435iX
Sold my '13 S5 back in September since its value was as high it was ever going to be. I had the Z in mind as its potential replacement but it will definitely depend on if I can even get an allocation, as well as potential ADM.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i was thinking of tradinging in my 2ss camaro the dealer had just offfered me 44 for the car but iwth the delays and markups im sure they are going add i have to think about it

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I never do trade-ins. I understand in some circumstances there can be a tax advantage, but I have done quite a few car deals in my days to know that the dealer usually comes out so far ahead that your tax advantage evaporates.

I have a Q60 that looks like it is possibly worth more than, or at least the same as, I paid for it a few years ago. I may cluck it online and stash the cash while the gettin's good. I have other vehicles to drive until I can get my next new car.