First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
depending on what you have, the dealerships are offering more than you may have paid new...

JoeTX

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bike
Occupation
Broker/ Software Engineer
never trade-in your car at the dealership. sell the car privately and take the money and use it as a down payment. I sold my car for 13k and dealership and Caravana/CarMax offered me 4k-5k for it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
depending on what you have, the dealerships are offering more than you may have paid new...
never trade-in your car at the dealership. sell the car privately and take the money and use it as a down payment. I sold my car for 13k and dealership and Caravana/CarMax offered me 4k-5k for it.
The only time I will consider trading in is if I think my trade-in has too many issues to sell privately, and instead of fixing the trade-in or spending weeks trying to find the right buyer, then the trade-in process is appealing.

However, if your vehicle has decent value, the dealership is never going to give you the financial upper hand. What you think is a good trade-in is likely buried into the rest of the deal. Your vehicle, when in good condition, is always more valuable to you as a private sale.

The pandemic is really screwing things up. You see high trade-in than 2 years ago, not realizing private sale is still higher..... Then you think MSRP with no ADM is suddenly a good deal, but don't forget the price the dealer pays for a vehicle doesn't have markups on it, most dealers still get their vehicles below invoice.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
No. I have a paid off 2013 G37X and 2019 5.0 that I owe $21k. Both will continue to be modded. I wouldn't replace my Mustang with a Z or anything else.

Once I owe $10k or less I should be able to get into a $30k+ car. We shall see I'm considering many cars new and used.

JoeTX

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bike
Occupation
Broker/ Software Engineer
The only time I will consider trading in is if I think my trade-in has too many issues to sell privately, and instead of fixing the trade-in or spending weeks trying to find the right buyer, then the trade-in process is appealing.

However, if your vehicle has decent value, the dealership is never going to give you the financial upper hand. What you think is a good trade-in is likely buried into the rest of the deal. Your vehicle, when in good condition, is always more valuable to you as a private sale.

The pandemic is really screwing things up. You see high trade-in than 2 years ago, not realizing private sale is still higher..... Then you think MSRP with no ADM is suddenly a good deal, but don't forget the price the dealer pays for a vehicle doesn't have markups on it, most dealers still get their vehicles below invoice.
True, but I've always sold my cars privately even with it has issue still got more money for it. trade-in at the dealer makes it easier to do things I'll admit that but I'd rather spend a little more time to get more money.
this is the best time to sell your used car, I read an article few days ago that some used cars are worth more than the new cars that is being sold at dealerships because of the demand.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
True, but I've always sold my cars privately even with it has issue still got more money for it. trade-in at the dealer makes it easier to do things I'll admit that but I'd rather spend a little more time to get more money.
this is the best time to sell your used car, I read an article few days ago that some used cars are worth more than the new cars that is being sold at dealerships because of the demand.
It has to be a vehicle with problems I don't feel comfortable offloading onto another person.
There's problems that are not a big deal, like it'll need brakes soon, tires, stuff like that.
But if the car occasionally slips gears, has a random, difficult to diagnose CEL... I don't mind letting the dealer or auctioneer deal with it at that point. I just don't want to feel like someone trusted me to sell them a decent car, if the car isn't decent.
Now, I know, some people are totally cool with any issue...I have sold a few with full disclosure and had happy transactions anyways, but I don't always feel like finding the right person.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
I never do trade-ins. I understand in some circumstances there can be a tax advantage, but I have done quite a few car deals in my days to know that the dealer usually comes out so far ahead that your tax advantage evaporates.

I have a Q60 that looks like it is possibly worth more than, or at least the same as, I paid for it a few years ago. I may cluck it online and stash the cash while the gettin's good. I have other vehicles to drive until I can get my next new car.
Living in a 10% sales tax state that only allows you to get a sales tax credit when you trade in at a DEALERSHIP, you have to consider it, unfortunately. Makes it a pain in the arse to swap vehicles on the reg. Add to that you get charged the HIGHER rate of your home address or purchasing location. Pisses me off to no end.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Living in a 10% sales tax state that only allows you to get a sales tax credit when you trade in at a DEALERSHIP, you have to consider it, unfortunately. Makes it a pain in the arse to swap vehicles on the reg. Add to that you get charged the HIGHER rate of your home address or purchasing location. Pisses me off to no end.
Yup, WA state here, my City is at 10.8% now, and the county just approved another 0.1% to throw money at homeless.

I really need to look into the trade-in thing to offset taxes.....

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Good ol living wage tax.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i may be selling one of my cars soon...maybe this next week

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
I'll be trading in my Megane for the Z, or selling it privately at the very least. It's a good little car but the FWD dynamics just aren't what I'm looking for despite its capability.

It would take too much for me to part with the MR2, and the 508 is our comfy practical car, so they'll both have to stay.

ToastyDerek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Hyundai Elantra Ultimate
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'll be selling/trading my current car for it, yeah. Don't really need or want to deal with having more than 1 car

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Uh...Nah, no trade-in..I've already spent too much $$ modding my S4 to want to trade in., and both cars make it dual threat...Z for Twins, RWD & 6MT...S4 for SingleT, AWD and 8AT

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I'm keeping my current car for my daily (90 mile round-trip) commute to keep the mileage and insurance costs down on the Z.

Cmtremor

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 6.7 ram 2500, S14 silvia, 1uz 84" celica
Occupation
millwright
undesided, I have a 04 350z and a 2017 titan xd diesel, both are good vehicles but could be replaced. currently truck shopping but nothing excites me like the titan xd so it may be staying for good .. the crankshaft just worries me