First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
I think Nissan wins the Frontier vs Tacoma battle much more so than the Z vs Supra battle. They really did well with the new Truck.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
I think Nissan wins the Frontier vs Tacoma battle much more so than the Z vs Supra battle. They really did well with the new Truck.
They caught up at least. Both trucks are great.. unfortunately a new Tacoma will be coming soon.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
They caught up at least. Both trucks are great.. unfortunately a new Tacoma will be coming soon.
Ridgeline FTW! Seriously, have you ever sat in a Tacoma? I do like the exterior styling, but their seating position is terrible!

Agreed the Frontier has probably caught up to the Tacoma, but the Taco is due for a refresh any day (or 5 years...it's Yota after all).

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The new Frontier is a total let down.

The 2022 configurator is now on nissan.com, I tried to build a Frontier I would buy.
If you get any version with the longer bed, either the king cab or crew cab long bed you are locked out of so many desirable options.
No LED lighting
No premium sound
No Pro-4x

It's 2022 for fucks sake, seriously not going to offer optional LED lighting? Nissan is out of touch.

I considered a Frontier to replace my Titan, but I'm getting a Tundra next. You can opt for all kinds of excellent options on any configuration of truck body and trim you want, for example you can get an SR5 Tundra king cab long bed, opt for TRD off-road and get locking rear diff, 14" infotainment, all LED lighting, all on the second up from base truck.

Only the Pro-4x Frontier is appealing, but the truck bed is ridiculously short.

Nissan just doesn't know how to make a truck anymore. Too bad because my Titan has been the best vehicle I've ever owned, I would've liked to buy another Nissan truck but the Titan and new Frontier just aren't at all competitive.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
The new Frontier is a total let down.

The 2022 configurator is now on nissan.com, I tried to build a Frontier I would buy.
If you get any version with the longer bed, either the king cab or crew cab long bed you are locked out of so many desirable options.
No LED lighting
No premium sound
No Pro-4x

It's 2022 for fucks sake, seriously not going to offer optional LED lighting? Nissan is out of touch.

I considered a Frontier to replace my Titan, but I'm getting a Tundra next. You can opt for all kinds of excellent options on any configuration of truck body and trim you want, for example you can get an SR5 Tundra king cab long bed, opt for TRD off-road and get locking rear diff, 14" infotainment, all LED lighting, all on the second up from base truck.

Only the Pro-4x Frontier is appealing, but the truck bed is ridiculously short.

Nissan just doesn't know how to make a truck anymore. Too bad because my Titan has been the best vehicle I've ever owned, I would've liked to buy another Nissan truck but the Titan and new Frontier just aren't at all competitive.
I completely and wholly disagree with you here. The fact that you're going to get a Tundra instead of a Frontier means you aren't in the market for a mid-sized truck. If you were going to buy a Tacoma, I would say you might have some weight to your sentiments. Maybe they don't build one for you, but my 2020 Titan Pro4X is fantastic, and I think this Frontier is an absolutely fantastic truck.

Nissan is packaging trucks centered around greater common denominator, and it doesn't sound like you're that. That's ok if it's not a fit for you, but they're great trucks, and in standard form, they're overbuilt compared to a lot of their competitors in base configuration. Most F-150s don't out-tow the current gen Titan without thousands in options to get towing hardware that's standard in every trim of the Titan. It's only when you add all of those towing options that you get past a Titan with an F-150.

On the midsize side of things, the Frontier is absolutely competitive to the Tacoma. Maybe you can enlighten me on the areas that you don't think it is. Is it simply bed/body configurations available? The Frontier is class-leading in horsepower and offers pretty much any option a Tacoma offers except the bleeding edge TRD Pro suspension setup and a couple fancy tech knick-knacks. I call that competitive.

As for the new Tundra, it's pretty awesome, but there isn't enough information on the trim levels and body configurations (with pricing for all of the options and accessories). I think the Titan still has a segment out there to which it properly caters without having to blast the bank. None of the information you're stating about the TRD Off-Road package is even released yet for the next gen Tundra. The current gen doesn't offer a locking rear diff at all, and the current gen truck is not competitive to the Titan, trim for trim, whatsoever, IMHO. The only buyers left of that truck are the cult diehard Toyota guys. Nothing wrong with that at all, but to say the Titan isn't competitive isn't the case. The Titan offers more standard horsepower while offering better fuel economy than ANY engine offering in the current gen truck while being structurally safer by a mile and within range of a comparably equipped Tundra with respect to payload and towing. I'd be willing to bet that once all of the info about the next Tundra is released, we'll see the perceived gap narrow a good bit between the two trucks. Their website makes it look like their Limited Crew Cab 4x4 is towing 12,500, but that real number is nearly guaranteed to be between 9200-9800lbs for a loaded crew cab 4x4 configuration, and my Titan Pro4X is 9210 or 9310 - right there with it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I completely and wholly disagree with you here. The fact that you're going to get a Tundra instead of a Frontier means you aren't in the market for a mid-sized truck. If you were going to buy a Tacoma, I would say you might have some weight to your sentiments. Maybe they don't build one for you, but my 2020 Titan Pro4X is fantastic, and I think this Frontier is an absolutely fantastic truck.

Nissan is packaging trucks centered around greater common denominator, and it doesn't sound like you're that. That's ok if it's not a fit for you, but they're great trucks, and in standard form, they're overbuilt compared to a lot of their competitors in base configuration. Most F-150s don't out-tow the current gen Titan without thousands in options to get towing hardware that's standard in every trim of the Titan. It's only when you add all of those towing options that you get past a Titan with an F-150.

On the midsize side of things, the Frontier is absolutely competitive to the Tacoma. Maybe you can enlighten me on the areas that you don't think it is. Is it simply bed/body configurations available? The Frontier is class-leading in horsepower and offers pretty much any option a Tacoma offers except the bleeding edge TRD Pro suspension setup and a couple fancy tech knick-knacks. I call that competitive.

As for the new Tundra, it's pretty awesome, but there isn't enough information on the trim levels and body configurations (with pricing for all of the options and accessories). I think the Titan still has a segment out there to which it properly caters without having to blast the bank. None of the information you're stating about the TRD Off-Road package is even released yet for the next gen Tundra. The current gen doesn't offer a locking rear diff at all, and the current gen truck is not competitive to the Titan, trim for trim, whatsoever, IMHO. The only buyers left of that truck are the cult diehard Toyota guys. Nothing wrong with that at all, but to say the Titan isn't competitive isn't the case. The Titan offers more standard horsepower while offering better fuel economy than ANY engine offering in the current gen truck while being structurally safer by a mile and within range of a comparably equipped Tundra with respect to payload and towing. I'd be willing to bet that once all of the info about the next Tundra is released, we'll see the perceived gap narrow a good bit between the two trucks. Their website makes it look like their Limited Crew Cab 4x4 is towing 12,500, but that real number is nearly guaranteed to be between 9200-9800lbs for a loaded crew cab 4x4 configuration, and my Titan Pro4X is 9210 or 9310 - right there with it.
Your assessment of my needs is completely wrong.

I need a new truck that is as reliable as my old Titan, which means only Japanese brand for me.

I also no longer need the huge cab of my Crew Cab Titan, and I've never liked the short bed that it came with. We camp in the bed (with a Leer cap) of our Titan, as we need a hatch tent so we can leave the back open for me to stretch out, and because there's no air mattress that short.

I don't care if a truck is mid or full size. I just need a longer bed, and don't necessarily need a crew cab. Additionally I want a proper off road package (from a Japanese brand) with most modern accessories.

Nissan left me hanging. The Frontier is stuck as a short bed crew cab if I want off-road gear and better stereo and LED lighting. Any Frontier with the longer bed is not available with any of that.

The Titan recently dropped the Pro-4x king cab long bed, and I would consider the Pro-4x XD because it has the longer bed, but in the current market I expect to pay too much for an outdated gas guzzler.

I can get a Tundra, with a king cab long bed 6.5 pretty much loaded with locker, skid plates, suspension for same price as a Pro-4x XD.

Again, I primarily only care about:
Japanese
Modern accessories
Off-road package
Bed length

Even the Tacoma, although more diverse than the Frontier in options, can't be spec'd in my ideal way.