First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8
Occupation
Engineer - Telecom
so it looks like the majority here are not willing to pay over msrp. for those of willing to, what's your cut-off?
My pricing takes into account the msrp + the ADM (because we still don't know msrp).

I will not pay a dime over 55k, and at that price the the journalists better love it, and it better outperform the supra. Which I doubt that.

So more logically I'm hoping it's 45k msrp for a performance trim, and I would pay a max of maybe 5-7 grand on top of it. Still getting one cheaper than a supra at those prices, and overall not super ridiculous mark up considering I saw a mach 1 at a dealer by me listed at 75k

Stella

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
19 sti, 21 mach 1, 22 supra
so it looks like the majority here are not willing to pay over msrp. for those of willing to, what's your cut-off?
For me it kinda depends on the test drive. If it's one of the best cars I've ever driven, probably willing to pay no more than 5k over. If it feels like a beeg 370, I'll buy one used in 3 years. I'm hopefully pessimistic.

Also depends on how the market looks in 3-6+ months. If my trade in is worth 5k less than it is now, then that's the markup right there. Not interested in ever having negative equity on a car again by a very safe margin.

Idk I feel like the people who have f-u money that would happily pay 15k over msrp arnt looking for a car like the z and would rather pay 60k for a whole car. Could be totally wrong, and if we're only the small number of units I'm hearing whispers of, I could see it being another focus rs, if any company is able to mess this up, it's nissan.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
My pricing takes into account the msrp + the ADM (because we still don't know msrp).

I will not pay a dime over 55k, and at that price the the journalists better love it, and it better outperform the supra. Which I doubt that.
I don’t expect it to outperform the Supra. If it was the same price then it damn better. I think the overall consensus will be that it’s a lot fun with a manual. Other than that I don’t expect any ground breaking reviews.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
For me it kinda depends on the test drive. If it's one of the best cars I've ever driven, probably willing to pay no more than 5k over. If it feels like a beeg 370, I'll buy one used in 3 years. I'm hopefully pessimistic.

Also depends on how the market looks in 3-6+ months. If my trade in is worth 5k less than it is now, then that's the markup right there. Not interested in ever having negative equity on a car again by a very safe margin.

Idk I feel like the people who have f-u money that would happily pay 15k over msrp arnt looking for a car like the z and would rather pay 60k for a whole car. Could be totally wrong, and if we're only the small number of units I'm hearing whispers of, I could see it being another focus rs, if any company is able to mess this up, it's nissan.
I think you may be onto something with regards to the bolded bits. The only model that I could see those people going for would be the Proto Spec, otherwise, yeah, that puts you in an entirely different arena.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I don’t expect it to outperform the Supra. If it was the same price then it damn better. I think the overall consensus will be that it’s a lot fun with a manual. Other than that I don’t expect any ground breaking reviews.
I'm...still on the fence about that. I'm cautiously optimistic about it all—and we'll hopefully find out soon enough.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
after seeing what dealers/individuals are asking for used cars here in the usa...im afraid adm's could be much higher than the $10k i originally thought. the inflation here is no joke!

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Last edited:

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
IMO Nissan corporate won't be able to stop the dealers from their "fair market value" adjustments and the ADMs will definitely be there for at least the first year if not longer. I'd expect $10K ADM to be commonplace for both sport and performance trims and for the unicorn Proto Spec assume $25K to $50K ADM depending on dealer market. Of course some dealers will not be as greedy as others and MSRP will be found but expect you might be buying from a dealer in Iowa or some other state across the country to make it happen.

Ford dealers have always been famous for their ADMs on their halo vehicles and during the past couple years they've upped their game to world class shake-down artists with their new product launches during times of constraints. But even with all the bad publicity the greedy dealerships get, there are still Ford dealers offering at MSRP or below if you look. Consider a new Mach 1 as a case study in ADMs and maybe a predictor of what could happen with Z. 288 new 2021's still leftover on dealer lots and 45 new 2022s...taken from Autotrader yesterday, 99% of these are the base Mach 1, non-handling pack cars:

New 2022 Mach 1 45 for sale

0 offered for less than MSRP
13 (29%) offered at MSRP
0 offered with ADM from >MSRP up to $2K
8 (18%) offered with ADMs $2K to less than $5K
11 (24%) offered with ADMs between $5K to less than $10K
3 (6%) offered with ADM right at $10K
5 (11%) offered with ADMs greater than $10K to less than $20K
0 offered with ADMs greater than $20K
5 (11%) contact dealer for price

New 2021 Mach 1 288 for sale

6 (2%) offered for less than MSRP
74 (26%) offered at MSRP
9 (3%) offered with ADM from > MSRP up to $2K
27 (9%) offered with ADM $2K to less than $5K
65 (23%) offered with ADMs between $5K to less than $10K
55 (19%) offered with ADMs right at $10K
9 (3%) offered with ADMs greater than $10K to less than $20K
7 (2%) offered with ADMs greater than $20K
32 (11%) contact dealer for price

Time will tell. If it gets too crazy I'll just get a final year Camaro SS 1LE and call it a day.

Loki93

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Hatchback
My local dealer said no ADM, but there’s a $900 dealer add on package. Im taking it w a grain of salt. I’ll pay the dealer addon package, it’s whatever.

but im not paying a dime over msrp. I’ll wait a year or two if i have to

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Man, some of y'all are like "I could just buy something else" then please, would you? Take the demand for the Z down a few notches.
Go get that BMW, Camaro or Mustang instead, they're technically better cars. Better interior room, performance and probably MPGs. I mean y'all don't really fucking want the car, but if you get in line for it, the dealers are just going to adjust prices depending on the line. Only to have y'all bail at the last or flip it in a few months when you realize you wanted something else.

Let those of us who only want a Z have a damn chance!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
So, a thought occurred to me.......
What if Nissan had a "qualified buyer program"?
Some high end car brands require prospective owners to "apply" for the right to own a special car.
I'd love it if Nissan adopted a similar approach. For those of us who are brand enthusiasts, give us a fair shot, first in line chance, without ADM.
Just make people apply for and be selected by Nissan. BTW I'm not saying every Z sale should be done this way, just reserve Z's without ADM, can be custom ordered, for enthusiasts who'd be willing to go through the process.

I see many people on here have owned Zs and 240s, currently own a recent Nissan, have a collectible and/or track Z. Personally, I own a Q60 and a Titan, and have pictures of my Z and SX ownership going back almost 30 years. I'd love for enthusiasts to get a fair shot at getting the new Z, weed out the tire-kickers who might "buy a BMW or C8 instead"

Xeno

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 Pontiac Trans Am, 1968 Chevrolet C10
Occupation
Mechatronics Engineer
Some high end car brands require prospective owners to "apply" for the right to own a special car.
I'd love it if Nissan adopted a similar approach. For those of us who are brand enthusiasts, give us a fair shot, first in line chance, without ADM.
Just make people apply for and be selected by Nissan. BTW I'm not saying every Z sale should be done this way, just reserve Z's without ADM, can be custom ordered, for enthusiasts who'd be willing to go through the process.

I see many people on here have owned Zs and 240s, currently own a recent Nissan, have a collectible and/or track Z. Personally, I own a Q60 and a Titan, and have pictures of my Z and SX ownership going back almost 30 years. I'd love for enthusiasts to get a fair shot at getting the new Z, weed out the tire-kickers who might "buy a BMW or C8 instead"
This is interesting for sure, but what about buyers who have no previous connections? People who genuinely want the car without outrageous adm or not even talking adm, how would those same buyers get a fair opportunity to buy in the first or second allocations?

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
This is interesting for sure, but what about buyers who have no previous connections? People who genuinely want the car without outrageous adm or not even talking adm, how would those same buyers get a fair opportunity to buy in the first or second allocations?
Who cares!!!! ?

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20

How about just being fair across the board and treating your clientele with respect.
Long term it’s going to work far better for any brand

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Maybe have them sign a "no-flipping" agreement. Again, not unheard of.