because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Imo more JDM muscle car than sports car. The weight, the power, acceleration, most importantly, the look. I don't see editors saying it handles or performs better than the Supra. Now that is a bona fide sports car.

GR86 too. People will buy this car primarily for the looks and power on paper. The two Toyotas are better sports cars so it comes dow to what you want because you can't have it all.

For the record it would be a tough decision between the three if I we're in the market. I got my 10r80 5.0 because I wanted more car (power potential) for $30k. Nothing new under $40k can be built to outdo those two in acceleration except for the Z. I expect it to be a driver's race dollar for dollar and the superior power to weight ratio of the Z to break a lot of hearts. Not to mention turbo performance in the cooler months.

That 3.5 final drive in the manual is gonna be good and is just right. Tbh I'd get a base, add a shorter gear, lsd, and go fbo on corn.
For a bona fide sportscar, the MKV is missing something most serious sportscars have - double wishbone up front. Savagegeese has mentioned several times to date that the Z has better turn in as a result.

In the same vane, a good sportscar should inspire driver confidence. The MKV snap oversteer from the rear certainly doesn't do this.

So I disagree with your assessment. The stock suspension on the Z, while comfortable, isn't the best for serious track work. Coilovers can easily remedy that. In conjunction with its double wishbone, the Z has the potential of being a sharper track tool than the MKV.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
For a bona fide sportscar, the MKV is missing something most serious sportscars have - double wishbone up front. Savagegeese has mentioned several times to date that the Z has better turn in as a result.

In the same vane, a good sportscar should inspire driver confidence. The MKV snap oversteer from the rear certainly doesn't do this.

So I disagree with your assessment. The stock suspension on the Z, while comfortable, isn't the best for serious track work. Coilovers can easily remedy that. In conjunction with its double wishbone, the Z has the potential of being a sharper track tool than the MKV.
Doesn't the Z also have a multi link up front?

Nonetheless Supra was 2 seconds faster in the Haggerty review. 4 cylinder Supra has an lsd while the now $40k Z does not. I'll argue that between the two Supra is the superior sports car. Those that have driven the two back this up. It's faster, stops better, and as mentioned quicker around track.

Haven't seen a comparison yet where Z is preferred. Here is a quote from Car & Driver

It became clear very early in the drive that the Nissan Z's return to the arena wouldn't end in a career-defining victory. That's not to say it should have stayed retired, though. This is the best version in the Z's storied history, but the Toyota GR Supra simply outmatches it. While styling may be subjective, resistance to the Supra's exterior design may be enough to drive some shoppers to the Z, however.

In every other way, the Supra wins the bout as the superior sports car. As much as the Z is better than the 370Z it replaces, it's more of a "sporty" car compared to the Supra. Perhaps a future higher-performing Nismo Z could help even the scorecards, but it's unlikely that will correct the interior missteps. To wrap it all up in a final boxing metaphor, the Z is swinging wildly hoping for a lucky knockout, while the Supra confidently lands unanswered precision strikes.
More from motor biscuit

• In a straight line, the 2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 is faster than the 2023 Nissan Z
  • Driving both recently, the Supra was the sharper sports car, especially at higher speeds, but the Z felt more enjoyable at street-legal speeds
  • The Supra is the better choice for performance seekers, but the Z offers more for those chasing experiences

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Doesn't the Z also have a multi link up front?

Nonetheless Supra was 2 seconds faster in the Haggerty review. 4 cylinder Supra has an lsd while the now $40k Z does not. I'll argue that between the two Supra is the superior sports car. Those that have driven the two back this up. It's faster, stops better, and as mentioned quicker around track.

Haven't seen a comparison yet where Z is preferred. Here is a quote from Car & Driver

More from motor biscuit
Savagegeese have mentioned several times in their review that they prefer the Z.

The multilink is part of the IRS rear. Not uncommon.

Yes, we're all familiar with the C&D hit piece. However, just because the MKV is faster out of the box doesn't make it a "better" sports car. There's a lot more that goes into "better" than just lap times done by pro drivers. The Z is unfortunately handicapped by poor tires, soft dampners, and mediocre brakes from factory. My point is that I'm willing to bet that with the same tire, brake, and similar coilover setup, the Z would be make for the better sportscar since it's not as "edgy" as the MKV at the limit.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i never liked this convo of but if it had xyz... like why would u be able to add xyz and why wouldnt i just add xyz as well

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
i never liked this convo of but if it had xyz... like why would u be able to add xyz and why wouldnt i just add xyz as well
You certainly can. That's to my point though. The MKV was already given great dampners and tires from the factory, so there's only so much headroom for improvement even with an aftermarket set of coilovers.

Whereas the Z has crap dampners from factory, and so you have higher headroom with an aftermarket setup.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
i saw some coilover for this car and big brakes and then saw the price i was like hmmmm i think ill get wheels first before that lol

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Nonetheless Supra was 2 seconds faster in the Haggerty review.
For the large a majority of Z buyers lap time differences of a few seconds like this will have no importance (beyond their role in the perennial dick-waving contest that performance cars seem to trigger). Many other factors will take precedence over track times in their buying decision: appearance, engine power and sound, handling predictability, ride quality, steering feel, etc. Not denying the relevance of times for track rats but for them Nissan will have the Nismo. Look at the Miata, it's slow and on track in stock form it wallows around like a drunk on stilts in the corners, but it is still widely acclaimed as a great, engaging sports car for street use.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
For the large a majority of Z buyers lap time differences of a few seconds like this will have no importance (beyond their role in the perennial dick-waving contest that performance cars seem to trigger). Many other factors will take precedence over track times in their buying decision: appearance, engine power and sound, handling predictability, ride quality, steering feel, etc. Not denying the relevance of times for track rats but for them Nissan will have the Nismo. Look at the Miata, it's slow and on track in stock form it wallows around like a drunk on stilts in the corners, but it is still widely acclaimed as a great, engaging sports car for street use.
I was going hard the other morning. Not sure why.

I like the exterior a whole lot more on the Z. Car wouldn't be stock either. Maybe one day I will see for myself which I prefer.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Yes, we're all familiar with the C&D hit piece. However, just because the MKV is faster out of the box doesn't make it a "better" sports car. There's a lot more that goes into "better" than just lap times done by pro drivers. The Z is unfortunately handicapped by poor tires, soft dampners, and mediocre brakes from factory. My point is that I'm willing to bet that with the same tire, brake, and similar coilover setup, the Z would be make for the better sportscar since it's not as "edgy" as the MKV at the limit.
Since the chassis and suspension is basically 370Z, just look at the aftermarket and known track setups - coilovers, BBK, tires - it's all out there already. BTW, I see lots more 350Zs out pushing it than 370Zs, still similar suspension though.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
I was going hard the other morning. Not sure why.

I like the exterior a whole lot more on the Z. Car wouldn't be stock either. Maybe one day I will see for myself which I prefer.
Anyone that is on the fence about either car owes it to themselves to test drive both. That may not be possible for some time, but it should be done. No one should hang their purchase decision on magazine reviews.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
You certainly can. That's to my point though. The MKV was already given great dampners and tires from the factory, so there's only so much headroom for improvement even with an aftermarket set of coilovers.

Whereas the Z has crap dampners from factory, and so you have higher headroom with an aftermarket setup.

I can attest there is plenty of head room for improvement on the Zupras. They start off as a really really good track capable car and with some simple aftermarket stuff they can quickly become absolute track weapons.
I am pulling for the Zs, but it is really hard to root against BMW and their track prowess.

I am still hoping people track the Zs next season and they all won't become car show and street queens.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I can attest there is plenty of head room for improvement on the Zupras. They start off as a really really good track capable car and with some simple aftermarket stuff they can quickly become absolute track weapons.
I am pulling for the Zs, but it is really hard to root against BMW and their track prowess.

I am still hoping people track the Zs next season and they all won't become car show and street queens.
If I can get the Z end of this year/early next year I'll be coming up to VIR. Have to benchmark my S4 agains the Z.