LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
I enjoyed that, great summary. Lets face it, Nissan missed the mark. After a dozen test drives I've concluded that this isn't the fun and playful rocket ship that I was hoping for.
I think that review is a bit hyperbolic, but either way - yeah, very unfortunate. I'd still like to rent one on Turo when this damn car finally makes it into circulation... someday...

c1b05422-8022-483e-8b0d-2bd07f8f8dcc_text.gif

someday-some.gif

But by then, I'm sure that the simulation we'll all plug our minds into will be good enough that I won't even need to drive a real one.

Last edited:

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
Well I’m still waiting….this video has made me really question if it’s worth continuing to do so
As you know I also have a Proto and most the issues he talks about are non-issues or don't exist for me. There's no issue at all with any panel or stitching allignment or brakes. Everything is put together well on mine and I even double checked where the black bit meets the yellow and it's exactly the same on each side on mine. He got a very early car so maybe those things have since been sorted. Only things I really agree with him on are the suspension (though I don't really mind it to be honest as I'm not tracking/dragging the car) and the reverse camera. Though I am surprised he didn't mention you can barely see the infotainment screen in direct sunlight. The practicality issues are well known and you're not buying a 2 door coupe for it's practicality anyway.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
As you know I also have a Proto and most the issues he talks about are non-issues or don't exist for me. There's no issue at all with any panel or stitching allignment or brakes. Everything is put together well on mine and I even double checked where the black bit meets the yellow and it's exactly the same on each side on mine. He got a very early car so maybe those things have since been sorted. Only things I really agree with him on are the suspension (though I don't really mind it to be honest as I'm not tracking/dragging the car) and the reverse camera. Though I am surprised he didn't mention you can barely see the infotainment screen in direct sunlight. The practicality issues are well known and you're not buying a 2 door coupe for it's practicality anyway.
What may not be issues for you, are issues for others.
Sorry but for the price of the car we should have a reverse camera that works properly, we should have a painted roof…not one of high risk bubbling in the Aussie sun, we should have the same sized screen as the US, and we most certainly should have a integrated Sat nav….these are all things cars that cost 30k have included
It’s an everyday drive for me so a softer suspension actually works for me, but breaks (if true) is something that should never been negotiated on or poor tires as they are both safety risks …and as we can see people have already spun the car out and at least two write off, I’m guess due to one or a combination of both of these things

Again…this is an 84k car…not a 30-50k the things mentioned are standard on cheaper cars and trying to say it’s ok, just because they put a big engine in it with a lot of power actually doesn’t make it right in my opinion especially when they do track it, it’s not exceptionally better than a BRZ which sells for half the price in Australia.

If the economy wasn’t heading south now and I wasn’t tentative as to what would be happening in the future, I would have passed in my order and bought a BMW Z4 which is vastly superior in all aspects, quality, tech, comfort, and looks ….and I still might just do that, because they can give me a build date in July car arrival Sept/ Oct whist 2 years on my car is still not even on a ship.
It’s 25k more, but it’s money well spent

Last edited:

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
The black roof and hatch are a wrap they are not painted there is a definite ridge between the black on the hatch and the painted section.I have seen where it was peeling on the back side of the hatch.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
I enjoyed that, great summary. Lets face it, Nissan missed the mark. After a dozen test drives I've concluded that this isn't the fun and playful rocket ship that I was hoping for.
They really did. However, once you get it. It’s well worth it. For starters, you been waiting a long time. Second, you can make your own reviews when you drive it.
My personal review, it’s freakin awesome! I love driving it

cainen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FiestaST, TX3 Turbo, Tiguan R-Line, Proto Z
The black roof and hatch are a wrap they are not painted there is a definite ridge between the black on the hatch and the painted section.I have seen where it was peeling on the back side of the hatch.
Yep I know. Can definitely feel the ridge but in the vid he was showing how it hasn't been stuck on evenly on each side but on mine it's perfectly even.

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport

driving the z and supra back to back

Captain_Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Review: New Nissan Z Is Exactly What We Were Hoping For

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/05/driven-2023-nissan-z-is-exactly-what-we-were-hoping-for/

We can’t begin to imagine the pressure Nissan must have been under when it decided to launch a new Z sports car. Not only would the new model have to be good enough to live up to its predecessors and carry on the famed Z badge but it would also have to be more compelling than its rivals and feel modern enough to compete with cars that are becoming increasingly digitized and electrified.

So, has the Japanese automaker ticked all the boxes with the 2023 Z and created a must-have sports car? Let’s find out.

A few weeks back, we had the opportunity to drive the 2023 Nissan Z in Australia. We lived with it for 7 days and had big expectations. And we’re happy to report that it lived up to them.

Quick Facts
› Model:2023 Nissan Z
› Starting Price:AU$80,116 ($53,191) Including On-Road Costs
› Dimensions:172.4 in. (4,380 mm) L x 72.6 in. (1,845 mm) W x 51.8 in. (1,315 mm) H
› Curb Weight:1,581–1,634 kg (3,486–3,602 lb)
› Engine:3.0-Liter Twin-Turbo V6
› Output:400 hp (298 kW / 406 PS) & 350 lb-ft (475 Nm)
› Transmissions:6-Speed Manual / 9-Speed Automatic
› Fuel Economy9.8L/100km (24.0 MPG) Manual, 10.8L/100km (21.8 MPG) Automatic (Claimed)
› On Sale:Now

The Z line-up in Australia is very simple. Sitting at the base of the range is the Z Coupe, priced from AU$80,116 ($53,191) including all applicable on-road costs while sitting above it is the Z Proto with an AU$87,886 ($58,349) sticker price. However, all examples of the Z Proto bound for the Australian market were sold before the car’s local launch so it’s now only the Coupe that is available.

Local shoppers can order the Z with either a six-speed manual transmission or a nine-speed automatic, both at the same price. Regardless of which transmission a customer chooses, power comes from the same 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6 with 298 kW (400 hp) and 475 Nm (350 lb-ft) of torque, all of which is sent through the rear wheels courtesy of a limited-slip differential.

Prices and technical specifications of the 2023 Nissan Z are very competitive when compared to the 2023 Toyota GR Supra. In fact, the entry-level Supra GT with its 3.0-liter turbo six-cylinder pushing out 285 kW (382 hp) and 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) starts at AU$95,078 ($63,124) driveaway with either the six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic. The flagship Supra GTS is then priced from AU$105,598 ($70,109). A good start for the Nissan, then.

Retro is cool

We think Nissan’s designers have absolutely nailed the look of the new Z. Unlike the A90 Supra which shares virtually nothing in common with its predecessors, the Z takes obvious design inspiration from classics like the 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, and 300ZX while ignoring some of the questionable design decisions made with the 350Z and 370Z.

The side and rear profiles of the car are perhaps our favorite. We’re really fond of the stretched hood, the sharp character line stretching from the front quarter panel to the flush door handles, and the angular shape of the greenhouse. Some pundits remain unconvinced by the shape of the front grille but we found it to look less offensive in person than it does in photos.

What about the interior?

The cabin is a bit of a mixed bag. Nissan has done its best to try and differentiate the cockpit from that of the 370Z on which the new car is based but there are a host of parts that have been carried over with little or no changes, like the door handles and side air vents.

We loved some aspects of the interior. The 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster looks absolutely gorgeous and provides clear and detailed information but we did find the lack of customization a bit of a shame. A perfectly-sized steering wheel has also been fitted to the new Z, as have metal pedals, and three gauges on the center of the dashboard displaying battery voltage, turbo speed, and boost pressure.

The driving position is good but not great. Much like the Supra, the interior of the Z feels small and cramped and even with the driver’s seat positioned as low as it can go and as far back as possible, I would still brush my hair on the headliner, forcing me to slump into the seat just a tad. Anyone 6’2” and above will likely experience the same issues. Nissan’s decision to equip the seats with electronic slide and tilt functions but manual controls for other adjustments is also a little weird.

Then there’s the 8.0-inch infotainment screen. While the screen offers great clarity, it is rocking Nissan’s old software while feels extremely outdated compared to the system of the Supra and other new Nissan models like the X-Trail and Pathfinder. Australian-delivered examples also lack satellite navigation, meaning owners will be forced to rely on the wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The rear-view camera is also very poor and is comparable to watching a 144p video on YouTube.

Our tester was equipped with the six-speed manual and it includes a lovely spherical shift knob wrapped in leather that feels excellent in the hand. However, shoppers should know that the two cupholders in the center console are completely useless in cars with the stick shift as your arm will hit them. There’s also very little luggage space in the rear, just 241 liters (8.5 cubic-feet) to be exact, and sitting in the place of a spare wheel is a subwoofer for the Bose audio system.

Of course, very few of those individuals in the market for the Z will buy it because of its cabin. Instead, they will buy it for the thrills that it provides while behind the wheel. And boy does it deliver on this front.

Sporty yet comfortable

Headline figures of 298 kW (400 hp) at 6,400 rpm and 475 Nm (350 lb-ft) of torque are very impressive but making the Z feel particularly ferocious in a straight line is the fact that peak torque is found between 1,600 rpm and 5,600 rpm. This means that at almost any speed and in any gear, the car pulls strongly and throws your head back against the seat.

It’s hard to complain about the engine, originally used in Infiniti’s Red Sport models. Not only is it powerful, it can also be quite efficient, as long as you don’t drive like an absolute idiot. While cruising along motorways, our test car was sipping as little as 8.1 l/km (29 U.S. mpg), although over our week with the car this rose to an average of 12.9 l/km (18.2 U.S. mpg).

One critique we do have about the engine is the sound. There just isn’t much of it. It doesn’t matter how high your rev out the engine, it remains relatively muted and there’s almost no audible sound coming from the exhaust that can be heard from in the cabin. The sound is particularly mediocre when compared to the cracks and pops from the exhaust of the Supra.

Nissan’s decision to sell the Z with both a six-speed manual and a nine-speed automatic was a great idea and the stick shift pairs brilliantly with the engine. It is a short and heavy throw and also includes an excellent rev-matching system. No, it isn’t one of the best manual transmissions on the market but that’s okay.

We also found the new Nissan Z to be much more tail happy than the Supra we drove a couple of years ago. If it’s damp, it’ll spin up the rear wheels at 40% throttle in third gear even with the traction control enabled but this does add a level of excitement to the car that we found was missing on the Toyota. It is also much more lively on the exit of corners and can be quite a handful if you’re not paying attention.

Models sold in Australia come standard with 19-inch wheels wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires. These tires offer unnerving levels of grip in dry conditions, encouraging you to push the Z harder and harder into corners without any signs of losing traction. There is a little bit more body roll than we expected but that’s not a bad thing as the trade-off is a sports car that is extremely comfortable over testing surfaces.

In fact, the ride quality of the Z perhaps impressed us the most. Even though it doesn’t have adjustable dampers, it simply doesn’t need them. We found it to have a more plush and refined ride over speed bumps than many sedans and SUVs we’ve tested over the past 12 months. It is also more compliant than the Supra.

A well-rounded package

Is the Nissan Z a car without fault? No, it’s not. However, small issues such as those related to the old infotainment system, the carry-over parts from the 370Z, and the muted engine fade into insignificance when you start to drive it. The Supra may be more polished, but the Z is more fun. Plus, it’s also AU$15,000 (~$10,000) cheaper.