Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
Just a few thoughts on initial break in. The owners manual says 1200 miles below 4K rpmā€™s. Dang Iā€™ve already busted that recommendation severals timesšŸ˜³ I understand how important break in can be but 1200 is a lot IMHO. My C8 was programmed below 4500rpm for the first 500 miles. Thoughts on this break in period??

C1E26549-6161-4385-ADE3-D82585E88846.jpeg
Our Supras have the same break-in period. Try not bounce off the rev limiter during this time. I would vary the speed and work your way up on aggressive driving as you put miles on it.

Once you hit 1200 miles send it like it was stolen. After that change the oil and youā€™re good.

-RJM

Cold

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Wow, thank you for all information and congratulations!
I think you have a lot of experience with another cars maybe you can compare your feelings with another cars? BMW M2, Supra, maybe something else?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Just a few thoughts on initial break in. The owners manual says 1200 miles below 4K rpmā€™s. Dang Iā€™ve already busted that recommendation severals timesšŸ˜³ I understand how important break in can be but 1200 is a lot IMHO. My C8 was programmed below 4500rpm for the first 500 miles. Thoughts on this break in period??

C1E26549-6161-4385-ADE3-D82585E88846.jpeg
My thoughts are that since you paid a little extra for a car you have been waiting a long time for, may as well follow the manual. Just get out and drive it as much as possible to get past the miles!

My personal opinion is that the recommended break-in period is debatable. Some cars plausibly could benefit from being run hard when new. But, at the same time, there's a lot of stuff on newer cars that may not like that, and newer oils....well, like I said, debatable.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
It is perfect for almost all owners. If you want track modify it. But to all the negative reviews on the track and 0-60 runsā€¦who cares this car is So smooth and DAMN Gorgeous looking. Like a Beautiful LadyšŸ˜³ No other car out there has this design!!
CONGRATS and thanks for the initial inputs!šŸ‘ It looks to be buttoned down nicely, quiet cruiser as an overall package, huge improvement from prev Z34s. I wonder if that floaty feeling is due to the soft springs as designed to take out harshness. I'd say tires and stiffen up the spring rates and damping would really wake up this Z even more, and this is just for street driving. Track is another story all together, I've got my plans.

As for those break-in miles, just follow the recommended but after 500 miles vary your speeds more, even touching red line is fine, briefly. Drive it like you normally drive it, variety of engine speeds, put more load on uphills, etc, gives more flexibility and longevity in the long run.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Drive that thing like you stole it for break in! No need to baby it. Shoot, I had my Supra on the track with only 500 miles on it. Lots of boost and lots of coasting in gear will get those rings seated in nicely.

What oil comes in the engine? Is it watery 0w20 like the Supras?

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Drive that thing like you stole it for break in! No need to baby it. Shoot, I had my Supra on the track with only 500 miles on it. Lots of boost and lots of coasting in gear will get those rings seated in nicely.

What oil comes in the engine? Is it watery 0w20 like the Supras?
Yeah im pretty sure thats not recommended at all.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
71zman

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
Our Supras have the same break-in period. Try not bounce off the rev limiter during this time. I would vary the speed and work your way up on aggressive driving as you put miles on it.

Once you hit 1200 miles send it like it was stolen. After that change the oil and youā€™re good.

-RJM
Makes Sense..lā€™ll go with this advice. Thanks!

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
You're comparing the Z to a race car? Interesting
No, I would never. Everyone knows it's just a GT car.

At the end of the day, an engine is an engine. They all work the same way, except for those pesky rotarys. Doesn't matter what vehicle it's in.