BMW recalls Supra (again)... Why didn't you by the Supra instead of the Z?

Which one are you getting?

• Total voters

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
My 2007 is the 5AT and I Love It, thinking about doing the valve body upgrade to it.
Hopefully Nissan has taken some 'learnings' from the Titan product line and has the programming ironed out for the Z!

Z34_2.0

First Name
Homer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
This thread is entertaining. šŸ˜†šŸæ

The brake recall is only for the dopes that donā€™t know how to start their cars. Plus its a simple firmware update at the dealershipā€¦no biggie

The broken plastic was caused by someone that ripped off their cover in haste and tweaked the mounting post.

Iā€™m sure our lovely Zā€™s will also have 1st year problems and recalls.

-RJM
What about this tidbit.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/car-excessively-burning-oil.8084/

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
so in terms of performance and reliability, which is worst, GR86 built by another group of Asisns (i.e. Subaru) or Supra built by the Europeans (i.e. Magna Styer)?

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
so in terms of performance and reliability, which is worst, GR86 built by another group of Asisns (i.e. Subaru) or Supra built by the Europeans (i.e. Magna Styer)?

The boxster subi engines by far worse

basically every 2013 blew. They all have issues, even the newer ones. The track guys I know- LOVE the weight and handling- they just put up with the engines grenading as cost of doing business. Do not know any track friends with them on original engine

As far as Supra oil consumption- yes it is true in some 2021s
There is no rhyme or reason it seems.
bad rings or bad ring install is the issue. I have 2021 friends that burn a quart every 1000 miles and 2021 friends that do not burn a drop.

I may have it on my 2021? I need a quart every 3-4 track days, but it is only driven on the track and is driven at 6000 rpm basically off and on all day 20-30 mins at a time. So it may be normal for track use. I change the oil every 2 months anyway.

The 2-port 2020 have no oil issues and so far no reports from 2022 owners.

just another car nut sharing true intel

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
The boxster subi engines by far worse
This. Say what you will about the MKV (and I have šŸ˜‚), it doesn't appear to be unreliable by any metric, and it's CERTAINLY more reliable than a Subi engine (any subi engine lol). Beleive it or not, the most reliable Subi engines are the ones that are built to the 9s. Check out Gears and Gasoline as they currently have a great build series on non-Asian Ben's Subi (that's legit how the two Bens that run the channel differentiate themselves šŸ¤£).

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Ever since the EJ series engine, Subarus can be startlingly expensive to maintain past 100k miles. Heck, the turbo ones are even worse.

My wife was a big fan of the EJ generation Impreza, we had 3. One even lost the HG at 42k.
It took a lot of effort to talk her out of her favorite AWD car and into a fwd Toyota, but I was getting tired of the un-japanese like issues Subarus have.

I know the newer Subarus no longer use the EJ, but I've heard my neighbors early FA Subarus have some issues, and of course the damn CVT.....

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
Iā€™ve had my WRX for 6 years as a daily with no problems at all. But then again, Iā€™m not trying be all ā€œbig turbo 500hp street racerā€ etc. People just donā€™t know how to maintain certain cars. They think just because itā€™s Japanese that they can do whatever dumb sht they want to it and itā€™ll keep running.

Last edited:

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Yep, there's no real problems with modern boxer engines more than there are with any other type of normal engine.
"A modern Subaru 2.5L engine should have no problem lasting over 200,000 miles as long as you take care of it. There are plenty of 2.5L engines that have lasted over 300,000 miles as well when owners have done the regular maintenance on them such as oil changes, spark plug changes, and coolant changes."​

"The latest Subaru boxer engines are part of the FB series boxer engines. This engine series has done well in reliability tests, and specifically the FB20D has been praised for its reliability."​
"Due to the low, wide mount, the boxer engine can prove difficult to service. Even changing spark plugs can be a substantial job. However, boxer engines are known for their reliability, and should require less service than most other engine types."​

It's some of the older ones from a decade ago which might have issues ...

"Gasket problems and engine repairs sometimes happen, including the Outback from 2000 to 2011 and the Legacy between 2000 and 2009. Consumer Reports says the 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5-liter engine is most at risk for needing an expensive engine rebuild."​

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Supposedly this car comes with an odd alignment which causes bump steer issues.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60