Sponsored

(Hagerty) How fast is the new $50k Nissan Z? — New Z vs Supra vs Mustang Mach-1

jezzza

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 2, 2021
Threads
48
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
2,250
Location
Australia
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Unfortunately that's precisely what too many of these "must be first" fools do. They simply have to have the latest toy on the block and in a couple of years they'll be selling off their "must have it now Z" for whatever is then the new toy on the block (the new Honda S2000 perhaps, probably electric / hybrid). You just have to watch some of these review videos when they're talking of the cars they've actually owned ... "I had a 3670Z", "I had a Mustang", "I had a Corvette" ... they upgrade their cars almost as quickly as their cellphones. They aren't really interested in the actual car at all, but simply the bragging rights to be first of their friends to own each one.
Who are these people? No one that I've met and surely no one who's active on forums like this.

I've never purchased a new vehicle before but put in a Z preorder 12 months ago through sheer excitement of a unique sports car with an epic history. I really would like delivery as soon as possible for my own driving pleasure. I'd say there's many others here with a similar story.
 

Denver the Last Dinosaur

Well-Known Member
First Name
Denver
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
690
Reaction score
752
Location
Gone
Car(s)
cardboard box
No one that I've met and surely no one who's active on forums like this.
You would hope not, but it's probable there's a couple, even if they're not the regular posters.

I can also see some selfish idiots out there pre-ordering and buying them simply to scalp it on eBay or wherever at an even higher price due to the initial difficulty in getting one. :(
 

West Aussie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
3,601
Reaction score
5,762
Location
Australia
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Who are these people? No one that I've met and surely no one who's active on forums like this.

I've never purchased a new vehicle before but put in a Z preorder 12 months ago through sheer excitement of a unique sports car with an epic history. I really would like delivery as soon as possible for my own driving pleasure. I'd say there's many others here with a similar story.
I like you @jezzza have also had my name down for over a year…patiently waiting…in the meantime I also sold my actual car and now drive my youngest sons, so yes I’d like a car to call my own again.
Not everyone is a super brat that wants everything now

As to people pushing prices up in the US…I would disagree …I would say that is the dealers sheer greed that does that.
No matter the demand in Aus and Canada the price will be the same…so don’t go blaming the consumer Denver
 

Loco38SUP

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 14, 2022
Threads
9
Messages
290
Reaction score
672
Location
Seattle
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
No they were too amped up on the free Red Bulls Nissan provided at the press release.

His comment that many of these Z’s will be found wadded up on Copart was alarming.

-RJM
 

rocksandblues

Well-Known Member
First Name
bob
Joined
May 12, 2022
Threads
6
Messages
414
Reaction score
878
Location
VA
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
No they were too amped up on the free Red Bulls Nissan provided at the press release.

His comment that many of these Z’s will be found wadded up on Copart was alarming.

-RJM

To be fair- there are so many high hp cars these days across almost every manufacturer Nissan will not own the COpart crown exclusively.

So many drivers out there could wreck an anvil.

We live in the golden age of sports cars really. I am surprised big brother hasnt tried to limit horsepower and our fun- but part of me suspects the high gas prices are kind of intentional to push the demise of ICE
 

because_murica

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Threads
10
Messages
546
Reaction score
1,739
Location
'Murica
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
No they were too amped up on the free Red Bulls Nissan provided at the press release.

His comment that many of these Z’s will be found wadded up on Copart was alarming.

-RJM
Alarming if you're an 80 year old grandma maybe. Anyone who's been into cars longer than 5min knows that relatively affordable sports cars will attract novice drivers. Which is why Mustangs have been recognized by JD Power as #1 in crowd control in initial testing.
 

because_murica

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2021
Threads
10
Messages
546
Reaction score
1,739
Location
'Murica
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
I think SG mentioned top speed limits. Is that not obvious? Most cars are limited to 155mph from factory. The limiter is easily removed via a tune. And all you need for increased stability is a larger wing. Even a large duck tail like Fosberg has will do.
 

therumblewagon

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jun 22, 2021
Threads
31
Messages
1,438
Reaction score
3,355
Location
California
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Alarming if you're an 80 year old grandma maybe. Anyone who's been into cars longer than 5min knows that relatively affordable sports cars will attract novice drivers. Which is why Mustangs have been recognized by JD Power as #1 in crowd control in initial testing.
I chortled
 

DevonK

Well-Known Member
First Name
Take a guess
Joined
Mar 27, 2021
Threads
18
Messages
1,027
Reaction score
1,718
Location
Toronto
Car(s)
TBD
I have seen a couple of reviewers comment about somewhat numb on-centre steering feel.

When I quoted Camissa's instagram feed stating that the GR86 was "way more fun" though Jack from Savagegeese responded here with "nonsense". It appears two of the most respected reviewers, both of whom had way more track time with the Z than anyone else (and weren't limited to modest lead-follow pacing), have some pretty fundamental disagreements about this car's handling and drivability. Hard to know what to make of it all.
 

StrikeS30

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
635
Reaction score
1,139
Location
Paisley, Ontario, Canada
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Who are these people? No one that I've met and surely no one who's active on forums like this.

I've never purchased a new vehicle before but put in a Z preorder 12 months ago through sheer excitement of a unique sports car with an epic history. I really would like delivery as soon as possible for my own driving pleasure. I'd say there's many others here with a similar story.
Same here. This will be the 6th Z I've owned so far. I'm buying this out of sheer excitement and joy. And, well I am getting older now too, so yolo. Do I care to be the first guy on the block with one, or some crazy bragging rights online? Not at all. I spent a couple years on and off about buying a Nismo 370. I just couldn't bite. I don't know what it was. Maybe I wasn't quite as financially stable as I am now, or maybe I had a deep feeling something new may come. But, alas May 2020 rolls around. Terrible year as we all know. But, as soon as they teased that new Proto. I was excited. VERY excited. From that day from the first Nissan NEXT A-Z silhouette video with the screen shots, and people trying to enhance it to see that car, I knew I had to have one to add to the collection. The hype was building. I knew this was the one for me.

I have a lot of Z's, yes. But, I wanted something that I can hop in and just go. No worries, a nice summer driver. The old cars are fantastic, but damn they're temperamental at the best of times :D

And for the people who are scared about the first ones, year one, first year problems. I'm sure it may have a few bugs. Things will smooth out. TSB's may be issued. Year two, three or 4 IF it exists will maybe add a few trim options, or colors, and maybe a few revisions. But, look at what it is. It's going to be maintained, drivin and enjoyed by some of the greatest gear-heads and enthusiast community around. And it's also built in the new Nissan Intelligent Factory, so there's also that.

It's some what of a halo car for Nissan and their re-imaging. They want this to succeed. I guarantee you they will make sure ALL of the cars coming off the line are right.
 

West Aussie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Threads
8
Messages
3,601
Reaction score
5,762
Location
Australia
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I have seen a couple of reviewers comment about somewhat numb on-centre steering feel.

When I quoted Camissa's instagram feed stating that the GR86 was "way more fun" though Jack from Savagegeese responded here with "nonsense". It appears two of the most respected reviewers, both of whom had way more track time with the Z than anyone else (and weren't limited to modest lead-follow pacing), have some pretty fundamental disagreements about this car's handling and drivability. Hard to know what to make of it all.
Not really…it comes down to personal preference a great deal of the time…like most things in life
I wouldn’t touch a BRZ or 86 …but that’s just me maybe
 
 






Top