OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Was similar for me while living in Colorado. More sand than salt used during winter. For that reason and the more arid climate, Colorado was a playland of older non-rusted vehicles. Although paint/window dings were more of a thing, along with people sliding off the roads.

Chicago is a rust belt nightmare though. I avoid the winter driving salt as much as possible on vehicles I care about. Have had to fight salt corrosion entire time living here. :(
Nice. Yea Iā€™m in Calgary more arid and similar to Denver/Colorado I think

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I would talk to people in your area and see what they have to say. Studded tires in that size? Not sure about that.
What would be the ideal winter size you think? Given the stock summers are I think 255/275

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
If I canā€™t get my Z in time for summer I might just get the Corolla GR, better for winter šŸ˜‚

Numbersguy

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37
Occupation
IT
Any sandbags in the trunk?
I personally like putting some extra weight in the hatch just to settle the backend down in winter weather. Life's too short to not drive this machine year round. So throw some winter tires on and have at it. That's my plan!

Z hope

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura
Occupation
Retired
What would be the ideal winter size you think? Given the stock summers are I think 255/275
Typically in the snow the wider the tire is the worse it is in the snow. The gr would do much better in the snow . I believe? Itā€™s all wheel drive , thatā€™s a good thing !

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I personally like putting some extra weight in the hatch just to settle the backend down in winter weather. Life's too short to not drive this machine year round. So throw some winter tires on and have at it. That's my plan!
What winter tires do you like?

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
I plan to daily drive my Z and we can get quite a bit of snow up here in a Canada. I watched some of the reviews and most said the Z is a little more tail happy than other cars. Do you think this is something to worry about with good winter tires and also having a LSD with the performance model?
Hell na. If I get any sports car Iā€™m not driving it in the winter

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Hell na. If I get any sports car Iā€™m not driving it in the winter
Some of us canā€™t afford 2 cars šŸ˜‚ especially when youā€™re paying 60k for the Z. Not gonna pass it up just because itā€™s not ideal for the winter

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I asked a 370-owning neighbour who drives his in winter about going with all seasons year round, he laughed and said no way with the Z's power.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Some of us canā€™t afford 2 cars šŸ˜‚ especially when youā€™re paying 60k for the Z. Not gonna pass it up just because itā€™s not ideal for the winter
I hear ya

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
I drove this past winter on Vredestein Wintrack Performance Winter tire and it was great. In mid-Missouri we don't always have a ton of snow and the performance winter tires did a great job on the cold, dry pavement and were workable in 2-3 inches of snow. They even weren't horrible when it got above 50 *F.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
If your winters aren't hellacious, I'd get Continental DWS06 tires.
They work fairly good as an all-season tire that has decent performance and is rated for winter driving.

I use them on my Q60. All year around.

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I've daily driven my 370Z for the last 3 years I've had it now and I live in PA, US. We get a fair bit of snow from November-March. I got a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3s that I put on in the winter. I've never had to really drive it in deep snow and I wouldn't if it snows more then 2 inches even with winter tires personally. I also got four 50LB sand bags to put in my trunk if I see snow storm on the forecast and I have to drive somewhere, but again I've been fortunate not having to drive through any major snow in my car.

Bottom line, get good winter tires if you daily drive and encounter snow.
Good to know, do you think having the sandbags in all the time would significantly impact fuel economy?