DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Just a few points.

If Harris stood alone in his criticIsms of the 370Z, he could be considered eccentric and given very little weight. But the truth is most of the serious reviewers in the past few years have had major reservations about the car as a contemporary competitor to sports cars like the twins or the new Supra. Now should I as a shopper ignore the reviews and make a decision solely on the basis of a 30 minute test drive or 2 in city traffic during which there will be no chance to really push the car, or should I factor in the perspectives of reviewers who have been able to push it hard at the track and on the road for much longer periods, have better driving skills than I do, and have for comparison a wealth of experience driving other cars in its class that I could never match? I'm not talking about the YouTube butt-kissers here, who are so grateful to get loaners they wouldn't dream of saying anything really negative about any car. It's pretty easy to suss those guys out.

As Troublesome says, the bones are there in the 370 as a basis for making the new Z a very strong contender, notably the use of double wishbones at the front end of the 370 and the extensive use of aluminium components. As to criteria for judging the success of the effort, for me the key factor won't be the tech, the style, or even the engine performance (that's a given anyways), it will be the degree to which it delivers real driving engagement through telepathic road feel, great steering and braking feedback, and neutral, agile handling without being snappy or uncontrollable at the limit. If it can give us 90% of what the new 86 will deliver on those dimensions, then given its greater power and better suitability for longer-distance hauls, it should be a big success. Why only 90%? For what the car is going to cost, I don't think Nissan's team will be able to fully overcome the negative effect its extra 500-600 lbs will have on its subjective agility. It's very difficult to make a 3400 lb car feel light on its feet. Big rubber etc. may give it great slalom numbers, but that's not the same thing.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
All this pre-analysis is moot right now, no matter how lengthy, whoa, until we get our hands behind the wheel (and shift?!) @Devon is right about the new Z having the proper 'bones' of the 370Z as a good basis. I for one will track mine as soon as it's broken in, can't wait! It will be MY feedback then against others I've owned and tracked - M3, Mazdaspeed Miata, STi, 240Z - to compare how balanced the new Z will be, e.g. no snap oversteer, no push understeer, corner exit behavior. That's 90% for me, the remaining is street stuff, not much keying on that, I'll take some sacrifices.

There are only a few magazine reviews/comparos/reviewers I follow, testers that do decent analysis, not just stats wars and bench racing.

This wait is too long!!

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
I wonder if Nissan is done retooling the Tochigi plant?

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
You would have to think this means the Z is now in production. If the 370 is no more, they won’t leave a factory idol...the optimist in me would like to believe this is a round about way of saying the Z is almost ready
That and the fact that they have been advertising this thing like crazy in commercials and car shows. Plus the images of the silver and grey models that leaked and looked production ready.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
So much for all the "reports" about Nissan carrying over the 370Z into the 21 MY until the 22 Z35 arrivals.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
at this point, i am 99% certain the new Z is already in production. honestly, it probably has been in production for a good bit. with the current issues with supply and chip for the electronics, it would be the smart thing to do. build up stock prior to launch so that you dont have a C8 issue.

not_howard

First Name
Not Howard...
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only Hotwheels
VR Swapped 370Z / Z1 Beat Nissan to the launch --> Infiniti Q50 Engine Swapped Nissan 370Z Review: 400Z on a Budget?

I saw this a month ago got all excited because he basically made the new Z and forgot to post. You should check out his channel he seems like a pretty chill guy. Anyway kind of gives an idea of what to expect even though he has got some other mods.

Dyno test

Video on his channel