bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
2023-nissan-z-manual-gear-shifter-m.jpg

In normal everyday driving, when do you upshift? Looking at the owner manual, it seems like the suggested upshift speeds (even for quick acceleration) are pretty tame.

Screenshot_20230218-114434~3.png

6th gear at 37mph? Really?

The "quick acceleration" upshift speeds in the owner manual are what I'd call normal acceleration. With my G37 I generally don't go into 6th until over 60mph.

Am I just an aggro driver?

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
I shift whenever I feel like it😳. Took the Z for a spin today. Tore loose the rear wheels twice. So FUN!! Cold and the stock rubber is 💩. Think the recommended is for Tame drivers 🤣🤣

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I shift whenever I feel like it😳. Took the Z for a spin today. Tore loose the rear wheels twice. So FUN!! Cold and the stock rubber is 💩. Think the recommended is for Tame drivers 🤣🤣
...at ALL temperatures! :rolleyes: (sorry guys too much caffeine got me going!)

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Just shift when it feels right.

Also, who the fuck shifts into top gear under 40mph?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier

Georges1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
I would not load up the engine at lower speeds. When I drive my 240 I shift around 3,500-5,000 RPM’s and let my ear and the way the car is feeling tell me to move to a different gear. When I get on the 240 I shift around 6,500 RPM. I will drive the new Z using the “feel” of the engine & car in general after break in, but will not “lug” the engine during or after break in. I have accidentally hit the rev limiter in past cars, with a limiter equipped, but definitely do not like to do that. The Z engine is made to run and have fun with.

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
I cant believe this is a thread.

what's next?

When do you fill up?
How wet does the windshield get before you put the wipers on?
How often do flip up OR flip down the sun visor and what is your preferred position?

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I cant believe this is a thread.

what's next?

When do you fill up?
How wet does the windshield get before you put the wipers on?
How often do flip up OR flip down the sun visor and what is your preferred position?
Why not? You gotta admit the owner manual is super conservative, and I seriously doubt anyone who uses this car as a daily driver takes it to red line on every shift. Just curious to see when people turn on the wipers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hshift.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Why not? You gotta admit the owner manual is super conservative, and I seriously doubt anyone who uses this car as a daily driver takes it to red line on every shift. Just curious to see when people turn on the wipers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hshift.
Nobody has ever read the owner's manual to learn shift points.

Well, except you I guess.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Gotta keep myself entertained while I'm waing for Nissan to build some Zs.

Your first manual?
Just go drive and enjoy it. You will learn a lot more by exploring things yourself. Even if the car has been out a while, why wait for someone to answer. Just go check it out. Get a feel for yourself and get use to the sounds. It's safer that way than to stare at the cluster because someone said to shift at a certain rpm.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Your first manual?
Just go drive and enjoy it. You will learn a lot more by exploring things yourself. Even if the car has been out a while, why wait for someone to answer. Just go check it out. Get a feel for yourself and get use to the sounds. It's safer that way than to stare at the cluster because someone said to shift at a certain rpm.
Nope. I've had several manuals. My first was a 1978 Datsun B210 1400cc 4MT (honeycomb hubcaps!), and my current is a 2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT.

At this point I rarely look at the tach (or the speedometer 😜) and just drive with my mood.

I seem to recall that the G37 manual (yes, I read that one too, but years ago now) said not to use 6th unless over 60mph (I'll have to go dig that up), so when I saw 37mph for "normal" acceleration, I was a little surprised.

Anyone out there who has a Z 6MT, I'd love to hear how you think the car feels in 6th at 37mph.

If I ever get my hands on one I'll report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mud